PDA

View Full Version : VERY Noob Question: are these terms the same?

denot
20-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

Are these terms the same:
1. Coil overs
2. Suspension
3. Springs

If not, can any1 help with what are the differences?

Thanks alot...

CUL8R
20-12-2006, 03:13 PM
they are all related with suspension

coilovers are a shock/spring combination with damper and height adjustable
springs are obviously a spring which will work with ur shock

denot
20-12-2006, 03:15 PM
they are all related with suspension

coilovers are a shock/spring combination with damper and height adjustable
springs are obviously a spring which will work with ur shock

hm... thanks for this... its all clear now... =p

saxman
20-12-2006, 03:17 PM
they're all related, but not the same.

Suspension is a general term, refering to a series of components that work together. Includes the springs, the shocks, the control arms, the bushing, etc. Basically everything around the wheels that move up and down.

Springs are a part of suspension. They go over the shocks, and well, are springs. Pretty selfexplanitory.

Coilovers are a variation on springs. They're basically a spring with an adjustable perch, either seperate, or mounted on a shock body, that allows for adjustment as to where the spring sits.

Make sense?

Mr_will
20-12-2006, 03:19 PM
no they are not the same. if you searched the terms on google you would find answers very quickly.

in simple/concise terms

coilovers = shock with a spring encircling it, made as a preassembled unit from the factory. they make for optimal dampening without torsional loads

springs (compression springs in the case of car suspension) are just metal wound around a cylindrical mold, which resist compression and maintain contact between two moving surfaces

a shock absorber is designed to smooth out harsh changes in the height of the road by allowing the wheel to move in a fluid motion, rather than just crashing up and down. it dissipates kinetic energy, and stops the car bouncing up and down, as would be the case if springs were used alone.

the inside of the shock is filled with air, or hydraulic fluid which acts as a damper for the piston, which is acted upon by movement of the wheel

aimre
20-12-2006, 10:09 PM
no they are not the same. if you searched the terms on google you would find answers very quickly.

in simple/concise terms

coilovers = shock with a spring encircling it, made as a preassembled unit from the factory. they make for optimal dampening without torsional loads

thats right. everyone on this site seems to think konis etc are coilovers, well they are, but so are ur STOCK units

denot
28-12-2006, 10:59 AM
So thats means I just need to change my "spring" to "coilcovers" for better handling? or do I need to change all of the "suspension"?

jdm_kid
28-12-2006, 12:02 PM
So thats means I just need to change my "spring" to "coilcovers" for better handling? or do I need to change all of the "suspension"?

pretty much coilovers are a replacement of ur old / stock suspension (shocks & springs) .. but better built and have more features.

For better handling get sway bars / strut bars etc. These are suspension items too.

RMN15N
28-12-2006, 08:57 PM

Instead of having just lowerd springs in your car,
change to something like tien SS coilovers or if you have deeper pockets,
go for cusco or Buddyclub N1 branded coil overs because there height adjustable,damper so you can set it to how ever it suits you.

also grab, front and rear sway bars, Whiteline should have for any model car,
front & rear strut braces to increase rigidity
u can also add some lower tie bars etc for bling.

bennjamin
28-12-2006, 09:18 PM
the term "coilover" is a literal description of any suspension setup that the spring goes OVER/AROUND the shock....

The reason why we still call adjustable setups such as TEIN SS (example) "coilovers" , is that the Japanese titled these in that category - due to literal translation ( heard of engrish?)
So . we and everyone follows suit.

To be 100% correct as said above , there is only static "setups" and adjustable "setups".

denot
29-12-2006, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=RMN15N;1019211]
go for cusco or Buddyclub N1 branded coil overs because there height adjustable,damper so you can set it to how ever it suits you.
QUOTE]

Can any1 suggest what other "second class" brands that doesnt cost much but works almost as good as these "top class" brands? Its for the new 06 Civic basically

ty...

RMN15N
30-12-2006, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=RMN15N;1019211]
QUOTE]

Can any1 suggest what other "second class" brands that doesnt cost much but works almost as good as these "top class" brands? Its for the new 06 Civic basically

ty...

there are many "second class" brands but,
there still going to set you back at least 700-800,
sussy is a very important part of your car for high speed cornering,
sharp turns etc.. so you might as well invest in a good "setup"