PDA

View Full Version : Turboing Accord

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
hey,
i was wandering what sort of money i would be looking at for turboing my 94 accord (stock motor in exi)...dont need quotes for internals etc just the kit and fitting costs...thanks

shecomb
10-06-2004, 08:37 AM
$10k to do it right

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
10-06-2004, 09:24 AM
what about if i wan only gonna run under 10 psi??

poid
10-06-2004, 10:00 AM
You can do it cheap, but that doesnt mean it'll turn out right. The amount of boost you are gonna run should have any effect, the setup for under 10psi or 10-15psi is gonna be the same roughly.

Besides which, factor in EVERYTHING you are gonna have to buy. Include clutch, brake pads, the gauges you'll need, boost controller if you need one, the ECU, injectors, exhaust etc etc. These things start to add up.

Now, if you were going cheap, for example, you could use an FMU setup and not get an ECU and injectors. This just ramps up your fuel pressure, forcing more fuel through your stock injectors. So instead of spending 1.5-3k on the fuel setup, you are spending like $500. This will run, but for how long? There's a reason that the FMU has a reputation for meaning "****s motors up".

Thats the choice you have to make though, try for a cheap cheap setup that may or may not be reliable and prolly wont make much power, or spend a bit more and get something reliable that makes a bit of power.

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
10-06-2004, 04:19 PM
hmm interesting point poid...i always throught there was no real cheap way about turbocharging...hmmm, i think i might just stick with a tough NA H22A...thanks for your replies..are there any sites you recommend for looking into turbo charging?

poid
10-06-2004, 04:23 PM
have a look at www.honda-tech.com and www.accordinglydone.com there is a fair bit of info there (though on Honda-Tech you often have to sort the truth from the BS).

I recommend having a read of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it gives a run down on pretty much all aspects of turbos and the support systems they need.

Not trying to put you off turbo (in fact, i encourage everyone to forget NA ;) )

one more chance
17-06-2004, 08:30 PM
your 94 EXI has a H22A? These are pretty good engines, just the rods don't hold up too well with forced induction. Getting the kit is the least of your worries, most of your money will go towards fitting and TUNING!
It may take several tunes before you get it right. Each session isn't cheap! I've had many many hours on the dyno and the car still isnt fully tuned!

poid
18-06-2004, 02:45 PM
i just street tuned mine myself, runs a little rich but thats the only issue, runs pretty damn well for the lack of effort i have put in to it!!

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
18-06-2004, 03:20 PM
your 94 EXI has a H22A?
No i have the non vtec 2.2...im not sure what they are called :oops:...im either gonna turbo the one i have or get a h22a conversion...im thinking the h22a conversion :D....

CHU85
30-06-2004, 03:27 PM
only if u posted this up earlier. I had a whole backyard turbo kit for sale for your accord. Now its in pieces. If u have time and the knowledge you could do it for as little as 2k as i did and run it off a unichip.
But for cheapness and reliablity go the h22a. Its alot better.

Poid: Is your car done? Sounds like a little street monster!
Wat hp figures did you get?

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
01-07-2004, 08:12 PM
no worries dude, im going for performance last :D....looks for now, but yeah h22a is looking good

B|ade
01-07-2004, 11:05 PM
no worries dude, im going for performance last :D....looks for now, but yeah h22a is looking good

Go the other way round dude

Misguided me spend 10k on looks and am regretting spending that money that I coulda spent on performance.

That was probs just because I had nfi bout cars when I first got mine and thought a stereo, rims and an exhaust were sick.

Didn't mind spending money on the respray tho.

poid
02-07-2004, 08:26 AM
chubs: yeh mine is done now. Dont have any hp figures yet, hopefully new clutch goes in next week and then i can finally put it on a dyno

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
07-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Go the other way round dude

Misguided me spend 10k on looks and am regretting spending that money that I coulda spent on performance.

That was probs just because I had nfi bout cars when I first got mine and thought a stereo, rims and an exhaust were sick.

Didn't mind spending money on the respray tho.

Hmmm, yeah, but i dont see accords as much 'performing' cars..I mean, sure you ca get them running decent quarters, but what about reliability etc?

poid
07-09-2004, 09:22 AM
reliability is fine as long as you do things right and keep it properly maintained. I mean you'll have the occassional issue, like maybe an engine mount letting go or something due to the extra power, but the engine itself wont grenade unless you stuff something up or its stuffed to begin with

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
13-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Hmmm, if i were to buy some parts second hand, which ones would you get? Or what parts HAVE to be brand new?

poid
13-09-2004, 01:02 PM
well strictly speakingnothing absolutely has to be brand new. The turbo is one which i was wary buying second hand, as it can be hard to tell the condition of them. I mean you can check shaft play but unless you open it up its kinda hard to see if the centre housing is all clogged up with burnt oil.

Injectors i would get cleaned and flow tested before putting them in if they were second hand, last thing you want is uneven flow into the cylinders. Intercooler you just have to make sure there are no leaks etc.

The manifold is another one, it can be hard to know how stressed the welds are and whether they are going to let go on you.

If you aer patient you can pick up good deals on most of these parts, either new or second hand. You just have to wait for the right part to come along. My turbo for example i got with 1500km on it and it had the exhaust side already heat coated...saved me a few hundred on buying a new one and was in perfect condition.

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
17-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Ahhh, Thanks poid....useful inofrmation there...cheers

Lyle_Style
26-10-2004, 09:07 PM
For 5 K You could get a good setup for your accord,
On the exi which has a f22 or somethin, correct me if im wrong that hsould have a pretty low compression so you should be able to boost around 8psi.
A Complete kit for this power would include

Turbo
Manifold
Dump + Down pipe
Intercooler
BOV
Pipeing
Riseing rate fuel pressure regulator, (vortec 10:1 or 12:1, Increases 10 or 12 psi of fuel for every psi of boost)
You will get all this gear from the us easily if you look around, shop and research. The market over the is much bigger for honda performance parts. 2.5K should see all this gear landed at your door.

Aftermarket Standalone ECU For Full Controll (Not Piggyback, Power FC, Chip, Hack/VAFCC/SAFC). MicroTec or Motec
Tuneing
For a decent microtec with a custom map for your car + wireing, installation and dyno tuneing you are prolly looking at 2.5K again if you buy the Ecu directly from microtec and pay a tuner to install it and dyno it.

All up 5grand for something to get your started at 8 - 10psi, and do not underestimate how much of a power increase this is.

And lata in the future if u want you can alwayes upgrade you injectors, Rods, Rings, Pistons, Gudgen Pins, Decompression basically anything you want so your motor will be more boost friendly. Then just knock up the boost to 15lbs. But to do this serious work which is probably one level up again your looking at figures with 000's to do so, but it is better value to try get this power through N/A

Cheer mate good luck

poid
26-10-2004, 09:11 PM
a rising rate regulator to control fuel does not belong in any setup, let alone a 'good' one

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
27-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Hmmm, thats sounds decent Lyle...ive been looking on ebay in the US a fair bit, i found a t3/4 turbo with manifold and external wastegate for AUD $1100...shipping is prolly another $500? I would definately be keen to egt something like that but reliability is playing on my mind :S