PDA

View Full Version : Engine Vibration/Laggy feeling/PONG!

SIKCVC
08-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Hey guys :P again, good to be back online again...

I'm just wondering do you guys experince a fair bit of engine vibration as you push the revs at around 4500rpm plus? Its not violent, but its noticable in the peddles and in the gear stick.

Also, engine felt a bit laggy today when i drove, now the last few times i've driven the car its been at night and temps down below 10-15deg. I dont have a CAI on as I just want to be able to hear if the engines running well for a week or so. but it is sucking air from behind the front bar. when i say laggy i mean, 5th gear going from 100 to 120km it lags a little, maybe i was just giving it too much gas.

Also that pong sound coming from the exhaust manifold, I'm getting it even at idle now. I'm thinking its just the manifold cooling from running temps. NO idea though :P

Oh well.

Thanks guys

Nick

Kit
08-06-2004, 07:32 PM
With engine/car vibration, it could be that you have broken or breaking engine mounts. but best to get a mechanic to check it cos they can determine if it is or not.

what do you mean by the pong sound?

SIKCVC
08-06-2004, 07:38 PM
theres only one engine mount thats wearing which is the lower sump mount, EG-6 will do :P all the other mounts are in very good condition.

Pong as in wooden spoon on metal.

Nuttz
08-06-2004, 07:49 PM
does it make a pong sound often like 1 a second, or 1 a minute?? or is just a single sound

SIKCVC
08-06-2004, 07:51 PM
its the usual PONG... sound every 45sec to 1 min. its just started doing it when the engines at idle... dad says not to stress but meh i want to.

Nuttz
08-06-2004, 08:10 PM
maybe you just need to torque down your bolts.

SIKCVC
08-06-2004, 08:12 PM
hhhmmmm I'm thinking i'll double check the bolts as well as the engine mounts

Kit
08-06-2004, 09:10 PM
with regards to the pong noise, it could be just the heatshield on the exhaust manifold cooling down after driving.

my exhaust goes *ping* all the time at idle cos its cooling down

about your car feeling laggy, that can be attributed to a broken engine mount too

Chris

SIKCVC
08-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Just a quick update if it helps:
The plugs are fairly black, so pretty rich mixture
the throttle has very good response and the revs kick very quickly (opening the throttle up full from idle) BUT it feels laggy between 3000 to 4500-5000RPM I thought it might be the mounts too but when just cruising and sitting on revs, if i try to accell hard, the car jumps and pulls like it would normally (as in it doesn't appear to lose energy into the mounts).

Maybe I'm just used to what its like and thats why but i dunno I still think it feels a little laggier than the other day.

I'm starting to think its just a bad batch of fuel.

SIKCVC
09-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Any help with running rich guys? I checked my plugs after driving today and they were fair black :shock: so i cleaned them, put my pod back on (thinking it might just be the stock panel filter) went out for about 20 mins, fairly hard driving and they're black again. As i said its either just bad batch or fuel or it could be something worse, like worn fuel filter (might replace anyway its been in there for a while, how long do they last usually just out of curiosity), poor plug gap (cant find that info anywhere... dont say bonet, it doesn't help) or screwed emitions... possibly the o2 sensor... its the trade mark rich running and laggy feeling of the o2 sensor... But i hope i'm wrong.

bennjamin
09-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Any help with running rich guys? I checked my plugs after driving today and they were fair black :shock: so i cleaned them, put my pod back on (thinking it might just be the stock panel filter) went out for about 20 mins, fairly hard driving and they're black again. As i said its either just bad batch or fuel or it could be something worse, like worn fuel filter (might replace anyway its been in there for a while, how long do they last usually just out of curiosity), poor plug gap (cant find that info anywhere... dont say bonet, it doesn't help) or screwed emitions... possibly the o2 sensor... its the trade mark rich running and laggy feeling of the o2 sensor... But i hope i'm wrong.

Try to run premium unleaded...either Mobil Synergy or BP ultimate seems to be best :)
Replace your fuel filter too - they should be replaced every 30,000kms or so ?!?
Spark plug gap should not be a problem - out of the box normal NGK's are already ok.
"trade mark running rich" ? Have u checked your ECU codes at all ? Possibly , after replacing things like fuel filter , fresh tank of premium fuel etc- try resetting your ECU (disconnect your battery negative for 10 seconds, then reconnect) - and let the cars computer automatically sort out the problem for you :) BUT after please be easy upon the car in the next day or so as the ECU re-adjusts.

If after still in doubt......take it to a good mechanic and describe all u have to us !

SIKCVC
09-06-2004, 01:42 AM
well the only thing i should change is the fuel filter :P I dont know anyone who runs anything BUT premium, especially on a JDM engine :P I know its the most obvious thing, but I'd never run regular, I dont like running premium but I dont have a choice.

I ran synargy first and it was pretty good, then i ran optimax and it was pretty good, bit more kick, then i went back to synargy for a bit and it was fine, toped up with optimax again today and then it started to lag a little.

I also have no ECU codes, BUT i did run the engine rather hard fairly closly after i recet the ECU :? stupid me :P Oh well I'll replace the filter clean the plugs up and reset it again... Do'h 5th-6th time in a week. How far should i drive it before giving it some stick?

Kit
09-06-2004, 10:17 AM
hmmm, if you're plugs weren't black, i think you would have a problem

SIKCVC
09-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Oh ok then :P my dad (ol exhaust susy/worked on many a car) seemed to think that they were too black... but if its normal on a honda I'll just reset my ECU and top up with synargy and see how she runs :P

Thanks again

Nick

Kit
09-06-2004, 12:18 PM
well, if they were really really black, then perhaps your car is running too rich, but if you have the usual bolt-ons like I/H/E without any other major mods then the stock ECU should be able to handle that.

do you get much smoke coming from the exhaust? remember, at WOT, there should be some smoke as all hondas run slightly rich at WOT.

yeah, you can try resetting the ECU, but that may not help unless your mods were done really recently.

Chris

SIKCVC
09-06-2004, 12:22 PM
yeah I just chucked my CAI back on :P and I think the old stock panel filter was exactly that, old. so it may just need time to adjust, because I know went out today and i was wheel spining everywhere without meaning it, it felt nice and torquey again (yes i see the irony of how honda have no torque :shock:) Its about time i replace the fuel filter but it'll have to wait till next week, broke now :(