PDA

View Full Version : Clutch adjustment..

locote
28-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Its been about 3 weeks since my new clutch was installed, 3rd gear makes a slight grind niose when goin in but only goin up gears not goin down,
Would just bleeding the clutch again fix this or would it be a pedal adjustment problem???

destrukshn
28-12-2006, 09:36 AM
the friction point doesn't change from gear to gear though? so it shouldn't be the adjustment.
could it be the syncros?

locote
28-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Its fine when im down shifting but..
I had a synchro problem with a car ages ago and that didnt like down shifting either...

destrukshn
28-12-2006, 10:22 AM
hms...
well you could try bleeding the clutch again, but since it's fresh, does it feel fine?
well i'd say if you think it may be your friction it point, turn it back about 2 rotations.

locote
28-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Is the 3rd gear synchro popular for wearing in Bseries gboxes??

XB-16-AX
28-12-2006, 05:22 PM
dude wot type of gbox do u have? cable or hydro?

either way, i had the same problem and it turned out to be the gear box oil was wayyy too loooww ... stupid mechanic didnt fill it to the top,

i got the clutch re-checked, adjusted, was about to get the synchros checked too but luckly some bird told me to get the gbox oil checked first b4 changing any thing. - problem solved.

get your gbox oil checked and top up if needed,

good luck and let us know,

VT3C
28-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Is the 3rd gear synchro popular for wearing in Bseries gboxes??

yeah you got it.. is standard issue haha..

Some (aftermarket) clutch manufacturers reccomend that you change your clutch fluid directly after the initial wear-in process.. I am not quite sure why and wont pretend I do.. but for example my exedy HD it said to change your fluid after ~1000kms..

I reccomend you ONLY use oem clutch fluid - I've heard of nothing but problems from people using 'performance' gearbox fluid in HONDA boxes.. i'm sure there are good products out there but it seems matching the correct type for your particular box is the key here.. but if you use OEM fluid and replace say once a year you should keep your synchro wear to a minimum.

Make sure you get the clutch all the way to the floor when u race also to avoid total destruction of your synchros ;)

there are people a lot more knowledgable about Honda transmissions on here but hopefully i've pointed u in the right direction haha.

locote
28-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I think the fluid ( tranny level might be low to) ill have a look at it..
and ill bleed clutch again just to eliminate these

The thing is when the car is cold ie i have just taken off the 3rd gear change is fine its once it warms upo to operating temp that the 3rd gear prob starts so thats y i think it might be the gearbox fluid

JasonGilholme
28-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Yeah, sounds like fluid if its happening after its warmed up.

Change it!

locote
28-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I took the bottom plug out with the big square hole in it
and all this thick whiteish stuff came out the i took the smaller hex one and nothing came out..
There a black pluged hole on the top of the tranny near the radiator hoses is that the filler hole???
How do i measure how much oil goes into it ass i dont know wats in there, if nothing came out of these 2 plugs does that mean my tranny is dry??
There was also little metal grindings with the white stuff is this normal???

locote
28-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Can redline light "blue fluid" be used with B series Boxes, as ive got 4 lts of it at my oldies place and i can go get it this arvo to fill it up

destrukshn
28-12-2006, 06:38 PM
okay one bottom one.
that's the draing one, and another above to the left of the bottom one that's the filler.
when you fill it, put the drain plug in, and start filling into the filler plug, until it starts dripping out, that's enough fluid then, so you put in the filler plug.
make sure you do it on a level ground though.

locote
28-12-2006, 06:43 PM
http://i79.imagethrust.com/images/2PAJ/view-image/dscf-0214.htmlhttp://www.ozhonda.com/forum/%5Burl=http://i79.imagethrust.com/images/2PAJ/view-image/dscf-0214.html%5D%5Bimg=http://i79.imagethrust.com/t/674977/dscf0214.jpg%5D%5B/url%5D

locote
28-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Is the top on the filler???
should fluid drip out of the bottom one if theres anything in there???
only a couple of ml came out

destrukshn
28-12-2006, 06:48 PM
top is the filler
fluid should only drain fromt eh bottom.

