PDA

View Full Version : Civic No Vtec?

dpham45
22-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a late 2006 Civic Vti.

Reason why I bought it, was mainly cause it has Vtec, so I bought a manual.
I've only done about 1000kms, and I pushed it to about 7000rpms to test
the vtec. And I felt NOTHING!!! /cry (tried about 3 times)

Please help, please tell me theres something wrong with the engine!

Cheers,

Dave

destrukshn
22-12-2006, 10:42 AM
nah.. you have the crap vtec.
lol.
really, barely even noticeable.

dpham45
22-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Your kidding me >.<

What about the Sports Model, the 2.0 litre? Is that the same as well?

dc2dc2dc2
22-12-2006, 10:53 AM
its because ur vtakkk is so smoooth u can't feel it kick in like the oldschool ones.

dpham45
22-12-2006, 10:56 AM
How can this be improved? Can it be retuned?

tRipitaka
22-12-2006, 11:00 AM
didn't you test drive it before you bought it ?

Brescia
22-12-2006, 11:02 AM
^what he said lol

seriously, i-vtec printed in your bay doesnt mean its going to have a super mean vtec kick

dpham45
22-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Nah I didn't... I just assumed a vtec is a vtec... =(

I'm just feeling pretty bad after spending so much on a car that has virtually no vtec to me.. not good.

EuroDude
22-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Its tuned for efficiency and smoothness so u need to upgrade the CAM (Its SOHC isnt it?) to a more aggressive profile, and reflash/replace the ECU so VTAK kicks in earlier.

If you wanted power, you should have gotten the Civic Sports.

vti_ek9
22-12-2006, 11:04 AM
put a filter in....engine would sound better.....at least you'll hear sumfing...

dpham45
22-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Ok guys, thanks for the responses. I'll ring up Honda, see if I can work something out.

EuroDude
22-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Nah I didn't... I just assumed a vtec is a vtec... =(

I'm just feeling pretty bad after spending so much on a car that has virtually no vtec to me.. not good.

Remember that its an iVTEC engine so it has VTC as well which is always active and variable over the rev range, so in effect, iVTEC is always active so to speak. VTC gives you smoother power delivery and more torque down low

faijai
22-12-2006, 11:10 AM
take it back and tell them u dont hear *booooo BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*

dpham45
22-12-2006, 11:12 AM
What if VTC was turned off?

jdm_kid
22-12-2006, 11:15 AM
get a vtec controller ! set it at 4K rpm !

dpham45
22-12-2006, 11:17 AM
LOL I was thinking of that haha, wouldn't that kill my engine.

Q_ball
22-12-2006, 11:20 AM
take it back and tell them u dont hear *booooo BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*

Nah, i thought it sounded more like....

woaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH HHHH!!!

tetetetetetetete *rev limiter*

*changes gear*

tututututututu*tyres chirp*

jdm_kid
22-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes it would ... lol, but FYI Vtec aint like boost. it doesnt give u like 20kw straight out & a instant whiplash !

faijai
22-12-2006, 11:23 AM
lol @ 4k

dpham45
22-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Ahz, yer I know I kinda screwed myself >.<

I just wanted a four door car (maybe starting a family in the near future), which had a little bit of balls. Think I'll put some nice rims on it, and leave it at that =(

faijai
22-12-2006, 11:24 AM

*changes gear*

one more off topic post from u q_ball and i will be forced to pull out my banning stick.

dpham45
22-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Actually, I do have a legit question... whats the point of the Vtec controller if you can't set it any lower? Well, I mean if you wanted to set it lower, you'd prob put it 5000 I'm guessing, which is not much of a difference?

jdm_kid
22-12-2006, 11:28 AM

*changes gear*

Heres a vid of qball doin the sounds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLZ5P79ie4

Q_ball
22-12-2006, 11:28 AM
one more off topic post from u q_ball and i will be forced to pull out my banning stick.

Sorry.

faijai
22-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Actually, I do have a legit question... whats the point of the Vtec controller if you can't set it any lower? Well, I mean if you wanted to set it lower, you'd prob put it 5000 I'm guessing, which is not much of a difference?

