PDA

View Full Version : im buying some 500dollar polyglass focals yeah sounds like a lot but these i've had b

higgo_69
04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
im interested in buying some focal v2 polyglass speakers (again) , ive had them before and they are awsome, but does anyone else have any comparisons around the 500 range, that is of similar performance?

aka_NSX
04-01-2007, 08:22 PM
im interested in buying some focal v2 polyglass speakers (again) , ive had them before and they are awsome, but does anyone else have any comparisons around the 500 range, that is of similar performance?

i can get u any model and is genuine from Focal Australia free delivery to anywhere in AU, please PM

ocean_blue
04-01-2007, 11:14 PM

Mate I would be seriously looking at the Rockford T162S as they RRP for 799 though you can pick them up for $429.00

They are as good if not better than the focal.... and a nicer looking speaker.... plus they are MADE IN THE USA not CHINA or INDONESIA!

arverson
05-01-2007, 02:53 AM
compare ur focals with these brands.

Boston Acoustics
Mb Quarts
Eton
DLS
Diamond Audio
Morel
Phass
Rainbow

just a few brands that come to mind

vanxpress
05-01-2007, 04:42 AM
try dyna audio

higgo_69
05-01-2007, 07:14 AM
yeah thanks, i might go have a hearing test at an audio place and see what i think is best.

solitz
05-01-2007, 01:20 PM
also concider sound deading with these type of speakers to get the most out of them

Fr3aKi3
05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
try dyna audio

Goodluck trying to get a set of Dyn's brand new for around 500... lol
The new range is out and there's also been a price increase.

Personally i'd stay away from rockfords, they sound way to bright for my liking.
I'd be having a look at all the brand that arverson mentioned.

vanxpress
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
mate if he doesnt find it i will supply him an ex demo dyna audio for that price or focal utopia 6.5 splits ex demo ...lol .betrter than its lying collecting dust.

Fr3aKi3
05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Dyn's for 500?

i'm interested......... lol

civic racer
05-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Mate I would be seriously looking at the Rockford T162S as they RRP for 799 though you can pick them up for $429.00

They are as good if not better than the focal.... and a nicer looking speaker.... plus they are MADE IN THE USA not CHINA or INDONESIA!

Accually most of the higher end focal speakers are hand made in France like my K2P's.

Stick with the focal if you were happy with them when you had them before why change???.

higgo_69
05-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Stick with the focal if you were happy with them when you had them before why change???.

yeah i probably will, focals are great, i wish i could aford some for the house, maybe when i win lotto!:cool:

arverson
05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
i didnt mention dyns cus i dont think u can get em for 500ish, but if u can, GET EM!! definately up there in my fav top 3 splits.

arverson
05-01-2007, 06:47 PM
oh i just read vanxpres'se post properly, id luv to buy ur dyns!! but no funds atm :(

EG30
06-01-2007, 08:34 AM
I have a pair of Dynaudio 240GT speakers in my C class Merc and they are absolutely amazing sounding speakers, smooth, strong mid bass and natural highs; excatly how I like it.

But they are not cheap, and for $500 I would take a look at the Pioneer yellow cone splits.

As much as I would like another pair of Dyns in my EG civic, they are way too $$$ for my daily runaround and would require a decent amp to power them too. I had a pair of 6" yellow cone splits installed in my civic, powered by a new low end Pioneer deck and its sound quality had far far exceeded my expectations. Took a few mths to run in and loosen up in my case.

They retail for $699 or $799 but I got them for $400, so I'm sure you could get a decent discount from one of many Pioneer outlets out there and get them for less than $500. You could always spend the $ you saved on some sound deadening material on your doors.

The silk dome tweeters don't sound as bright as the titanium based Focal counterparts which may or may not be an issue for you. The appearance of the tweeter surrounds is too ghastly for my liking so I painted them grey to match my door skin.

muhhan
06-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I particularly like the Focals as well. It sounds like Usher and 50 Cent are on my dashboard! I don't know if it is true but when I was shopping around the guy at the car audio shop was actually pushing the base model Focals (can't remember what they're called) and he was saying that there isn't much difference between the polyglass and the base model. In his opinion the base model sounded better. Kind of odd as usually sales people try to push the more expensive gear. At any rate I was extremely happy with the base model Focal and the price was decent as well.

