PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems.

Mikey Coupe
03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
my clutch seems to be making a speaking noise whenever i put the clutch in. i checked the pedal but it sounds like its coming from the outside.

also every once and a while my car makes a wierd noise when i turn left. its not a cv joint noise. its more like a hissing. like when you full lock the steering wheel, the sound that comes from the pump. but my sound is louder.

any suggestions on wat these problems might be will be all appreciated.

cheers guys!

bigjo5
03-01-2007, 08:14 PM
not sure about that so called speaking noise ur talking about thats commin from the pedal but as for teh hissing noise maybe u keep full locking your steering wheel therefore wrecking ur powersteering pump.. so maybe ur pump is toasted.
edit : or you could have a leak in one of ur powersteering hoses, check in the powersteering reservoir if the fluid still full.

egSi
04-01-2007, 04:48 PM
if your a ps hose is leaking u wont get 2m without knowing bout it

rhk
04-01-2007, 05:27 PM
clutch pedal squeaking is nothing to be worried about. i had it on my 7th gen when it was new lol.

rivergod
04-01-2007, 07:55 PM
the same goes for all ej8's. i have TWO mates with squeaky clutches. apparantly it only happens during cold days... they're looking into it.

another apparant problem wih these cars are not only the CV joints but also the power windows.

mrwillz
04-01-2007, 07:58 PM
yess!
wen it was cold i kud hear it squek its heart out
but only wen its cold

bennjamin
04-01-2007, 08:47 PM
clutch squeaking can = release /throwout bearing
worn or lacking grease .
You can lubricate it , but the noise will come back.

Option is to replace with next clutch replacement :)

spanks
04-01-2007, 10:02 PM
worn or lacking grease .

The squeak is actually a dry pivot point on the clutch fork.Bearing will still be ok.Snap on make a tube that gets to pivot point and very small amount of spray grease(be careful)can be applied.

CivicSi
04-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I had a few issues with my clutch making a sweaking noise.... i talked to my mechanic who said it was nothing.... I'm not sure if it was related but a few months later i had to have the master and slave hydraulics replaced... you'll know if this has happened because i had some fluid running down the back of my pedal, run your hand along the back and if it feels greasy then that may be it...

JDM80Y
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I had a few issues with my clutch making a sweaking noise.... i talked to my mechanic who said it was nothing.... I'm not sure if it was related but a few months later i had to have the master and slave hydraulics replaced... you'll know if this has happened because i had some fluid running down the back of my pedal, run your hand along the back and if it feels greasy then that may be it...

Thanks CivicSi for that, I'm going to check this next time I drive my car, because I've also had the same problem on my EJ8 and the machanics also advised it was nothing to worry about.

The issue does seem like it is a recurring issue and essentially only happens on cold days or mornings after a good nights sleep but I did notice it more when there is dead silence in the surrounding environment.

Most people would probably argue that there is something wrong because they love their Honda's but from the looks of things it seems like most replies show that its not too much of an issue???

Cheers

czy_sol87
05-01-2007, 05:32 PM
if ps is not leaking check if the reservoir is full, u might need to flush it

also when was the last time u bleed the clutch fluid

xcwizit
06-01-2007, 08:48 PM
that hissing noise could be ur power steering belt going.. due to wear and tear. Then again i could be wrong just check it out anyway. GL mate!!

twing
05-02-2007, 01:59 PM
My EJ8 clutch also has the squeaking noise.
Only happens on first few minutes of drive. After warming up, it's gone.
So pretty much we have to put on this until new clutch.

My clutch also feels rough on engagement point. Can feel the pedal vibrates.
Any one get this problem too?

sinisterd
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
worn or lacking grease .

I had this issue on my ek, and yes that was the fix, some bearing to be replaced when i replaced clutch.

I also did a clutch bleed with a help from a friend.

A mate had a squeaky clutch in his r33 which was fixed with some lashings of WD40. But thats if the sound is the actualy clutch pedal if its a whining noise most likely a bearing.

hope that helps.

bennjamin
05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I had this issue on my ek, and yes that was the fix, some bearing to be replaced when i replaced clutch.

I also did a clutch bleed with a help from a friend.

A mate had a squeaky clutch in his r33 which was fixed with some lashings of WD40. But thats if the sound is the actualy clutch pedal if its a whining noise most likely a bearing.

hope that helps.

WD40 is a very temporary fix ~ it will wear off quickly and the noise will come back.
Its rectified by either spraying some proper general purpose grease into the slave housing ( pull back the rubber boot on the front of the gearbox to access) or simply apply a liberal amount of general purpose grease on the release bearing when installing.

JasonGilholme
05-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Would silicone spray suffice?

bennjamin
05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Would silicone spray suffice?

wait for aarong to tell us the chemical properties and whether is basically any good ~ but my basic sense tells me no its the same as WD40. Temporary ~ get proper general purpose grease in there...

JasonGilholme
05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking as well. How bout some CV grease?? I think i got some of that hangin around.

I don't like WD40 on rubber cause it dries it out. Silicone spray doesn't seem as bad.

bennjamin
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking as well. How bout some CV grease?? I think i got some of that hangin around.

I don't like WD40 on rubber cause it dries it out. Silicone spray doesn't seem as bad.

Its pretty much general-purpose grease or nothing if you want it to last.

Refer to this pic for proper location of GPG ~

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/release.JPG

JasonGilholme
05-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Oh yeah i'd definately use the right stuff for the release bearing but i was more concerned about what i could use in the slave cylinder boot?

bennjamin
05-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah i'd definately use the right stuff for the release bearing but i was more concerned about what i could use in the slave cylinder boot?

You mean VIA the slave cylinder boot ? The small nob that pushes onto the release fork , you need general purpose grease too.
The "noise" we are talking about is associated with the release bearing not being fully lubricated. It screeches as it moves the clutch pressure plate diaphragm

twing
05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
will this fix my clutch roughness too?

JasonGilholme
05-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I hope so cause thats what i'm gettin a bit of at the moment.

bennjamin
05-02-2007, 10:47 PM
have u guys tried bleeding the clutch reservoir ?

twing
06-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Yup.. With phreshhhhh honda OEM brake fluid :thumbsup: