PDA

View Full Version : will springs do???

fried
07-10-2003, 12:18 AM
i want to lower my vtir.

can i just get springs? and get the car lowered an inch or two? or should i save and get a whole suspension system?

i have heard that getting only springs is ok, but shortens the life, and is not good for your shocks etc. is there any truth to that statement?

i dont drive hard and i dont take corners hard, or go OPing hard etc, so yeah, thats a bit of how i drive. maybe that will effect the life?

thanks!!!
eric

mo
07-10-2003, 12:54 AM
yea apparently just springs will shorten the life of your shocks but not by much i don't think...like as long as you don't lower it by a ridicoulous amount i think...i want to lower my civic about 30mm so just over 1 inch.

toE
07-10-2003, 03:59 AM
aftermarket springs + stock shocks will shorten d life of d shocks.

U could do d springs first den the shocks if ur on a budget, but make the time difference of changing the stock shocks to aftermarket shocks 4-6 months.

My 2c :roll:

mo
07-10-2003, 11:48 AM
funny enough i've had two different answers from asking people about aftermarket springs and factory shocks...

they either say that the springs will kill the shocks really quick or it won't make a difference much at all...

vti-2
07-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Lowered springs with factory shocks will work but if you want to do it right then go the full suspension setup. I have super low springs on my Teg with standard shocks and the ride ain't that bad (that's with 18's too). The shocks are holding up well, but it's a Honda i guess. 8)

If you plan on keeping the car for a while do it right the first time.

olda
19-10-2003, 02:38 PM
Lowered springs with factory shocks will work but if you want to do it right then go the full suspension setup. I have super low springs on my Teg with standard shocks and the ride ain't that bad (that's with 18's too). The shocks are holding up well, but it's a Honda i guess. 8)

If you plan on keeping the car for a while do it right the first time.

How low is super low ? What springs do you use? Please advise. Thanks. :?:

CWDC2ITR

one more chance
19-10-2003, 05:47 PM
my general rule of thumb is that 40mm or 1.5" is suffice for a lowering job without changing the dampers, but anything lower then that you will need new/shorter shocks. but believe me, lower your honda at least 2" because if u lower it at like 1.5", you will be kicking yourself asking why u didnt lower it any lower!
u also have to take into account if u have bigger rims etc...this will determine how rough your ride will be!

joneblaze
19-10-2003, 06:07 PM
my general rule of thumb is that 40mm or 1.5" is suffice for a lowering job without changing the dampers, but anything lower then that you will need new/shorter shocks. but believe me, lower your honda at least 2" because if u lower it at like 1.5", you will be kicking yourself asking why u didnt lower it any lower!
u also have to take into account if u have bigger rims etc...this will determine how rough your ride will be!

hey dude may i ask why ur general rule of thumb is as stated? just that ive heard varying things from many ppl. most ppl have stated that its best of doing everything once off and properly (like im sure ud agree too), but i havent heard this "lowering up to 1.5" is ok without changing shocks" theory before. got any technical reasons to back it up? just interested.

jon

vti-2
20-10-2003, 07:16 AM
How low is super low ? What springs do you use? Please advise. Thanks.

Superlows are between 2.5-3inch drop. The springs are King Superlows... :wink:

one more chance
20-10-2003, 06:19 PM

hey dude may i ask why ur general rule of thumb is as stated? just that ive heard varying things from many ppl. most ppl have stated that its best of doing everything once off and properly (like im sure ud agree too), but i havent heard this "lowering up to 1.5" is ok without changing shocks" theory before. got any technical reasons to back it up? just interested.

jon

hey mate...

when lowering my DC2 i called numerous places before making the final decision to which path i would take. being young and naive i didn't want to spend too much money on a full suspension set-up, i just wanted a "fUlL sLaMmEd" car! many reputable workshops mentioned that generally 1.5" lower is ok, but not neccessarily advisable. They said that life span of my damper will be cut dramatically and that it will be a very rough ride, but they said you can get away with it! However, whether this is a good idea is another question! i lowered it with 1.5" lowered springers only....and i was happy for about 5 days, before i decided it had to go lower, i upgraded my shocks for yellow koni adjustables, and 2.5" lowered k-mac springs.......looked sooooooooo much better and handled 200 times better!

hope that helps!

fried
20-10-2003, 07:51 PM
so how much would shocks and springs cost for like 2"???
how much did u spend....?

i ahve no idea about budget oor brands atm....
thakns

Rowie
20-10-2003, 08:03 PM
your best bet is to ring around a few shops and get the info directly from the shop rather than getting second hand info. Just a suggestion :D as prices are always changing, and certain products may be on special as such 8)

one more chance
20-10-2003, 08:37 PM
your best bet is to ring around a few shops and get the info directly from the shop rather than getting second hand info. Just a suggestion :D as prices are always changing, and certain products may be on special as such 8)

that is correct! but just as an indication, my yellow koni adjustables were bought at supply price for i think $1200 if i remember correctly! retail may be $13-1400 i bought the k-mac springs for $360 for 2 pairs delivered to me, at that was retail price. my cousin and i fitted all ourselves, took a good half day!
but prices are all relative to brands etcs....

