PDA

View Full Version : Tanabe Vs Tein Coilovers ?

preludacris
03-01-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm gonna be buying a set of coilovers soon. and I'm still undecided as which one to get

atm , im considering Tanabe sustech pro SS and Tein SS.

does anybody have experience with either? and advantages and disadvantages would be good

btw, tanabe has a helper spring with spring rate of 10 and 6. and the Tein have pillow upper mounts with spring rate of 9 and 6. both same price..and pretty much same height and damper adjustment i think.

any feedback would be great. thx :)

Spunkymonkey
03-01-2007, 08:15 PM
how much are they approximately. There is a review on one of the tanabe coilovers not the ss though in the review forum if you search for it. It has the helper spring but not he damper adjustment.

preludacris
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
both around 1650

for some reason, i don't have the best perception of tein quality...

btw, i can't find the review on the tanabe coilovers... :S

SLOWEGG
03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Have u considered buddyclubs? Tein ss are pretty soft from what people have said, so if you're tracking stay away from them.

egSi
03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
why have you only picked those 2? there r other out there?

imo tein r all hype but i dont have anything bad to say about tanabe

preludacris
04-01-2007, 01:41 AM
well its for a prelude bb1. i think coilovers are not as common for preludes.

i guess, i'm open to other brands, but not as much feedback from other brands. I think these 2 are more popular for the prelude. not sure if buddyclub makes for lude.

also i'm after a street coilover that can still go well at the track, so i was thinking of these ones.

sivic
04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
tanabe are great. firm yet comfortable. basically the same a GAB's as both use KYB manufactured struts.

Spunkymonkey
04-01-2007, 08:22 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25726&highlight=tanabe+review

here's the link for the review

egSi
04-01-2007, 08:29 PM
well its for a prelude bb1. i think coilovers are not as common for preludes.

i guess, i'm open to other brands, but not as much feedback from other brands. I think these 2 are more popular for the prelude. not sure if buddyclub makes for lude.

also i'm after a street coilover that can still go well at the track, so i was thinking of these ones.

Ksport makes a coilover for your car mate,
check link:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50705&highlight=ksport

STIGT
04-01-2007, 11:05 PM
u can try this website http://www.tanabe-usa.com/

preludacris
05-01-2007, 03:53 AM
yeah i've checked the US site, but the US spec coilovers are a bit diff to the japs. the spring rates are a bit softer.

oh btw, the TANABE only have 4 different damper settings. is this a disadvantage?

i think im gonna go with the tanabe anwayz. i agree that teins are a bit over rated. plus tanabe has kyb shocks, which apparently are very comfortable, without sacrificing performance.

:)

Dylanamus
08-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Tien were too soft for my liking, and I didn't even take the crx to the track during the time I owned SS suspension. It's VERY MUCH a choice you can only make yourself based on personal preferances. In an ideal world, the best thing to do would be test drive a few different Preludes with certain spring rates and then cut down your selection to the coilovers closest to those rates.

I did this in a less than ideal fashion - trial and error. The loss in resale is worth getting what you want out of your car, but it's not very cost effective haha.

If you like to feel like you're driving a performance vehicle even when you're on the street, then I would say don't make the mistake of getting suspension that is too soft or you will just feel like you haven't quite got what you want.

If you just want a slight improvement upon stock that doesn't compromise "comfort" and the places you can take your car (ie dirt roads, some road humps etc) then maybe a progressive style coilover is more suitable for you (like Tien SS).

urbanracer.com
08-01-2007, 09:54 PM
hi mate,

just wondering who you are going through for the tanabe suspension? i'm thinking of eitehr going tanabe or tein aswell.. but was tending to go with tein due to the fact of the manufacturer's support (via fulcrum) and that they can be rebuilt in australia.

is this the case with tanabe aswell?

Dylanamus
08-01-2007, 09:58 PM
As I've said a few times before, and I quite like this simile, streetable versus trackable suspension is just the same conflict as engine economy versus power. One comes at the cost of the other. Unless you go all out, you will be making a compromise. I'd suggest trying to decide where out of 10 you sit on the streetable to trackable scale and then you'll have a better chance concluding what features in a coilover suit you.

In saying that, 4 damper settings will be more than enough adjustment for you if you never really plan to tune your suspension to suit track racing. You probably wouldn't even notice the difference between full hard and full soft just driving around legally on the street. I would suggest being patient and researching just a tiny bit more, mate. Tanabe and Tien are not the only coilovers available for your Lude.

preludacris
08-01-2007, 10:24 PM
well i just ended up ordering the Tanabe's. thru assassin the ozhonda trader.

im gonna be taking my car to track for sure , hopefully next month, and probably every so often after that.

in terms of what is hard/soft enuff. i chose these 2 options coz they seem to be best spring rates for a mixture of street and mountain runs. comfortable enuff, yet can go pretty hard too

u can rebuild tanabe's. the shocks are by KYB. and tein SS is straight thru not progressive im pretty sure.

and for coilovers for prelude, there isnt too many i'd consider because of lack of feedback or brands, or spring rates are wayy too hard.

Dylanamus
08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Tien SS for the EF8/9 are progressive. I owned them and saw the progressive springs with my own eyes. I see no reason why such a feature wouldn't have been extended too all other models, considering it is definitely something that makes them more "streetable". Personally I don't like progressive springs. And that's just what it is, a personal preference.

Zeals would have been a solid option too. What rates are they for your car 9/6 probably?

Hope you're happy with your choice. It's also good to see a track minded Prelude owner. The h22a is a great engine and there's nothing untrackable about it other than a few luxurious gizmos weighing it down a bit. :P

preludacris
09-01-2007, 10:23 PM
hehe yeah. teins 9/6, and tanabe 10/6 tho i think tanabe is even more comfy coz of the dampers.

yep not too many lude owners out there modding there cars. kind of a shame but yeah they are a bit heavy. we'll see how i go at winton compared to the other honda's :)

Dylanamus
09-01-2007, 10:27 PM
It's good to see. I've seen modded ludes destroying other modded cars in sponsored events.. in other words all cars involved had limitless budgets pretty much and the lude still won. They're underrated cars. 10/7 will probably be relatively smooth for a trackable setup. 12/8 on my 900kg CRX is pretty damn stiff, but if it weren't my daily, I'd go a fair bit harder.

big tone
24-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Have u considered buddyclubs? Tein ss are pretty soft from what people have said, so if you're tracking stay away from them.
i have a set of tein on my ek, runs great havent done circuit yet but going up and down the mountain here in rocky (pretty agressive) i think they work well,