31-12-2006, 07:20 PM
NOBODY TELL ME TO SEARCH

ive tried, nothing comes up

i want to hear from ppl who know of HKS coilovers

i want to hear from ppl who have HKS coilovers installed

i may be getting some for my car soon

i want to know specifically about ease of installation

whether pillow ballmounts with adjustable camber feature can be used

are the springs too stiff for everyday road use and evry day driving style?

if the springs are too stiff, then wat wer the HKS springs replaced with? how much...etc

btw, i have an ES civic

thanx for help guyz

Xplodin
31-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Man Do a search! There's heaps of info about HKS Coils :P

lol hahah JK

I was just at the D2 Website.
http://www.d2racingsports.com.au/suspension.htm

Have a look under civic.... Daniel Runs his euro on D2's and his quite happy with it. I dunno much about the HKS but if u want when i get my coils in we'll go for a run and u can see how much of a difference it makes.

krogoth
01-01-2007, 12:45 AM
i know itll be a huge difference

but im worried about the springs being too stiff, opening the possibility for damage to other parts of the suspension

as they are racing coils, springs may be a bit too stiff for road use

MoonSha
01-01-2007, 10:05 AM
D2's are excellent value if your set on a new set of coilovers, I haven't heard any feedback from people running them on the road but I'm sure they can be made to suit that use.

I'd suggest taking a look at yahoo japan through an importer, it's easy to find a low km set of cusco or tein coilovers for less than $800 shipped to you.

krogoth
01-01-2007, 10:23 AM
i already have my eye on a local 2nd hand set of HKS coils

but im not buying them until i know some more about them

from wat i know of HKS is that they are more of a racing brand

therefore very stiff....could be unsuitable for everyday driving

the set im looking at also comes with pillow ball mounts to adjust camber

is this applicable for a double wishbone susp setup? corect me if im rong but i think they are useless for camber adjustment

MoonSha
01-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't think HKS do very good suspension, good engine parts and exhausts but not suspension.

krogoth
01-01-2007, 10:29 AM
the camber problem...

the minimum drops seems to be almost 2 inches

this will bring at least 2 degreez of neg camber to the rear wheels

prob -1 for the front

not huge but will cause the tyres to wear more quickly

i know alot of older civics and accords use a LCA and UCA type sussy setup

so camber can be adjusted slightly quite easily with longer bolts and a couple of washers for the rear wheels anyway

not so simple with the fronts, adjustable LCA would be needed

again this is all for older civics and accords, the ES civic has a very different sussy setup.....from wat i can tell....most of the stuff made for older civics would be useles for my model

plz correct me of im rong on anything

bennjamin
01-01-2007, 03:47 PM
the camber problem...

the minimum drops seems to be almost 2 inches

this will bring at least 2 degreez of neg camber to the rear wheels

prob -1 for the front

not huge but will cause the tyres to wear more quickly

i know alot of older civics and accords use a LCA and UCA type sussy setup

so camber can be adjusted slightly quite easily with longer bolts and a couple of washers for the rear wheels anyway

not so simple with the fronts, adjustable LCA would be needed

again this is all for older civics and accords, the ES civic has a very different sussy setup.....from wat i can tell....most of the stuff made for older civics would be useles for my model

plz correct me of im rong on anything

Just for you to know ,

Camber is adjusted via either front or rear UPPER control arms.(by an aftermarket kit etc)
On most hondas Camber CANNOT be adjust via the suspension upper perch (top) due to the wishbone design of suspension.
Having a adjustable upper mount helps with altering the shocks travel in lowering situations.

JDC5R
01-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think HKS do very good suspension, good engine parts and exhausts but not suspension.

at the risk of sounding like i am flaming you can you please notify me what you base this speculation on?

Throughout differing cars and alot of different coilovers i have tried. HKS hipermax II is amongst the most comfortable and compliant for Sydney roads.

