PDA

View Full Version : Spare tyre advise

Breezy
30-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Is there any advantages of taking the spare tyre out of the boot, in regards to performance or handling wise? Or is it better to keep it in there?

destrukshn
30-12-2006, 05:41 PM
i would personally keep it in there.
if someone rear ends you, it actually helps the reinforcement.
plus it's a centered 12kgs or so, so it shouldn't unbalance your car.
plus it's there when you need it.
lol.

Spunkymonkey
30-12-2006, 05:45 PM
common sense for the street- keep it because you never know when you will get a flat.

If your at the track, then its up to you. You may want to take it out to lighten the car, but I would still take it to the track lol.

dfekm3
30-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I dont have a spare tyre in my car... mainly due to my sound system install... had to maximise the space for amps, subs, caps etc etc etc

But I do carry a tyre in a can thing a m i bob... or there is my mobile to call someone to go and get my spare tyre..

Lucky I live in adelaide.. dont travel far.. max 30 mins from my house.. :p

Rice_4_life
30-12-2006, 06:30 PM
ahh anythin happen if u do tak it out and cops sumhow find u dont hav one?

dfekm3
30-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Nope.. they dun say nothin, they dont check my boot and when they do they say.. oooOOoo .... aaaaahhhh... haha
Ive even been through regency (defect) and they check everything and dun say nothing..

I think i heard some where it is illigal to carry a flat spare but it is not illigal not to carry one.. shrugz..

Geekstar
30-12-2006, 07:22 PM
lol a victim of regency, I hope I never have to visit that hellhole.

nugget666
31-12-2006, 10:58 AM
It is illegal to not carry a spare tyre.. well at least in qld it is.

Dylanamus
02-01-2007, 07:13 PM
I think this another one of those strange laws like mudflaps (you have to have all four or none, otherwise it's ilegal) - it's legal to have no spare wheel at all, but ilegal to have a spare wheel if the tyre is unroadworthy.

For this reason I don't have mine in the boot - tyre is stripped to the canvass thanks to a dodgey seller, replacing the one I saw on the car with a rooted one just before he handed me the keys and I didn't think to check AGAIN.

12kg is a considerable amount of weight reduction for a single item, so I would be inclined to remove it when you're actually timing yourself (ie on the track), otherwise you won't notice the difference in my opinion.