PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any high spring rated springs??

Dxs
01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Just checking out all my options in regards to a suspention upgrade.

All the jap brand springs i have found for my car have been around
F6kg R4kg

Just wondering if anything stiffer is around.

When you can get 24kg for coilovers, there must be something higher than 6kg for a spring strut combo..

I have heard of people with stiff rides that dont run coilovers..

so yeah, anyone know of anything, particularly in EF.. or even EG/DC stuff?

chef_32
01-01-2007, 11:29 PM
why not get some made. plenty of spring places around. You're better off getting ones made to your specs. (i.e. calculate your desired frequency), then choosing some arbitary high rate springs.

any particular reason for a high spring rate??

Dxs
01-01-2007, 11:41 PM
want a higher spring rate for basic handling improvement..
simply can not be bothered getting custom, and like a lot of custom things with cars most of the time they tend to a poor option compaired to a mass produced and trusted item..

i will most likely end up with coils... but i would be intrigued by a cheap spring with good rates

Zdster
02-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Look at Apexi - although I am not sure if they do springs alone.

chef_32
02-01-2007, 10:47 AM
go coilovers, High rates will wear your average shocks out very quickly. Why don't you look at swaybars to decrease roll rather than a high spring rate? Unless you have significant problems with anti-dive, anti-squat...

Either way, high rate will make for a harsh ride, and can compromise contact patch under bumpy (normal) road conditions. High rate is far more suited to track work.

Custom car components come out shit cos the person doen't know what they want. Race cars are made of a significant number of custom components which work because they are engineered for the dynamics of that specific vehicle.

bennjamin
02-01-2007, 01:08 PM
high rates and normal "shocks" do not work at all...
"coilovers" have different / more efficient internals that can work whihc such harsh rates and rebound/bound settings.

On any normal shocks 6/4 is about as stiff as you can get IMO

BlitZ
02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
HR race springs ;)

or you can go all springs.. but all springs might fall out when u hit a bananna so you are better off with no springs

chef_32
02-01-2007, 05:56 PM
""coilovers" have different / more efficient internals"

based on what???

you are saying that a specific brand of dampers have different internals dependent on whether the body is threaded or not

Dxs
02-01-2007, 07:19 PM
i would obviously use suitable dampers..
i will look at HR springs..

looks like coilovers are the best bang for buck though..
i was mainly checking the generally cheaper spring and shock combo to see if their may be a suprise.. doesnt look so though

edit: swaybars are also already under control

bennjamin
02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
""coilovers" have different / more efficient internals"

based on what???

you are saying that a specific brand of dampers have different internals dependent on whether the body is threaded or not

Not because the body is "threaded".OR by any particular brand.
Its because of the springs the shock is attached to. Thicker rates need better bound/rebound internal to the shock itself.
Springs are "held" in stroke by the shock , not the other way around