However i would be careful with purchasing a second hand set of coilovers as really you have no idea what it has gone through.

bennjamin
01-01-2007, 06:42 PM
However i would be careful with purchasing a second hand set of coilovers as really you have no idea what it has gone through.

Excellent point.

Second hand Coilovers (or any suspension) may look OK on the outside ( maybe some surface rust etc) but you need to take them literally apart to find out the condition.
"coilovers" run vastly stiffer rates and damping than normal road suspension and have a much harder life so chances are they will need a rebuild or throw out as a second hand unit.

krogoth
01-01-2007, 10:06 PM
4 months old, hardly used

the guy got them and now heez goin home and wants to get rid of them

i havent bought anything yet, much investigation needs to be done, lol

of course one needs to be careful wen buying anything 2nd hand, esp wen it comes to important car parts

but this seems to be legit, and 4 months of occasional use on a civic.....prob means it hasnt been thrashed too much nor has it seen the race track, but weel see

krogoth
01-01-2007, 10:08 PM

plz dont make huge statements....UNLESS u have proof to back them up

ur above statement is complete rubbish so far

its like me going into a thread about tein coils and posting a one liner like:

teins a fkn shit, skunk2 are the best

wata load of crap

MoonSha
05-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I've read hundreds of threads on suspension over the years, I constantly read about first hand experiences with HKS coilovers and how they weren't as good as Tein or Cusco jobs.

You going into a thread and saying "teins a fkn shit, skunk2 are the best" seems to suit your typing style perfectly and does seem like something you would do. Nobody would even notice your input but you can feel free to ignore mine.

I've bought 2nd hand Tein HA coilovers for my supra from japan. We'll see how good they are when they arrive in a few weeks.

There's a reason why I wrote "I don't think" because I don't know. Learn to read and write effectively and you might pick up such a nuance and digest what I've written the way I intended it.

e240
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
4 months old, hardly used

the guy got them and now heez goin home and wants to get rid of them

i havent bought anything yet, much investigation needs to be done, lol

of course one needs to be careful wen buying anything 2nd hand, esp wen it comes to important car parts

but this seems to be legit, and 4 months of occasional use on a civic.....prob means it hasnt been thrashed too much nor has it seen the race track, but weel see

If you're getting the Hipermax II, that should be good for the street.
I'm getting hold of the Hipermax pro myself

BTW, HKS makes excellent Coilovers...They've been proven on the race track. The person supplying me the set races them successfully up in Malaysia.

SiReal
05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
im sure they're better than pedders/kings/monroe so be happy about that and SEARCH NOOB!

ask him to provide u with a model no.

edit: had a look at the ad, it says linear 7kg rates so its not that hard. its bearable for street.

xiaohung
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm using D2 coilovers on my 06 civic, i found that D2 a bit stiff and really good in handling.

Xplodin
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Wahhhhh Go the D2!

Anyways, Waz, i was speaking to James about the coilovers, not only well known brand names but also ones like D2! His never tried them before.. but speak to him about it... Respect man is all i have to say

EKVTIR-T
05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
HiperMax for the Honda range definately seem on the soft side.A friend of mine went from Tein S tech with stock struts to HiperMax on his Dc5 and it feels like jelly and alot more body roll and weight shift compared to the old setup,thats on hardest setting too.From what Ive heard from nissan owners they seem to be hard enough on s13/14's etc.See if you can take a ride in a HiperMax equipped car for peace of mind...

Muzz
19-02-2007, 11:00 AM
D2's are excellent value if your set on a new set of coilovers, I haven't heard any feedback from people running them on the road but I'm sure they can be made to suit that use.

lmao, hks offer some excelent coilovers, worlds above d2s, ive heard of lots of issues reguarding the d2s quailty, especially reguarding oil leaking and longevity. Im suprised you havnt noticed this since youve read "hundreds of threads on suspension" Hks are proven to be excelent build quality, used by lots of higher level teams on the race track, you dont see any racing teams rockin those cheap d2s!

Your obviously basing your judgement on what you feel.