PDA

View Full Version : Oil Prob

Calvo
06-10-2003, 10:06 PM
hey guys, dont kno too much bout servicing etc.
but i just filled my oil up full the other day (bout 2/3 weeks) and now 1/4 of it is already gone.
its not leaking either. can any of u's point me in the right direction of wats wrong, and is it cheap to fix or DIY??
my mum wants me to sell the car!!! NNOOOOOOOOOOO!! so i gotta find a solution, or i gotta find a nice 4th gen lude vtir under 20k :D

wynode
06-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Well, if its not dripping onto your driveway then you are probably loosing it while driving (not good).

How many k's on the car? If you are loosing as much oil as you describe, then maybe your rings are wearing. does it blow blue smoke?

Calvo
06-10-2003, 10:20 PM
i just hit 140,000kms last week or two.
hmm i dunno if im loosin oil drivin, wats it mean if i am?
blue smoke, i dont think so. my mates who drive behind me say i blow black smoke, with the occasional greyish/whitish smoke on take off sometimes.
EDIT: i also checked my muffler and its seems to be just black carbon desposits, coz its runnin really rich after i put new muffler on it.

bennjamin
06-10-2003, 11:04 PM
u use 98 octane on that beast of urs man ?

Maybe...be sure to reset ur ECU ( just disconnect ur battery for a minute) after u "modify" ur car...it may put the timing or mixture out of whack alittle if u put on big exhaust or filter etc....

Otherwise - i have the same problem...oil seems to suck out...and not thru onto the ground. I suggest taking it to Roberts ( Hanny's) and gettin him to have a lil peek.

Do it. NOW ! :wink:

Calvo
06-10-2003, 11:57 PM
hehe yeh i might reset my ECU tomorrow
see how it goes.
ill bring it to hanny's if all else fails.

and i aint runnin 98 octane fuel either.
me no $$$$ :D

mo
07-10-2003, 12:44 AM
is 98 octane PULP in aus?

toE
07-10-2003, 03:14 AM
is 98 octane PULP in aus?

think so!! :roll:

normal unleaded's 95..dont quote me!!

wynode
07-10-2003, 09:08 AM
But Caltex Vortex PULP is 95

88crx
07-10-2003, 10:03 AM
i think its

Unleaded - 91-93 ron (i think)

PULP - 95 ron

and Optimax etc etc - 98 ron

:D

azjs
07-10-2003, 11:00 AM
You're right 88crx, Optimax is 98 RON using additives where as BP ultimate is 98 RON naturally occuring.

Calvo - if you're blowing white smoke it means that you're not only burning oil but there's coolant leakage somewhere. I'd have it checked out man.

H22s when put into VTEC on a regular basis will usually go through around .5L of oil between changes, maybe it's similar for you?

Just a side note, you are checking the oil on a flat surface right?

Also, what type of oil do you use?

Hope this helps

-az

Calvo
07-10-2003, 11:18 AM
that white smoke thing, does it need to be blowing it all the time? or only sometimes? becoz mines only goin it occasionally.
well if u say that Vtec thing, i pretty much do boot it into vtec every gear, lol. maybe ill drive the car easy for next week or so and see how it goes. i topped it up last nite so to see how long it'll chew through again.
yeh i check my oil on a flat surface aswell, and im using Shell Helix atm.

Hadean
07-10-2003, 12:25 PM
First, make sure the engine is warmed up when you check the oil. The car should be on a flat surface. Turn off the engine and wait a couple of minutes then measure the oil.

Do this before and after you top up your oil. Stop wasting your own time trying to diagnose your car through correspondence from other backyard mechanics. Take it to a professional.

Yes i do suggest Hannys in Smithfield. They will look after you. It will cost $$$ and it comes with owning a car. Just bite the bullet.

wynode
07-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Stop wasting your own time trying to diagnose your car through correspondence from other backyard mechanics.

Thats a bit harsh.

Sure not everyone here is an expert but asking questions like this and sharing answers are the main purpose of this forum.

Hadean
07-10-2003, 12:47 PM
oops... sorry. didn't mean it to sound harsh.. just trying to point him in the right direction. what my point is, he'll never really find out the problem by internet troubleshooting when no one can see or tell what is going on with his engine. The only real advice is to see if in fact he really is losing oil, then getting it checked by a licensed mechanic.

backyard mechanic is just a colloquial term for us DIY ers.

Calvo
07-10-2003, 01:01 PM
heh yeh.
just seein wat i could dig out of it :D
ill bring it down to hanny's this week some time.

Hadean
07-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Severe oil loss is not something you can just sit around to nut out. In any case, Hannys won't charge you if there's nothing wrong with it.

wynode
07-10-2003, 01:09 PM
I'd have to agree with Hadean. If you are loosing that much oil, then something is amiss. Hopefully its not too serious, as serious means expensive!

Gluck.

Calvo
07-10-2003, 01:17 PM
yeh no probs.
thank u all very much for providin me with ur input :D:P

Weq
07-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Why do u check ur oil when the car is warm? This means that there is oil in the system and ur dipstick will only indicate what oil is still left in the sump.
U should check ur oil when the engine is cold and only fill it to the max line on ur dipstick. That said, the amount of oil that ur dipstick indicated from top to bottom is less then a litre. So if ur loosing 1/4 of ur dipstick over a couple of weeks, u arnt loosing 1/4 of ur oil.

Calvo
08-10-2003, 08:35 AM
yeh i did check my oil of flat ground, when the car was cold.
i lost a 1/4 on my dipstick over a week.
so if i lose a quater on my dipstick, wat does it mean then? coz ur sayin it im not losin a 1/4 oil.

Weq
08-10-2003, 11:54 AM
No, ur loosing about abou 1/4 of a litre. There is no way that u would loose over a litre of oil in a week without noticing it being burnt off.
What kind of oil are u using? Ur engine is getting a bit mature, i'm currently using 15w40 in my Civic with 136k.

That said, get under ur car and make sure u havnt got any leaks. Take a look at ur coolant and see if its a good colour. Monitor the of oil u use, and if it is consistant, either try a higher viscosity oil or take it to a mechanic for a second opinion..

Calvo
08-10-2003, 05:22 PM
ok, thanks alot champ.