PDA

View Full Version : Retuning 91 octane car to benefit from 98

Alpine
26-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Read in many places that if I am running a stock 91 octane-tuned car that I won't benefit whatsoever from pumping in 98 octane as the car won't benefit at all from this. They say that the car needs to be "retuned" to run on 98.

So how does one go about this? Where do you take the car to? Is any additional hardware required (like a new ECU etc) to retune to 98? How much does this kind of operation cost?

BiLL|z0r
26-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Saying what type of car you have might be a good start.

Alpine
26-12-2006, 08:10 AM
99 Civic GLi
01 CRV Sport
05 Accord V6 Lux
05 Civic GLi
04 Hyundai Getz GL

e240
26-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Read in many places that if I am running a stock 91 octane-tuned car that I won't benefit whatsoever from pumping in 98 octane as the car won't benefit at all from this. They say that the car needs to be "retuned" to run on 98.

So how does one go about this? Where do you take the car to? Is any additional hardware required (like a new ECU etc) to retune to 98? How much does this kind of operation cost?

Very cheaply actually...but you will probably blow up the engine.
The cheap way = Just turn up your ignition advance...:angel:

The more expensive way = Thousands of dollars, get a programmable computer. :wave:

But really, unless you're working on a modified engine and are out to get every drop of power...Its just not worth it. Just run '91 and know that you're saving money.

Mr_will
26-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Very cheaply actually...but you will probably blow up the engine.
The cheap way = Just turn up your ignition advance...

its not really that hard, you'll be able to hear if its knocking anyways, so as long as you read up on it, and get the right tools, its not that risky