SpiceyTeg
21-10-2003, 09:16 AM
All Springs are pretty cheap and will get you out of trouble..
i think they charge $125 a pair and will make them as low as you want...
i went 3.5" at the rear and 3" at the front, and my shocks are fine dude..
give em a call

Allsprings Pty Ltd
62 Heathcote Rd Moorebank 2170
PH:(02) 9601 6155

SiNH
21-10-2003, 10:11 AM
I would say 1.5" is the absolute limit. If you want the handling and forgo the bling bling! factor then 1" would make your car at least 5 times better than stock.

You have to bear in mind that if you get lowered springs the whole chasis of your car will reduce in height and thus have a constant pressure on your shocks, and it loses about 1" of travel. The OEM shocks were not made to sit in this position all the time ( which is what happens when you lower the car ) so the wear on the shocks are 24/7 even when your car is parked. This is why your shocks will wear out prematurely.

You will dramatically alter your ride, it will be extremely bumpy because the shocks have not got that original distance/travel to absorb all the bumps and rough surface of the road. If for example your shocks only have 3" of travel left before hitting the bump stop your kidneys and internals will be thrown around on every ride hehehe. You'll regret it with such a harsh ride.

If you want to prolong the life of your shocks then I suggest a 1" to 1.25" drop and it will give you the handling package.

If you purely want the bling bling! factor then go the super lows, which is about a 3" or 5cm-ish drop. No handling advantage because you effectively cut your shock absorber's efficiency by about 70%. It looks awsome I admit. Watch out for beer cans on the road, and parking in public car parks,.. Good Luck! speed humps? steep driveways? hahaha.

A good compromise would be a 1.5" to 2" drop, it will wear your shocks out eventually, looks pretty good on the eye but the wear will be at a satisfactory rate.

If this was my decision I would pass on the springs for now and upgrade my front and rear sway bars before even thinking of springs. If you own a normal car, ie not a sports car with stiffer rated springs and lower center of gravity already ( most people actually ) then you would be suffering from excessive body roll. Springs will assist this to some extent, how ever the stiffness is more important than the height in this instance.

To stop or reduce your car from body roll you need to fit the right swaybars for your car.
If you can afford the swaybars and springs at the same time and able to do a proper wheel alignment then that would be the best option.

If you still insist on going springs first then I suggest you look into progressive springs, its a great compromise between good daily ride and hard cornering.

SiNH
21-10-2003, 10:15 AM
All Springs are pretty cheap and will get you out of trouble..
i think they charge $125 a pair and will make them as low as you want...
i went 3.5" at the rear and 3" at the front, and my shocks are fine dude..
give em a call

Allsprings Pty Ltd
62 Heathcote Rd Moorebank 2170
PH:(02) 9601 6155

They manufacture Jumbos Springs.

These springs are pretty good for bang for bucks, however most the people that I know that used these springs ( I did many years ago ) confirmed that they are good for about 1 year then it tends to sag.

So my advice is if you want a 2" drop then get the 1.5" and a year later it will be 2" LOL.

If you are on a budget then they are the go. If you want cheaper then head off the SuperCheap Autos and get their ones which is even cheaper than AllSprings.

I would stick with K-Mac, Kings and Whiteline if you intend on keeping your car for a few years.

SpiceyTeg
21-10-2003, 11:12 AM
These springs are pretty good for bang for bucks, however most the people that I know that used these springs ( I did many years ago ) confirmed that they are good for about 1 year then it tends to sag.

I agree that they are bang for bucks.. my mates had his 3.5" drop at the rear & a 3" drop at the front using Jumbo's and his has sagged about 0.5"
Go low dude!! teg's need to be low, they look awesome man!! even if u go on standard shocks for about 6 months, you can go upgrade later after a bit of saving if needed.. :lol:

ps.. take a look at my mates on 18" rims with no kit.. looks hot
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p99e82be96f3435d46e92b2bebcebaf56/fc13c896.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p50af958fba7846b42ba597c6ba1fe5f0/fc13d8a2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pc464e6d518a519ba630cf26d39c9fa56/fc13d893.jpg

SiNH
21-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Awsome bro! love it! gimme more pics.

joneblaze
21-10-2003, 11:33 AM
lovely teg..... not a fan of the rims though..... makes sense when you look in the background and realise where they're getting fitted at.... :)

EDIT: the stockies would have looked so much cleaner and better dropped IMO...

