PDA

View Full Version : 2 channels from amp driving 4 speakers?

JaCe
23-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Just wondering if this is a good idea or not;

My current setup is stock HU connected using 2 sets of Alpine lineouts to a 4ch Rockford Fosgate amp (outputting 100w RMS per channel). There's currently 2 MBQ Discus splits up front connected to the front L/R channels, and the rear L/R channels on the amp is hooked up to an RF Punch P2. The rear speakers are currently stock and not amplified.

I'm thinking of getting a set of splits (or coaxials) for the back and connecting them up to the front L/R channels on the amp (ie. the front 2 channels will be amping both the front AND rear splits). If I recall correctly, my current MBQ splits are only rated "50-120w" (not sure if that means 50-120w RMS; or 50w RMS 120w peak)...

The reason for my decision is that I relaised my music is coming pretty much only from the front and the rear speakers are barely noticed. In my cousin's car, he had MBQ Ref's up front, and some JL splits in the back and with amplified music coming from both front and rear, it sounded fantastic. Along with the dual 6.5" subs, I thought it sounded ideal and was hoping to replicate the experience (somewhat) in my car without spending too much more than what I already have.

Suggestions?

Note: I'm aware that I'll lose fader control but this doesn't concern me much as even in my current set up, I can't make use of fader much since the rear speakers and the subwoofer both use the rear channels anyway.

aka_NSX
25-12-2006, 08:15 PM
if my car i wont do it, coz if u start running Front n Rear hook up together means u wont have any front staging at all and i dont like running a splits in 2 ohms either, i prefer in 4 ohms but i dont mind run my sub in 2 ohms or 1 ohm thou, so i reckon u better just get another small amp just to run ur rear.

JaCe
26-12-2006, 12:03 AM
if my car i wont do it, coz if u start running Front n Rear hook up together means u wont have any front staging at all and i dont like running a splits in 2 ohms either, i prefer in 4 ohms but i dont mind run my sub in 2 ohms or 1 ohm thou, so i reckon u better just get another small amp just to run ur rear.

Can you please elaborate on this comment regarding not having front staging anymore?

The reason why I'm not too concerned is because even in my current state, I can't use the fader control anyway since both rear speakers and subwoofer are using the rear channels (remember I'm using stock HU with 4ch output hooked up using LOs to 4ch amp).

I also am a bit too cheap to get another amp... I mean it's a possibility to get a decent amp (probably wouldn't splurge on another RF amp though) and then wire up a remote-bass control and get everything tuned and stuff, but then I think the difficulty in doing so and the price for both components and install, will outweigh the benefits. If I just go speakers + install, it'll be <$400, but if I add another amp in with installation and everything, I'd say it'll be double that which is more than what I'm inclined to spend at this stage.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help btw :)

aka_NSX
26-12-2006, 10:12 AM
honestly Front staging is really important coz ur problem is on your installer they shouldnt run the Rear with the sub together coz most good installer never run it that way, usually they run the Front speaker with your sub, so they always can fade the speaker to get the front staging, i know Lifestyle maybe good n cheap to buy some audio equipment but for installation they just like strathfield . . . . .

JaCe
26-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Hmm... do you think the main way to get better sound would be to get another amp AND speakers?

I don't want to lose my RF remote bass control :(

Thanks for your help.

Btw my father mentioned something about impedance and I noticed you did too- can you please explain to me why it's bad to run 2 sets of splits at lower impedance? Will I need new front speakers too to run at the lower impedance?

aka_NSX
26-12-2006, 06:26 PM
jace, u can just rewire ur system first, use only the Front speaker O/P of ur H/U to ur RF 4ch then use the internal switching on ur AMP to Front only I/P then the Front still go to ur Front splits then the Rear still go to ur SUB so u still using the bass controller, but dont use the O/P of ur H/U, the Rear speaker O/P of the H/U just use it for ur rear speaker only maybe even try to upgrade to splits after that

aka_NSX
26-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Btw my father mentioned something about impedance and I noticed you did too- can you please explain to me why it's bad to run 2 sets of splits at lower impedance? Will I need new front speakers too to run at the lower impedance?

