PDA

View Full Version : 2 diff subs

CIV73C
09-06-2004, 10:18 PM
hey pplz,

ive gotta query that im hopin u can help me wif

ive already gotta sub in my ride, i want to put in another one..

the question is. is it alrite to hav 2 diff subs??
wil that affect the sound quality?.. or wateva??
or is it best to put the same 2 subs in???

fanx..

traNce_gl
09-06-2004, 11:02 PM
i always reckon to have the same sub and same amps...
go with the same brand

SIKCVC
09-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Well you dont have to have the same amps becuase each amp might have a different purpose :shock: But the subs have the same purpose, make low range sound. If your putting in 2 subs make sure they're the same. and if your amping each from seperate amps then YES they should be the same amps as well. and when i say same that i dont mean same power, coz a lot of companies B/S there figures.

But same type of subs from the same company, same model and same size. UNLES your placing them in a differnt stage of the car. ie the front. then you might want to have 5" speakers with 8inch subs and tweaters... tis been done and while its loud i didn't really like the way it sounded.

SIKCVC
09-06-2004, 11:12 PM
when i say in a different stage i ment having say, a set of 12s in the back as well as the 8s in the front. but dont do that, its pointless and doesn't sound that great, if you want bassy front stage use 6.5" splits...

A'PEXi
09-06-2004, 11:17 PM
should be alright if theyre the same size etc. if one is free air and one is a sealed one then i wouldnt put them together :P.....

toE
09-06-2004, 11:54 PM
i reckon they'd have to be of the same model and brand. im pretty sure i read somewhere that with different models/brands, they give off different wavelengths or sumfin along those lines and will disrupt if not alter the sound/thump/pounding coming frm the subs.

so..yeh...Fhrx mite have to confirm this.

SIKCVC
10-06-2004, 12:40 AM
should be alright if theyre the same size etc. if one is free air and one is a sealed one then i wouldnt put them together

Wanna try it :P HAHAHA, Some how i dont think my friends Lightning audio 12in Strike sub would sound good AT ALL, with my Orion 12 cobalt sub.

They might be the same size, similar power rating, same voice coil size same displacment but ****ed if it would sound good. His sub is shit at higher frequencys and mine is shit at really low frequencies.

Dont mix subs unless your mixing them over stages...

Javed
10-06-2004, 02:08 AM
SIKCVC is completely correct here. The sound would be absolutely turd. Not only some cancellation of waves might occur, as suggested , drivers play different frequencies better, irrelevant of the size being exact. My honest opinion is to get 1 good sub. In any Honda it is more than adequate. I have a Boston Pro 12" Ready to go into my tegs, giving it 500 rms, im sure it will be enough! (cant wait to hear it!). As for the amps, its generally better to have the same amps powering the usbs (if using 2 sub amps) unless you have access to a digital oscilloscope to ensure you are giving each sub the exact same power.

Fhrx
10-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Most subwoofers possess different electromechanical properties within the engine. This will be reflected in the subs aural output.

The subs will play with different efficiency, different frequency response, different distortion and different roll-off so when you couple two different types together both doing similar frequencies you might get lucky but chancer are it will sound poor. :(

CIV73C
10-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks heaps pplz!..

SOo therefore i'l havta find the same sub as wat ive got now..

is it Alrite to run both subs... say 600W off one 1200W amp??

does it make a diff wif the enclosed box that u put it in?
coz my subs says recommended for 50L or sth.. wat happens if i put it in a smaller sized box?

toE
11-06-2004, 12:20 AM
wat sub do u have atm??

CIV73C
11-06-2004, 09:11 AM
I think ive got the Pioneer ( TW304C ) 12" 600W sub

im thinkin of getting another one

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
11-06-2004, 10:14 AM
is that the vccs sub? if so i think youll find it hard to buy one from a shop...as they have been replaced... im selling one in a box with an amp for 100 if your intersted...

CIV73C
11-06-2004, 10:54 AM
yehh its the vccs subs..
how bigs ur amp??

ive alreadi got a box for 2 subs. so wont b needing the box..

would u separate the subs from the box?
and how much??

CIV73C
11-06-2004, 10:57 AM
SOo wat would happen if i put those 2 pioneer subs in a small enclosed box rather than the recommended size box??

SIKCVC
11-06-2004, 12:25 PM
you'll get a "punchier" sound, ie tighter bass. with 12s thats not a bad idea usually. although i went over on both my sub boxes :P and it sounds great :D If your sub is fairly responsive anyway then the bigger can be better. if its a sloppy sub then smallers better. Also its recomended to make sure the box is split, ie 2 boxes not 1. just so that they're not competing. I used to hear it once in a blue moon with my old box but its usually not a hastle if its running in parrallel serries of 1 amp :roll: but if your running of 2 seperate amps make sure your using 2 seperate boxes.

Fhrx
11-06-2004, 04:06 PM
One quick note; most subwoofer manufacturers recommend the safest enclosure, not the best sounding. Try different sized enclosures and see which you like the sound of best.

mojo the flashy monkey
12-06-2004, 11:32 AM
hey i just got me 2 jlaudio wo10" subs u recon they will need a box cos if they dont im happy lol i failed wood work for a reson :P

SIKCVC
12-06-2004, 02:14 PM
:P hahhaha most subs will sound better with a box... i'm sure Fhrx will give a much better reason and more clear reason than i could :P its not hard to make a crappy box if you really dont care that much.

Javed
12-06-2004, 02:17 PM
im pretty sure a W0 isnt made for a free air application, assuming this is so it will require a box.

Fhrx
14-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Like Javed said, the W0 does need an enclosure yes mojo. ;)