PDA

View Full Version : CRV electronic rustproofing

OzSir2
04-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi Guys,
Has anyone had their CRV electronically rustproofed and if so, what brand did you get and is it any good?
I am considering only Capacitive Coupler Technology like CouplerTech, ERPS and Megapulse. I plan to do the installation as well.

Alpine
06-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I've got electronic rust protection on my 2001 CRV. Not sure what brand it is but it was from Tint-A-Car, which is where my local Honda dealer sends vehicles to get window tinting, paint protection, rust protection, etc done, if a customer is stupid enough to order these "extras" from the dealer.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4904/elecrustproofsmallbo1.th.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=elecrustproofsmallbo1.jpg)

As for it being any good, well, I really have no reason to complain. I admit I was initally quite skeptical about this electronic rust protection but in the end bit the bullet and did it anyway coz I got a good discounted price.

We have punted our CRV up and down the beach three times at Straddie and Bribie, been thru deep water crossings, etc, and till today there is no visible rust and the paintwork remains in as new condition. So I guess it does work after all!

OzSir2
06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Alpine,
Thanks for posting that reply.Have you got a brand on the electronic rust preventer and do you know an approximate price please? Years ago I tried some electronic thing I bought in the Trading post but I don't think it was very good and it need constant maintenance or else it would start corroding the car instead.The better ones are ,as I said, the Capacitive Coupler types, of which the one I tried, was not.
Is the photo of a coupler plate or the main unit?

Alpine
06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Sorry, I don't have a brand name that I can recall. It's whatever Tint-A-Car is selling if that helps narrow it down.

The picture shows the main unit. There is a coupler connected to the other side of the car which leads back to the main unit.

I have not had to touch this unit since installation. On the main unit there is a green LED which constantly flashes to indicate normal operation. This LED is supposed to turn red if a problem develops. It has never done this and always flashed green.

The price for this unit back in 2002 was $400 supplied and fitted.

dsp26
03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
never heard of this and curious... anyone got any links to a site supplying them or pics of the unit?

thanks in advance.

andylo
14-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi Alpine, I am considering to install on of these as well, as we have the same thing in our Echo. And it seems to work ok.

But I just would like to check with you, is that mean the bottom of you car are free of rust at the moment? I planned to take our Gen2 to beach etc, but this is the car we plan to keep 10 years and we are trying to do at least damage as possible to it.

Alpine
16-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Alpine, I am considering to install on of these as well, as we have the same thing in our Echo. And it seems to work ok.

But I just would like to check with you, is that mean the bottom of you car are free of rust at the moment? I planned to take our Gen2 to beach etc, but this is the car we plan to keep 10 years and we are trying to do at least damage as possible to it.

I have peered underneath our V from time to time and cannot see any visible rust.

Some extra bit of information which you may find of interest: I have spoken to an SES officer who was in charge of their fleet of Landcruisers and he had them all fitted with ERP devices. He swears by them and is convinced they do really work. He said their Landcruisers often have to go offroad and onto beaches for SES work and spend alot of time in such conditions. Not one of their vehicles in the many years they have been in service have developed rust.