locote
28-12-2006, 06:49 PM
How much fluid will this box take..
can i use redline Blue gearbox oil as i have some at my dads place, cause if i understand correctly my gearbox is dry cause only a little bit came out the drain plug

destrukshn
28-12-2006, 06:51 PM
about 2 litres.
new oil should be yellowish.
i would only reccommend using genuine MTF only.

seems like your box is dry if only a little come out.

locote
28-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda must make real tough Boxes lol.
Ive been thrashing my car too and there was no oil in it..
Dang

locote
28-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I thought this was the filler http://upload1.imagethrust.com/uploaded_image/2PBp/show-codes.html

It had a black plug on it i took it off and i can smell gear fluid in there???

destrukshn
28-12-2006, 06:59 PM
what you should do really, is maybe try find some clean used oil, pour it back in, run through your gears, then drain it again, making sure that all the metallic bits have come out.
then use honda mtf.
since your box is dry, for a while with no oil, metal fragments could still be there.

locote
28-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Can i use motor oil to do that???
is it safe to use ???

destrukshn
28-12-2006, 07:03 PM
some people do. just make sure you drain it well, very well.
that or buy cheap mtf.
then go from there.

locote
28-12-2006, 07:04 PM
ok ill get some mtf tonight and put it in run it tomorow and get some honda mtf and then drain it tomorow arvo cheers mate..

bennjamin
28-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I thought this was the filler http://upload1.imagethrust.com/uploaded_image/2PBp/show-codes.html

It had a black plug on it i took it off and i can smell gear fluid in there???

that is the breather for the gearbox. Leave the small black cap on it.
For a easier way -

Jack side up , take off 17mm side fill nut. Place a small take away container idreclty below it. Drop car back down on wheels....

Take out the VSS (located above the diff housing) ~ be CAREFUL of the small nuts.
Get a funnel and some hose or similar gauge piping , place one end in the VSS opening and hole the other with ur hand , and place the funnel into the top - slowly fill with MTF until you can see the fluid dripping out of the FILL hole. Once it flows at a constant dribble , stop filling , and retighte neverything once the drip stops.

This will be exactly the amount you need.

destrukshn
28-12-2006, 07:05 PM
but why not just fill it in the filler hole?

bennjamin
28-12-2006, 07:10 PM
but why not just fill it in the filler hole?

Nothing stopping you :)
Its easier this way tho - with the pipe sticking in the filler hole it spills out earlier and abit more messy. I use a sludge pump sometimes but otherwise this method is simple enough

Samo
28-12-2006, 08:25 PM
redline light weight is good stuff
i use it in a few hondas already ... no probs

b series box should take 2.4lts

locote
28-12-2006, 10:17 PM
YAY problem solved...
ill put some redline into it on the weekend and drain the mtf i put into it today..

locote
30-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Its less than 2.4lt i put 2.4 in and it spat it out some were.. my engine bay and under car was was messy as..
I read on a brochure its 2.2lt lol.

bennjamin
30-12-2006, 04:13 PM
3 containers of MTF should easily do it for most hondas.
Just slowly fill until a dribble of fluid comes out. Thats it :)

EK4R
30-12-2006, 04:52 PM
hmm soo its recommended to change your fluid after new clutch has been worn in? say 1000kms?

locote
30-12-2006, 05:53 PM
It went everywhere my HKS filter was soaked in gear oil...
no wonder it wasnt running good i was sukking in oil instead of air...

destrukshn
30-12-2006, 05:54 PM
wtf?
how can gear oil get there?
i don't get it.

locote
30-12-2006, 06:46 PM
LOL gear oil every were under my car aswell..
burning on the exhaust it reacked...
I clean it all up and took it for a thrash and nothing came out
must have been over filled.
Im spewing i lost all that redline oil,, its so expencive

SLOWEGG
30-12-2006, 07:11 PM
How much did you end up paying for the redline stuff?

locote
30-12-2006, 07:31 PM
I got it when i worked for Coventrys 4 years ago at staff price..
its been sitting in a garage for that long i never used it till now
i think it was like 89$ for the 4lt bottle

XB-16-AX
07-01-2007, 05:01 PM
YAY problem solved...
ill put some redline into it on the weekend and drain the mtf i put into it today..

hahha i knew it .. low on gbox oil ..

coz i had the same problem ... redline is goodshieet man!!

have fun revving!!

=)

locote
14-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Redline Is Bad!!!!!