5000 is a big difference to the usual 5700-5800 with a b series engine. dont know about K series. heard the vtec controllers dont really make much of a diff with the k series. also with cars that have engine mods, most people i know actually have it adjusted past 6k instead of having it on early. vtec aint boost, putting it erlier aint gonna make ur car quicker

aaronng
22-12-2006, 11:35 AM
You should have read the difference in vtec thread.

The 06 Civic VTi's vtec is used to control the number of valves running. At low load and throttle, the engine runs in 12 valve mode and only closes the intake valve when it is already partially through the compression stroke. The "VTEC" mode is when the engine is running with al 16 valves, like a normal car.

There is no kick, and vtec can operate at any RPM depending on your throttle and engine load.

In otherwords.... It has less kick than an SOHC vtec. What you have is a super economy 12v/16v i-vtec.

Don't expect any kick in performance. And you can't change the header too as it is a single piece with the head!

Q_ball
22-12-2006, 11:35 AM
5000 is a big difference to the usual 5700-5800 with a b series engine. dont know about K series. heard the vtec controllers dont really make much of a diff with the k series. also with cars that have engine mods, most people i know actually have it adjusted past 6k instead of having it on early. vtec aint boost, putting it erlier aint gonna make ur car quicker
Good work, +rep ;)

If your engine is stock, leave ur car as is.
Vtec is set at the most optimum point from factory, so unless you're doin engine mods, dont bother with a VAFC.

dpham45
22-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated =) Time for me to head home! Merry Christmas and enjoy the holidays =) And for those who live in Sydney, its double demerit today, take it easy!

MKI4EVA
22-12-2006, 01:17 PM
funny thread..........

at least you have new car smell bud.........

The sports pulls pretty nice for what it is.......haven't sat in a vti-L yet.

dyljoy
22-12-2006, 02:16 PM
I didn't expect my 06 civic run like normal Vtec car can do, but it bring me more comfortable than any past civic, just enjoy what u own now, engine mod should be later, coz not much available out there.

TRUMAN
22-12-2006, 08:06 PM
mmmmm.. i love the new car smell =)

Bob san
22-12-2006, 10:00 PM
let ur engine settle down first. 1000km is nothing on a new engine. u can't feel the vtec? its probably cos u don't notice it cos its so smooth when it kicks in.

Yer if u want more upper end torque (ie vtec more noticible) do a full cat back exhaust and new air intake. you'll definetly feel the difference.

TurBIce
22-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Mines either dissapearing at only 2000kms or i'm use to it

aaronng
23-12-2006, 12:12 AM
let ur engine settle down first. 1000km is nothing on a new engine. u can't feel the vtec? its probably cos u don't notice it cos its so smooth when it kicks in.

Yer if u want more upper end torque (ie vtec more noticible) do a full cat back exhaust and new air intake. you'll definetly feel the difference.

Read my post. VTi does not have a VTEC changeover point.

Tu88y
23-12-2006, 04:56 PM
My Vtec Fell Offfffff

Sell it and get a EK4 if you want Vtec

fatboyz39
23-12-2006, 06:16 PM
VTEC is overratted :P

We change our vtec crossover point to 4500rpm. Please don't try to set it there as to our one, we have dyno'ed tested with our mods and its making power there.

aaronng
23-12-2006, 06:48 PM
VTEC is overratted :P

We change our vtec crossover point to 4500rpm. Please don't try to set it there as to our one, we have dyno'ed tested with our mods and its making power there.

VTEC GTi FTW!!!!!

IAMVTEC
23-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I dont know what you were expecting from a low price 1.8L sedan. Its definitely not built for speed.

For its market segment its not slow. The auto ( I havent driven the manual ) is quite a bit faster than a Corolla or a Pulsar.

And if you dont drive any other cars you wont appreciate how fuel efficient it is. Its a medium size car but uses so little fuel even if you drive it like a loon.

