PDA

View Full Version : bonnet removal

RIVAL
05-01-2007, 01:59 AM
im gonna clean my whole engine bay and make it look like new. i wanna take the bonnet off cos then i can see inside the engine bay properly, just more easier that way. oh and if anyones got a tips on how to clean the rocker cover that would be great too

thnx :)

newmski
05-01-2007, 02:15 AM
well i presume you wanna know how to remove the bonnet. easy peasy open it up and there or just some bolts on the hinges. probably best if you have another person to hold it.
with regards to cleaning the cover be careful of using degreaser as it can take of or at least fade the paint. If it were me id just repaint with crinkle paint. the cover as it doesnt cost much (diy) and looks very nice

aaronng
05-01-2007, 02:15 AM
If your rocker cover has crinkle paint on it, steam clean. Don't use solvent as it dissolves the paint, leaving behind a smooth finish.

And, take off your windscreen washer lines FIRST.

RIVAL
05-01-2007, 02:46 AM
i have a gli engine does not have paint sohc non vtec so yaaahhh its just dirty not fading or watever. so would degreaser bee fine or maybe some methelated spirits?

newmski
05-01-2007, 02:56 AM
i have a gli engine does not have paint sohc non vtec so yaaahhh its just dirty not fading or watever. so would degreaser bee fine or maybe some methelated spirits?
shoulod be fine to use degreaser. still though be careful around plastic and even sealent on the rocker

aimre
05-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Our bonnets have a second hole u can put the stick in, it makes the bonnet stay open almost vertical

RIVAL
05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
yeah i know i just wanna take bonnet off anyway looks cool driving down the side street

S92
05-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Best to have two person holding the bonnet while your doing the bolts... the thing ways shitloads

aaronng
05-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Best to have two person holding the bonnet while your doing the bolts... the thing ways shitloads

Agreed 110% :thumbsup:

muhhan
05-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Better yet, have 2 people hold the bonnet and 1 other person undo the bolts while you sit back and crack open a cold one! :thumbsup:

Seriously though, it is a good idea to remove the bonnet so you can get around to all sides of the bay properly and easily. One other thing, jack up the car as it'll save you having to constantly bend your back (unless you're really, really short) and you'll be able to get to the underside of parts in the bay easily too!