SpiceyTeg
21-10-2003, 12:14 PM
dont have any more pics yet..
but i think we are getting of the subject a bit, so yea i say slam your teg dude!!! it'll look sik! :lol:

fried
21-10-2003, 01:29 PM
DAMN! yeah.. well thats exactly how mine would look (the top pic, stock wheels, grey, no spoiler... gah!!!!!)....
hmmmm man i thought 1.5" would be enough, but it does look hot!
but i gotta keep it legal too....and i dont want the hassles of bumps etc.... so 1.5 will have to do. then at least the gap between rubber and side guard will be zERO. and i wont have THAT much trouble with speed humps, and westfield car parks etc....
so i guess when money comes.... 1.5" springs..... and some shocks too...

SpiceyTeg
21-10-2003, 01:49 PM
heres another pic.. both me and my mate went 3.5" low at the rear and 3" at front.. although i have front bar, so it does sit lower

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p3fcdcd50e3c65bc3c087a4e004f49e16/fac55524.jpg

olda
21-10-2003, 08:21 PM
How low is super low ? What springs do you use? Please advise. Thanks.

Superlows are between 2.5-3inch drop. The springs are King Superlows... :wink:

Thanks! That's a fair bit. We're talking 55-60mm here. The car shuld be pretty stiff. Using Eibach springs, i had my VTiR down 30mm only and she was already quite bumpy. However, the handling has improved a lot. Road and track. :thumbsup:

Teggy-Vtir
21-10-2003, 09:14 PM
fried: u sure u wanna go for 1.5"?? u mite not b satisfied.
well its up to u dood. =)

joneblaze
21-10-2003, 09:17 PM
fried: u sure u wanna go for 1.5"?? u mite not b satisfied.
well its up to u dood. =)
he's in same boat as myself, have to keep insurance legal and can't afford adjustables or coilovers......
plus i dun think he's too heavy on the slammed phatness, jus a slight lowering and vtir stockies will make him happy........
now i just wish i had some Speedy 15"s....... :roll:

Teggy-Vtir
21-10-2003, 09:21 PM
janeblaze: yeah insurance is a problem with me aswell =\
im plannin to drop mine about 2.5" but im also finkin about insurance
bah i mite jus go for 1.5" since i got an addon kit

poweredbyhonda
22-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Ive gone with King springs[/img] I had the springs in for about nearly 2 years. Shocks are still good and I love taking corners hard!
I got a pic but don;t know how to put it up. The car isn't super low but it's at a stage where it's sittin gnice enough. It takes a while for the springs to settle in.

fried
22-10-2003, 02:37 PM
yeah, jsut called insurance...

1.5 will do... or whatever 1/3 of the height....

any lower, they wont insure me.... not a matter of paying more, they just wont insure me.

as far as any other modifications, like an exhuast, which is waht i want also, they prolly wont allow it.... maybe .5" pipping bigger, but thats it... i dunno.

so, yeah but 1.5" is good enough for me, i mean of course lower is better, but getting rid of the gap between rubber and body, is DEFINATELY good enough... as i said earlier.

Calvo
22-10-2003, 07:19 PM
just a question, dunno if its stupid q or not, but if i just by springs and lower my accord by 2in (max) usin stock shocks, wen i get new shocks in a few mnths, can i still use those same springs?
coz i dun wanna have to buy new springs again.
any help is appreciated :P

mo
22-10-2003, 08:48 PM
don't think so.

Redteg
22-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Calvo: As long as you are happy with the springs there's nothing stopping you from reusing them.

Teggy-Vtir
22-10-2003, 09:30 PM
dunt fink ull need new springs, if ur only changin shocks

Calvo
23-10-2003, 12:19 AM
shibby :P

AJ008
06-11-2003, 11:49 PM
I went with H&R sport springs, still using standard shocks... for the meantime I guess. They give a 1.75 drop up front and 1.5 back. Im happy with them, just wanted to get rid of the horrible 4x4 ride height and gap! Ride quality to me is good, almost like factory feel.. but most importantly, body roll and brake dive (is that the term) has significantly been reduced.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/313452/side(Small).jpg