Personally, I found the Rockford Fosgate's range to be too top heavy. The double tweeters were hurting my ears. And DLS was way too smooth for me. I appreciated the Focals well arounded sound and balanced reproduction. One odd thing that struck me when I was shopping around was that some places weren't running their demo boards through amps and the difference was phenomenal. I don't think it did justice to the speakers by not running them through an external amplifier. I haven't heard the other brand speakers other people have mentioned so I can't comment on those.

Geekstar
07-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Dls! Dls!

DSNTGR8
08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
soundstream!!

jeffske
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
go check out strathfield car radio, they have the good stuff
*cough*

trism
09-01-2007, 05:17 PM
boston SL60 can be had for that price...

but basically, you just need to go to good shops, and audition them, with your music...

ocean_blue
09-01-2007, 05:21 PM

Goto a set of Nakamichi for $499.00

SPS2-650

Cheers

JaCe
09-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Personally, I found the Rockford Fosgate's range to be too top heavy. The double tweeters were hurting my ears.

I don't think the more expensive models have double tweeters.. it's almost like a gimmick. Not that I bought $500+ speakers before, but I think that's just Rockford's trademark sound.. for normal music it sounds way too exaggerated and shrill, but if you listen to techno music (I think that's the English name for it?) with all the shrill sound effects/etc... then it'll probably sound good to you. I personally went with MBQ.

trism
09-01-2007, 08:01 PM
you mean they are very bright???

mugen88
09-01-2007, 08:03 PM
mate if he doesnt find it i will supply him an ex demo dyna audio for that price or focal utopia 6.5 splits ex demo ...lol .betrter than its lying collecting dust.

What model Dyn's r they?

ocean_blue
09-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I don't think the more expensive models have double tweeters.. it's almost like a gimmick. Not that I bought $500+ speakers before, but I think that's just Rockford's trademark sound.. for normal music it sounds way too exaggerated and shrill, but if you listen to techno music (I think that's the English name for it?) with all the shrill sound effects/etc... then it'll probably sound good to you. I personally went with MBQ.

The T162S dont have double Tweeters --- only the P162S does

As for sound quality -- you obviously are not using sound mat!!!

Geekstar
09-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Jaycar!!!

Vinnie
09-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Jaycar!!!

lol... jaycar seem to be good fro the price but jus dont stack up against higher models :)

on a side note, i was auditioning subs a few days ago and had a listen to a set of dyn's (cant remeber the model but rrp was $1100) and they made my focal 165 v slims sound like boss audio :eek:

EGB18CT
09-01-2007, 09:31 PM
check out the rainbow range some very impressive splits from that company. Also check out caraudioaustralia.com (also teamcaa.com) and ull find endless threads about splits and prolly find some better info than here.

Fr3aKi3
09-01-2007, 09:50 PM
lol... jaycar seem to be good fro the price but jus dont stack up against higher models :)

on a side note, i was auditioning subs a few days ago and had a listen to a set of dyn's (cant remeber the model but rrp was $1100) and they made my focal 165 v slims sound like boss audio :eek:

lol.... that's probably the System 242...
Dyn's are something that i'm saving up for, cheapest set of brand new Dyn's is like 900-1000 i think.

EG30
09-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Goto a set of Nakamichi for $499.00

SPS2-650

Cheers

Great spkrs if you can source them at that price.

Kiwi
11-01-2007, 03:27 PM
OK I'm prepared to get flamed for this, but has anyone looked at Blaupunkts Velocity Comp 6.5's.. only $349. In the recent edition of Hot 4's, the Sound editor compared them to Dyn's, Morel's etc. in both build quality and sound. In his words 'they are the speaker buy of all time!' LOL

I'm thinking of selling my MB Quart References and changing to the Blaupunkt :)

ITRBoI
03-02-2007, 09:18 PM
yeah thanks, i might go have a hearing test at an audio place and see what i think is best.

go for the boston Z6.......really really nice, but it doesn't fit in the 500 that you were going on about so yeah