PDA

View Full Version : Mods for F22A?

Grenade
21-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Just wondering what sorta modifications i should do to my 92 F22A, kinda short for cash atm but i was thinking a short ram CAI, bigger ignition, Cat back system?

any suggestions would be great?

cheers

amato2
21-12-2006, 10:27 PM
well if your real serious about it you can save up and get a custom regrind cam skunk2 intake mani and throttle then get it tuned you would prob get some better numbers with a decent header and an exhaust

and if you really want to save.....and then spend shit loads go for a h22 swap..LOL

SiReal
21-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Start with I/H/E. = Intake/Headers/Exhaust.

Intake I'd recommend a K&N Panel + some sexy CAI (Cold Air Intake) DIY - see my sig ;)

Headers - no idea

Exhaust - genearlly anything that is 'high flow' at 2.25" diameter piping. and no coffee can exhausts. something classy ;)

xplod_accord
27-12-2006, 06:55 AM
eBay's good for headers. stay clear of the cheapies. Xforce are the best value for money going around though. there are a lot of cai systems on it as well. and if you see any of those honda powerchip things...avoid them..they are bad.

skinnyboy
27-12-2006, 01:24 PM
hit up F22PARTS.COM (http://www.f22parts.com/) as well, good site, US based and all they do is F22 parts

skinnyboy
27-12-2006, 01:31 PM
they are expensive though

Thats the price for staying SOHC my good man! Its pretty hard to get anything for an F22, at least these guys have most of it in one place, if your hearts set on staying with the F22, you have to go with whats out there. On the other hand if the OP was to do a H22 transplant, options are wide open then for modifying.

JohnL
30-12-2006, 09:48 AM
This isn’t a performance mod as such in that it won’t give you any more HP or torque:( , but it does improve the driveability of the car:angel: , speed up gear shifts:angel: , probably eases wear and tear on synchros:angel: , and is more or less free!! :D .

I’m sure this would be more or less applicable to many engines in many different cars, not just the f22a, but really only applicable to those with manual gearboxes as it addresses something that is I think not a significant issue with engines mated to auto boxes.

Ever get the gear changing blues? Is the shift too slow or do you have to ‘force’ it into the next gear to fast shift? Does the engine hold rpm too high / long as you change up gears? Does the car ‘lurch’ forward when letting out the clutch on up changes? Does the engine response seem inconsistent when ‘heel / toeing’ on down changes? Is engine braking not very noticeable or not instant off throttle?

Why is it so?!! As a pollution control measure (to lessen oxides of nitrogen?) my understanding is that most (?) cars briefly (relatively speaking) allow some continued air flow past the butterfly even after the butterfly has been closed by the driver. This may well lessen some pollutant gasses, but, means the rpm won’t promptly drop (as is desirable) as you shift up through the box, so rpm is often still too high as you release the clutch once in the next gear. For a smooth gear change (with no forward ‘lurch’ and / or less strain on the synchros) this means substantially slowing the shift speed while waiting………. for rpm to drop.

With the f22a in the Accord (and probably most other injected Hondas?) this ‘problem’ is achieved by the ECU telling the EACV to open for a period after the butterfly has been closed. On my car this characteristic was really giving me the hump! The problem still persisted after cleaning the EACV, which generally seemed to be doing what it was designed to do.

At first I thought I’d just have to live with it since it seemed a function of the ECU and I wasn’t about to replace with a reprogrammable unit (even if this might be possible with a programmable ECU, which I don’t know). It then occurred to me that I could disconnect the EACV if I was willing to put up with the CEL being on all the time, and for the idle to be crap if I used the air con or headlights. Tried this, but it resulted in the engine becoming harsh off and then back on throttle, felt like it was triggering an overly enthusiastic of throttle fuel cut off (?).

It then occurred to me that I might blank off the EACV (while leaving it electrically connected) by means of fitting a blind gasket (i.e. a gasket with no port openings) to block airflow through the EACV. This only stopped the CEL being on, with the off / on throttle harshness remaining (and of course still no idle speed compensation).

It then occurred to me that the EACV must be able to flow a relatively large amount of air for the off throttle anti pollution effect, but only a much smaller amount of air must be needed for idle speed compensation (idle speed with air con and electrical loads etc).

Hmmm, new idea; make a gasket that only partially blocks the EACV ports. This ought to mean that the gasket would allow enough air flow through the EACV ports for effective idle speed compensation, but restrict it enough to cripple the irritating anti pollution aspect…

Result:
Smooth engine (doesn’t seem to trigger over active fuel cut off) that doesn’t hold revs irritatingly between gearshifts, instant off throttle engine braking, faster / smoother gearshifts (both up and down), and functional idle speed compensation. The car is now much more enjoyable to drive!!!

How to:
Remove the EACV (dead easy on the f22a). Note two ports in EACV body, one with a mesh screen. You might as well clean it out while you have it off the car!

Using good quality gasket paper (stiffish, almost cardboard), make a gasket with two openings to match the ports (EACV ports, not manifold ports), with one opening being full port size but the other opening being a much smaller hole. Note that gasket should have four holes, including holes for the two mounting bolts (this important, if the gasket doesn’t go under the mounting bolts you might bend the EACV body when you tighten the bolts!!). Fit gasket (but leave the existing rubber seal in situ on EACV). Don’t over-tighten mounting bolts!

The small hole goes in the centre of the port with the mesh, and should be a lot smaller than the port opening. The size of this hole is a matter for experimentation, on my car its about 3.5mm diameter (made with one of those leather hole punches that have several punches arranged on a sort of ‘star wheel’).

On my engine this size hole does impede idle speed compensation slightly, but not enough to be a significant problem for me (idle with air con on is a bit low and so engine vibrates just a bit too much, fast idle on cold start up is lower than standard). This is only a minor issue for me as 99% of my driving doesn’t involve slow speed / stop-start driving, but may be more of an issue for you if your driving does.

A larger hole (say 4mm+, keeping in mind that only a small increase in hole diameter will result in a much larger hole area) will increase idle speed compensation at the expense of some increased anti pollution rpm holding effect (but still much less than standard). Experimentation with hole size is easy since the gaskets take only a few minutes to make (use the ‘pein’ end of a small ball-pein hammer to gently ‘hammer’ the gasket shape directly from the AECV) and the EACV is so easy / quick to remove / replace.

Once your ideal / preferred hole size is found it’s probably a good idea to ditch the gasket in favour of an aluminium plate made to the same dimensions, if for no other reason than the unsupported gasket material in the port opening may eventually start to fall apart (note to self: do this!).

There may be reasons why this mod might not be (technically) a good idea, but since the EACV is only functional off throttle on the over-run, and at idle speeds, I can’t think what they might be. Note that this mod will make the car technically illegal for road use since it interferes with anti-pollution requirements, so I’m sure that nobody would ever consider such a thing for their road car…

dundas
15-01-2007, 12:46 AM
LOL that should be in DIY thread with some pics :)

FkjAccord
15-01-2007, 02:53 AM
hey dude!
What area are you from?

If you would like to know some great suggestions i recommend you to go to
AK MOTORWORKS. Great recommendations and quality service

private msg if you would like to know what mods ive done!

thanks mate