PDA

View Full Version : Soft Top Repair

b20b
04-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I have just noticed a wear hole starting to show through the soft top of the s2

What product is best used to patch the hole myself:o

AUS2k
04-01-2007, 10:32 PM
had a cigarette burn a nice hole on the top of my first s .
took it to a trimmer , he un stiched and replaced the whole section
all good but that section was darker than the rest for a while

if u do decide to give it a go, i would like to see pics of your repair job
not to many DIYs in the 2000 section.
and every one loves a DIY disaster
good luck

b20b
05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I cant believe no one has tried to fix a hole in there soft top. From what I have read on the s2k site its qui9te common. But they use strange products we dont have in OZ or they have different product names to fix there tops

fto222
07-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Hello,
I am really interested in this as well.
Well personally I don't like the plastic window and would like to replace the whole top with the glass one.
But I can't find any place in Aust that offer this, and not sure if I want to grab these from US since it'll be quite expensive to ship.
Unless some one starts a group buy if enough people want these?

Thank you very much for your help.

b20b
07-01-2007, 03:17 PM
I have got a phone No. from honda for a company they recomend to patch the top. but they are still on holiday.
I am interested in the class top as well...but i am not sure about the straps used to make the glass top fold properly...I need to do some more reserch to find out what the straps look like and where they attach

so i will try and remember to call tomorrow:p and find out if it is possible to get something to glue over the wear mark

I have found some products at a camping shop to patch tent holes but I will have to find out exactly what the inside of the roof is made of so I can get the right glue...

Some say it is vynl some say canvas some pvc...any one know for sure

b20b
14-01-2007, 05:27 AM
well been busy at work had not had time to get to the trim shop

SO

The wear mark was getting bigger quickly ,
I had to do something
It might sound a little primitive but I have used a product by loctite (its like super glue but for presision work) and it only early days but it has seemed to be holding things quit easly in place.

On the out side of the top where you could just see the small slice of about 1 cm i pushed my finger from the insde to open up the slice and put a few small drops of the glue and then let the two edges of the slice come back together by removing my finger from the in side..I should add there was still webbing holding the slice together so it was not gaping to start with ..this might of helped it glue together well????

To deal with the fraying on the inside i used the glue to bond the fraying threads together .The only way I can describe it ...its like when you burn the end of a rop and the rop sticks itself together to stop it fraying ...the glue stuck the threads together.

If this does not work then I will try a patch from the trim shop:p

notorious
14-01-2007, 05:58 PM
i'm also in the same position as b20b.... so if anyone knows a good trim shop in sydney, preferably around the fairfield/liverpool area please post the details! thanks in advance.

MaskedAP1
22-01-2007, 03:50 PM
any update up this?

fto222
22-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Hello,
I'm going towards a new soft top so not from me...
I'm going to the s2ki forume for a group buy I think they might have soon... :)

b20b
22-01-2007, 04:35 PM
glue has worked fine

dont know if it fixes all types of cuts but it is perfect

SXTACY
30-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi Guys,

The standard top is Trilaminate Twill Weave/vinyl (although note that there is some debate about this, but this is what it says on a lot of replacement top threads).

Although a primitive solution, if there is a slight tear in the pvc (the black part, not the clear plastic), you can use a bicycle puncture repair kit, which comes with some rubber patch, applied with some rubber cement (glue).

This would only be useful if the tear has actually gone through the 3 layers of the roof material (outer pvc, middle waterproof membrane and inner lining).

If the tear has only gone through the top later (the pvc bit), then you can try using a bit of superglue, silicon sealant or similar to what b20b has used above. But this is a very temporary fix as stretching in heat and in normal operation will most likely open this back up.

There is a brand called Robbins who do replacement tops for our cars, they have had nothing but good reviews and can be had for around $700 delivered from the US, with the glass instead of the plastic.

Only thing to note about the replacement top is that it requires around 10 hours labour to install, or around $600 give or take.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-R