View Full Version : Buying exhaust and installation

preludewoah
24-12-2006, 05:11 PM
:D

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance :thumbsup:

solved. cheers

Sydsyd
24-12-2006, 05:36 PM
just get the one specifically for ur car if u want straight fit...

u can have catback (from cat to muffler) only, although for best performance, a whole system (header, cat and catback) is recommended.

Hope that helps!:cool:

simbadda54
24-12-2006, 11:48 PM
u shouldnt need to change the cat, just change the flange and it should be right

Zilli
25-12-2006, 08:15 AM
most of the japanese exhausts that you will buy such as thee one you have mentioned are design forr the japanese domestic model of your vehicle.

As such it will NOT be a straight bolt on as the cats are usually a slight different size. There will need to be some custom welding work done

preludewoah
07-01-2007, 01:20 PM
So if I were to buy one what are the other after market parts that I will need?

What are the inlet sizes? And what is appropriate?

So if I just but the exhaust, bring it to the professionals they will pretty much modify it to suit my car? What are some other things they should know?

muhhan
08-01-2007, 05:50 PM
From what I've been looking at the japanese brand exhausts seem to have metric measurements where as the local products and those from the US seem to be using imperial measurements, ie. 60mm diameter compared to 2.25" diameter.

If you're not replacing the whole exhaust system then some modification will need to be made as others have said. This may involve the shop making modifications to your existing cat by using an enlarger/reducer and welding a new flange on. If there's any differences in the length (ie. hangers not lining up) then the shop can make the necessary modifications.

If you're going to take it to a shop and plan on doing the full exhaust system down the line then it may be worth holding off until you get the header and cat to match your new bat-back exhaust, instead of getting the shop to make all these modifications (if mods are required) and then 6-9 months later having to pay them to take it all off and install the new header and cat.

preludewoah
11-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Yeh I'm currently looking at getting headers too.

Well I still dont understand the exhaust system parts, flange, inlet and how the whole stuff is connected. So please bare with me.

If we start from the engine, we have the headers.
Have been reading that the Toda 4-2-1 headers are more worth while, and may be leaning towards the Toda headers.
From the headers linking to the exhaust I have no clue about, what parts to obtain for aftermarket exhaust and headers etc. Have been reading about the hi flo cats, flange, and dont know the relevant sizes :(

So would be helfpful if someone would guide me to the right direction and abit of an explanation.

Also what prices would i be looking at for headers, exhaust and the other parts? and rough price for installation.

JasonGilholme
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Headers -> Catylitic Converter -> Exhaust piping to muffler at rear of car. (Cat back)

All the parts join together via flanges. Look this up on google for some pics. Then its just a few bolts that hold it all together.

As for prices you could be lookin at about 2grand for great headers and then 1grand for a descent catback.

In saying that tho a set of headers that is about 900 - 1200 bucks is gonna do a good job, you'll only be gaining an extra 1 or 2 HP by going to the 2grand price range.