JaCe
24-12-2006, 05:40 AM
I've found that with the 2006 Civic (in auto at least), there's jack all power when you floor it (ie. feels dead)... the only way to feel a surge or anything is to wait until you hit at least 2000rpm (lightly!) and then floor it... the tacho suddenly goes considerably faster from 2000-6800 than it did in the 0-2000rpm range! This isn't based on any actual technical data/science- just something I've noticed in my car.

90LAN
24-12-2006, 08:41 AM
take the factory air box resonator box out
that mite help

rivergod
26-12-2006, 10:49 AM
take the factory air box resonator box out
that mite help

^^^ what he said. i doubt it'll help alot but its a cheap way to get a hard on.

if not anything, you should at the least hear the cross over - but dont expect too much in terms of being thrown back into your seat. vtec is overrated and as what has been mentioned in the past, your vtec, i dont think, will have the same kick as the old school vtec.

aaronng
26-12-2006, 10:54 AM
^^^ what he said. i doubt it'll help alot but its a cheap way to get a hard on.

if not anything, you should at the least hear the cross over - but dont expect too much in terms of being thrown back into your seat. vtec is overrated and as what has been mentioned in the past, your vtec, i dont think, will have the same kick as the old school vtec.

There is no cross-over in the R18a's i-vtec. Full throttle above 2000rpm = vtec, light throttle at any rpm = no vtec

rivergod
26-12-2006, 11:21 AM
There is no cross-over in the R18a's i-vtec. Full throttle above 2000rpm = vtec, light throttle at any rpm = no vtec

aaahhh gone are the good old days of waiting for 5600 for the BAAAHHH hehe my vtec sounds like a goat.

i guess the r18's vtec seems to be a logical way of having the power needed when needed but still being fuel friendly... still, no fun.

IAMVTEC
26-12-2006, 11:55 AM
I never drove the old school VTECs but I prefer fuel economy to slightly better performance for driving on the streets. Sure its fun to drive faster but as fast as you are you still cant beat traffic or red lights. I see idiots rev up and overtake all the time only to be caught up by me at the next set of lights.

Ive been driving my friends V6 for the past week and it was no fun to fill up 3 times. In my Civic I fill up once a week and thats it.

aaronng
26-12-2006, 01:09 PM
R18a's engine is designed so you that you don't have to wait for high RPM to get usable torque. It's pretty good that most comparisons to the k20a in the Civic Sport say that the R18a only loses out at higher speed. At low and medium speed, the VTi is similar to the Sport. At $10,000 less than a Sport, the VTi is a great bargain for what you get.

Did I mention that the VTi has dual length intake runners, moly coating on the piston skirts as well as oil jets to cool the pistons?

panda[cRx]
26-12-2006, 02:32 PM
did you not test drive the car before you bought it? did you not at least read up on it?

denot
01-01-2007, 02:10 AM
What I found out about the new Civic is they named them wrong... it should be:
1. Civic Vti ==> Civic Vti
2. Civic VtiL ==> Civic Vti+ (only have some extra compare to the base mod)
3. Civic Sport ==> Civic VtiL (L for Lux, since no "sport" feelin on this model)

As in Vtec, frankly speaking... I have read it before I buy my car, and when I test drive it... the salesman doenst allow me to try get the car to hit 5000rpm (he got panicked when I hit 4000rpm and ask me to slow down... =p)

MoonSha
01-01-2007, 09:28 AM
This is hilarious, go team honda!

Setanta
02-01-2007, 08:26 AM
"onoes... I has no VTECH-yo"

I'm not sure what's more pathetic, the original post and assumptions about a timing system or the suggestions to make the car sound better. Keep it up boys, I need a laugh in the morning.

AS for fuel economy, my old EF9 got 7.1 L/100KM freeway running and 8.7 around town (don't ask about when I put the boot in though). Old-school = win, new-school = ugly car and no heart.

SlobberGoat
02-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Old-school = win, new-school = ugly car and no heart.

Damn straight!
Good to see setanta's still keeping it real. ;)

dpham45
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry if I have mislead you in all of this. I've been through a few cars now. Camry, Accord, Integra, Holden and now the Civic.