usually for an AMP to run in 2 ohms load has got more distortion rather than if u run it in 4 ohms load so for my splits if run in 2 ohms the sound it wont be as clear sound, but if for the sub it doesnt matter i just want POWER even last time i run my AMP for my sub down to 1/2 ohm (Class A Soundstream) but Bi-Amp my splits use a very big AMP 4x100Wrms (McIntosh) in 4ohms, means 2x100 for the midrange and 2x100 for tweeter

JaCe
26-12-2006, 10:46 PM
jace, u can just rewire ur system first, use only the Front speaker O/P of ur H/U to ur RF 4ch then use the internal switching on ur AMP to Front only I/P then the Front still go to ur Front splits then the Rear still go to ur SUB so u still using the bass controller, but dont use the O/P of ur H/U, the Rear speaker O/P of the H/U just use it for ur rear speaker only maybe even try to upgrade to splits after that

Thanks! Sorry you've lost me there... the only acronym I know there is H/U; not sure what O/P and I/P are (the only thing I can think of is it looks like O/I for power?)...

My father also suggested that rather than trying to muck about too much, just get some low powered speakers and replace the rear stock speakers without amping them... I'm inclined to think that this is the only way I can go without spending on another amp or doing the rewiring you mentioned (and I don't follow ><).

DSNTGR8
27-12-2006, 07:43 AM
id forget doing that and upgrade the h/u!!!

aka_NSX
27-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks! Sorry you've lost me there... the only acronym I know there is H/U; not sure what O/P and I/P are (the only thing I can think of is it looks like O/I for power?)...

My father also suggested that rather than trying to muck about too much, just get some low powered speakers and replace the rear stock speakers without amping them... I'm inclined to think that this is the only way I can go without spending on another amp or doing the rewiring you mentioned (and I don't follow ><).

this is getting harder to explain it :confused: , anyway if u r in sydney just come then i can explain it to u

JaCe
28-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Can't upgrade HU without full dash replacement and I'd lose steering wheel controls.

I came across one thing of interest- Alpine splits for $135 at JB Hifi... only 35w RMS. I wonder if this could be run off my stock HU?

And thanks for ur help so far aka_NSX; yes I'm in sydney. hills district. U?

aka_NSX
28-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Can't upgrade HU without full dash replacement and I'd lose steering wheel controls.

I came across one thing of interest- Alpine splits for $135 at JB Hifi... only 35w RMS. I wonder if this could be run off my stock HU?

And thanks for ur help so far aka_NSX; yes I'm in sydney. hills district. U?

nah u dont need to upgrade the H/U if u really want to u can just buy Audio Control DQL8 or LC6i to convert ur OEM H/U to a much better O/P, but u will waste ur Alpine converter thou

yeah thats should be fine, but have u ever consider of Focal 165A1 ? if so PM me for price

i live in eastern suburb Rosebay, just come and i'll explain it for u . . . .

JaCe
28-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Seems a bit of a waste to lose both my Alpine lineouts. ATM I'm still deliberating over whether or not to either just get the low powered Alpine splits and install them in the rear (cheapest option) or to consider getting another amp, using my RF's output (it has the RCA outs to connect to another amp) and then using the 2nd amp to either power the sub (monobloc) or to amplify the rear speakers (2ch). I'll think more about it when I have time :)

Thanks for all your help. If I'm ever heading out to your area I might meet up :) Thanks again for the help. Btw, these Focal speakers... will they work well without amplification? I'm looking more at buying from a retail store (eg. Lifestyle) which does the selling and installation in the one shop with a warranty- this way it simplifies things from my perspective if something screws up, and I have a receipt.

aka_NSX
28-12-2006, 10:25 PM
honestly Lifestyle store is just another Strathfield.........

if u prefer to buy and get ur system done from a retail shop try to go to Precision Installation