Pic was taken right after I got em installed, hopefully the springs settle more hehe

civicboy
07-11-2003, 12:15 AM
buy coilovers! it may cost but performace & road worthy...it last long too :)

fried
09-11-2003, 12:08 PM
nice man! thats what i want too, to get rid of the gap.....
tell us maybe after another 5000 kilimoters how the ride feels? still liek factory or what?... thanks man!

vti-2
18-11-2003, 02:33 PM
What is your budget? I can't believe no one has asked yet.

booget
19-11-2003, 01:35 AM
drop it 2"!!!
on 17's just rite
i dun have any probs on humps or anything

C:\Documents and Settings\son\My Documents\My Pictures\120_2020.jpg

booget
19-11-2003, 01:36 AM
heheh some1 tell me how to post piccies??
im a blonde

vti-2
19-11-2003, 08:48 AM
You funny bugger... :lol:

You need to upload the image to webspace somewhere and link it that way or use your personal gallery. You can't link from your computer. :)

XXpl0Sive
19-11-2003, 09:48 AM
LOL booget!!
HAHAHAHA

mo
19-11-2003, 11:13 AM
im a blonde

hahah son you damn blonde!!
if you want email me the pic and i'll host it for you
mhor@iinet.net.au

wynode
19-11-2003, 01:16 PM
im a blonde

Have a look here on how to post pictures Blondie :D

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=699

booget
19-11-2003, 01:17 PM
hahahah thanks fellas

friggen and im studying computiong
farni

EG_2_TEG
14-01-2004, 10:57 PM
i got a couple of quotes to drop my bitch today

kings superlow ($500) + koni adjustables ($1000) fitted
or a set of coilovers fitted for $1500

only prob is one of the suspension joints said i might have "driveline vibration" if i lower it 50mm

anyone have this prob with their DC2?

cheers

revolution
14-01-2004, 11:13 PM
I got Jumboz springs on my car wif stock shocks...If u r on a tight budget like me then just get springs, but I must warn u that it is a pretty rough ride!!! Everyday to uni it is like, BUMP OUCH BUMP OUCH. I have put on the springs for around 5K kms or so, and so far shocks seem to have no probs and yes it will sag (Mine have only sagged a little, not much).

I have dropped it like 2.5 inches and i reckon it is perfect height, well a tiny bit lower would've been good ;) , and if u lower it 1.5" u will be kicking urself silly as to why u ddin't lower it a little more!!!

Boost
16-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi guys,
My vtir is sitting on k-macs 2" drop, the guards sits just above the tyres. so it think if you want to get rid of the gaps you may need to go 2" instead of 1.5"
Also no one has mentioned that by lowering your integras your tyres are going to wear unevenly, most likely negative camber. So you will also need to get a camber kit to correct the angle. Or if you are on a tight budget you can just swap the front wheels with the back wheels once the inside fronts are worn. THen once these are worn you can then swap the back right tyre with the front left tyre and the front right tyre with the back left tyre, drive until these are worn. Then swap the front wheels with the back wheels. So as a result you are getting 4 uses out of them, however you will need to go to the mechanics or tyre shops to get them to switch the tyres for you.
Sweet as. :)
I think Jumboz are kind crap like someone said earlier they tend to sag after a while. Go either for kings,k-macs, pedders are ok or if you have the bucks go for Tein. Now these are sweet.

cheers.

fried
17-01-2004, 01:42 PM
i got a couple of quotes to drop my bitch today

kings superlow ($500) + koni adjustables ($1000) fitted
or a set of coilovers fitted for $1500

only prob is one of the suspension joints said i might have "driveline vibration" if i lower it 50mm

anyone have this prob with their DC2?

cheers

which coilovers???

whats driveline vibration?

EG_2_TEG
19-01-2004, 04:29 PM
can't remember the exact name. just know they're made by king springs

i'm not too sure myself about driveline vibration. i think its where there's more strain on the driveline when u lower the car cos its got less room (freeplay) to move around

EG_2_TEG
26-02-2004, 01:31 AM
* bump *

is $1500 a decent price for brand new kings coilovers fitted?

VTEC16
26-02-2004, 11:42 AM
depends completely on the specific coilovers man......post up the name of them and someone will be able to tell you!

EG_2_TEG
27-02-2004, 11:43 PM
those coilover have sold :?

just gonna drop my car on some superlow springs for the time being

any recommendations between whiteline flatout and kings superlow springs?

cheers

michael_antoi
15-11-2004, 06:16 PM
found this thread on a search..

looking to lower my car about 2-2.5 inches..

dont want 1.5 coz i might not be happy with it

dont want 3 coz i dont want rediculously low..

how much will superlow king springs bring me down..

i heard it was 3inches and that normal kings springs were 1.5 inches

is this correct...ho can i get around 2-2.5 inches?