Just to let you know... I wasn't after a performance car. If I was, I'd either get a dc2 r, or a turbo charged car. I'm about to settle down, hence I had no say but to get the 4 door car. The VY S I used to own drinks too much petrol, the civic drinks around 7, very happy with it.

I've driven alot of vtec vechiles, and yes I thought it had the old vtec kick, unfortunately I was wrong. What I am trying to say is, I wanted a car the wife would be happy with, with a tiny little bit of fun for myself.

I know where you guys are coming from though, and I appreciated the input. I used to love my teggy more than anything.

denot
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Just realised that the late model of DC5 also use i-vtec instead of vtec... does this means DC5 doesnt have vtec "kick" as well?

Old-school = win, new-school = ugly car and no heart.

Hm... does the old version of integra (old-school) better than DC2 (new-school)? Or '80s accord is better than euro? :confused:

Tofu
03-01-2007, 01:18 PM
you guys should do more research for yourselves...

the Civic's R18 and K20 does not have the high lift cam.
the K20 used in the civic and the dc5 integra base model are economic Vtec, not the performance Vtec like in the B16a/B18c/TypeS/TypeR/S2000/NSX

civic_mods
03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
who say new school civic is bad go watch best motoring vtec club volume 4..
lol

dyljoy
03-01-2007, 03:06 PM
But have to admit, Vtec club one is not OEM engine, it is F20, can't not compare with OEM one, mate

aaronng
03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
K20A2 has high cam for both intake and exhaust. The K20A3 and K20Z2 used in the base Integra and Civic sport have high cam only on the intake.

And yeah, that Spoon Civic had a K20A/F20C hybrid. That's nothing like the normal consumer engines we get. That's why it made 245ps and revved up to 10500rpm. It's handling was superb though.

denot
03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
who say new school civic is bad go watch best motoring vtec club volume 4..
lol

agree... ^_^

s2o0o
03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I have a GLi. Quit your bitching. HAHAHA.

Tofu
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
hehe guys...i didn't say the new Civic is a bad platform to modify...i just said the new Civic's engine, the K20Z2 just cannot compare to a K20Z1 or K20A2 from the TypeS and TypeR, eventhough they are all 2.0L

if only our Civics got the K20Z3 and not the K20Z2

dyljoy
03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
but at least can tell from the video is, new civic have potential for ppl to mod it become a beast~

IAMVTEC
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
The new Civic isnt actually that slow. It just feels slow because of the angled windscreen. The wheel and seat is so far from the edge of the windscreen there is not as much sensation of speed.

Its not a sports car but its not powerless when you floor it.

Brescia
04-01-2007, 09:28 AM
In depth for the R18A
R-Series SOHC i-VTEC Tech Overview (http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html)
Civic R18A Engine Tech Overview (http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html)

Civic K20Z Engine Tech Overview (http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/K20Z/index.html)
(http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html)

bennjamin
04-01-2007, 02:08 PM
The new Civic isnt actually that slow. It just feels slow because of the angled windscreen. The wheel and seat is so far from the edge of the windscreen there is not as much sensation of speed.

So is that why a truck or bus feels sooooooooooooooo fast ?
I could of sworn they have VTECH

aaronng
04-01-2007, 02:24 PM
VTECH is no match for vtakkk..

Setanta
04-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Hm... does the old version of integra (old-school) better than DC2 (new-school)? Or '80s accord is better than euro? :confused:

Ahhh... analogies, such a slippery use of logic at best. Instead of comparing apples to apples, let's compare oranges to oranges and draw a conclusion about apples.

If you want to use your "oranges" Integra debate, I always found the DC2R a hell of a lot more fun than the DC5R.

Back on topic from your attempt at diversion; Re Civics, best to worst I'd rate them EF9 (bias, but if you've owned/driven one you know what I mean), EM1 Coupe, EG6, EK9, AT25 (1994 Si twin-cam), SBC RS1200 (gen 1 sport version)... any "please make me look more like a Corolla on the chance I might be pleasing to the eye... if the owner is a)blind, b) a Civic fanboi" ugly, weak-as post 2002 Civic. Actually, that's an insult to Corollas, the actually look better than the current Civics and certainly out-perform them.

[insert anti-Honda Australia rant here about their inability to recapture the compact-sport market again since the demise of the EM1/EK9]

egSi
04-01-2007, 04:47 PM
do u still have your ef Setanta?

rhk
04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
aaahhh gone are the good old days of waiting for 5600 for the BAAAHHH hehe my vtec sounds like a goat.

that made me lol

seriously though to the guy who made this thread

you have to research a car before you go out and buy which is one mistake i think you made badly lol

Back on topic from your attempt at diversion; Re Civics, best to worst I'd rate them EF9 (bias, but if you've owned/driven one you know what I mean), EM1 Coupe, EG6, EK9, AT25 (1994 Si twin-cam), SBC RS1200 (gen 1 sport version)... any "please make me look more like a Corolla on the chance I might be pleasing to the eye... if the owner is a)blind, b) a Civic fanboi" ugly, weak-as post 2002 Civic. Actually, that's an insult to Corollas, the actually look better than the current Civics and certainly out-perform them.

btw whats with all this 7th/8th gen bashing? even though it is not as fast as a em1 or ek9 or what ever the fd1 is by no means a snail. having said that though id like to point out that a civic is not a "sports" car (bar the type r's) and in fact from my point of view i think the ef is out dated and ugly and yes i have driven an ef and i wasnt a fan, it was old, interior was written off, rusted etc. and you may say "hey you can fix that" but no offence i dont want to be driving something that needs constant attention and fixing or excessive modification to be bearable. oh and as for post 2002 cars being an insult to corollas, im sure an ep3/ 8th gen si would school any corolla and your ef9 no problems ;) having let that rant out i dont want to start some huge flame war so ill move on...

the reason i bought my 06 vti is because:
- it offered me a good daily driver for uni
- fuel economy is excellent
- insurance was the main reason with full comprehensive for me being 400$ at 20. otherwise right now i would be driving a dc5r but hey 2800$ is a bit too much for me at the moment.
- compared to the other cars within the price range, nothing offered better value or better insurance.

having said that there are always cons
- there are a few quirks that other people have mentioned (there is a thread here somewhere where you can find them all)
- the waiting period for a manual was rediculous
- not much to offer in terms of aftermarket parts as yet but im sure after a while

but meh thats my rant for today

aaronng
04-01-2007, 06:39 PM
They should compare the Civic VTi to the EK VTi. Why are you all comparing it to the VTiR?

rhk
04-01-2007, 07:01 PM
^ that is actually a good point lols

rivergod
04-01-2007, 07:43 PM
So is that why a truck or bus feels sooooooooooooooo fast ?
I could of sworn they have VTECH

LOL hahaa

Setanta
04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
do u still have your ef Setanta?

Not anymore, I lost an argument with a bus - sold it off to someone doing a resto on it because the car was generally in excellent condition.

I'm currently doing the one thing I've wanted to do, a budget classic. It was a tossup between a replica '74 Skyline 2000GT-R or an EH Holden with modern running gear. Surprisingly the EH was more readily available than a donor Datsun 240K hardtop.

I'll go back to an EF9 as a second car once I find one in good condition that matches what mine was like.

I'm not a fan of modern cars and in particular, modern domestic Hondas (could you guess? :P )

rhk
04-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Not anymore, I lost an argument with a bus - sold it off to someone doing a resto on it because the car was generally in excellent condition.

I'm currently doing the one thing I've wanted to do, a budget classic. It was a tossup between a replica '74 Skyline 2000GT-R or an EH Holden with modern running gear. Surprisingly the EH was more readily available than a donor Datsun 240K hardtop.

I'll go back to an EF9 as a second car once I find one in good condition that matches what mine was like.

I'm not a fan of modern cars and in particular, modern domestic Hondas (could you guess? :P )

:P

yeah well each to his own i suppose

s2o0o
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I wonder is an F20C conversion is feasible?....or practical?

HAHAHA.

Setanta
05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Heh - did they change the direction of Honda motors to match the F20C?

I've got to admit I've toyed with the idea of one in the EH... pity about the cost of the motor/gearbox.