PDA

View Full Version : stock air box or pod

Toycivic
05-01-2007, 03:10 AM
i have heard many different opinion on this, is there an significant difference if u change the stock air filter system to a pod? i know for a fact that it sounds soo much cooler with a pod (coz ive changed mine). ive also thot about modifying the standard system to induct cold air from outside and also changing the filter itself, alot of ppl say that ther is no real difference in a flat filter or a pod, i know my pod sucks in alot of hot air within the engine bay, also im planning to enclose the pod n run a cold air hose, but wouldnt that be the same as a stock box,

reason why im asking is that all my friends with pods have been defected within the last week, if ther is no real difference then i should change back to a stock system with cold air fed

any opinion will be great

Spunkymonkey
05-01-2007, 08:12 AM
its really up to personal preference. I've got a pod filter in my stock box with piping to it. And yes previously I had a pod set up similar to yours sucking in hot air. sure it sounds great but bogs down.

UBH320
05-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Maybe your friends they have turbo car with both intercooler and cai? I think that makes it illegal when cops find it... :)

aimre
05-01-2007, 09:39 AM
K&n apollo,

Enclosed pod with CAI piping, about $230

http://www.racimex.de/images/produkte/auto/kn/apollo/kit_bild.jpg

egSi
05-01-2007, 09:40 AM
imo in terms of effectiveness a modified stock box hi flow oem replacement filte element can perform as well as if not better than most 'pod setups'

but seriously at the end of the day we are only talking a handful of hp either way ;)

marabaan
05-01-2007, 01:37 PM
K&n apollo,

Enclosed pod with CAI piping, about $230

http://www.racimex.de/images/produkte/auto/kn/apollo/kit_bild.jpg

has anyone used this type of CAI

Toycivic
05-01-2007, 01:46 PM
so would it be better to use a pod in a stock box, does ne1 know how to modify the stock box to house a pod?

or should i make up a box for the pod?

thx 4 the replies

Joeyboy
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
hmmm...dunno about modifying the stock box (i personally dont have any experience in this), however i chose to install K&N panel filter using the stock box and got piping (from bunnings) underneath to suck the air from outside and works like a treat! so at least my filter is still covered from all the engine heat and can benefit from the external air.

Zilli
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
ive got an injen CAI, costs a bit of cash, but guaranteed cold air being suck in, beautifully built, with all the parts you need, uses stock holes, with rubber mounts to reduce vibration...very nice peice,and sounds lovely too

but the cops could probably still defect... oh well

hit up yonas from jdmyard in the trader section

marabaan
05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
in my old car (n15 pulsar)
i got some 3inch pvc pipe and made a bigger hole in the stock air box and used a K&N flat air filter..
don’t know if it made a difference but it sounded nicer..

but i think it would be the same as getting a K&N apollo system....

and if i was to do it all over again..
i wouldn’t coz its prob be easier to buy one.

and if ur thinking about doing some mods to ur stock air box... dont bother..

gets a proper CAI
i know mugen makes a good one have a look into em..

aimre
05-01-2007, 03:47 PM
has anyone used this type of CAI

I will be, what can the cops do?

Like,

1) Its full encloed, thus cant be defected

2) it sucks cold air in

3) comes with a K&n filter

also i found it for $195

Toycivic
05-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I will be, what can the cops do?

Like,

1) Its full encloed, thus cant be defected

2) it sucks cold air in

3) comes with a K&n filter

also i found it for $195

can this be ordered in at any autoshop ie autobarn,

mrwillz
05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
im stil rockn stock box
summer man!

egSi
05-01-2007, 11:22 PM
im stil rockn stock box
summer man!

^^ ****in good :thumbsup:

people knock the stock airbox? jeez :thumbdwn:

aimre
05-01-2007, 11:45 PM
can this be ordered in at any autoshop ie autobarn,

modmycar.com.au has it

just google K&n apollo, then click return only australian sites. first few links are stores

Hullabaloo
06-01-2007, 07:43 AM
I've wondered this as well. If the benefit of a SRI (over CAI) is throttle response, then surely using enclosed pod near engine (pod in stock airbox) and having a cold feed would be better than a CAI? or is this not better because you get heat soak through the box from the engine bay?

marabaan
06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I've wondered this as well. If the benefit of a SRI (over CAI) is throttle response, then surely using enclosed pod near engine (pod in stock airbox) and having a cold feed would be better than a CAI? or is this not better because you get heat soak through the box from the engine bay?

i think you would get heat soak depending on the type of material the box is made from.

does anyone know what type of material the box is made from..
coz i wanna get the k&n apollo

and do u think you would loose the nice grunty vtec noise if u use the apollo box.

marabaan
06-01-2007, 02:20 PM
by the way just called up auto barn and they said the K&N apollo is $249 but has to be ordered in..

Encor3
06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
imo in terms of effectiveness a modified stock box hi flow oem replacement filte element can perform as well as if not better than most 'pod setups'

but seriously at the end of the day we are only talking a handful of hp either way ;)

I got my panel filter from trav a while ago and about 2 weeks ago removed stock airbox and made custom piping to the stock airbox.

I've never owned a pod but i get a nice deep sound wen i WOT, and power has increased throughout the rev range.

I'd go Panel and custom piping, you cant go wrong. and cops cant defect you ;)

higgo_69
06-01-2007, 11:54 PM
i put a k&n filter on my prellude today, with standard piping, it sounds awsome, but i think that it didnt do much for power, just a little, im thinkin of going for a ,,,,secret weapon R intake which i have read that on a SOHC civic giving 8hp at the wheels becase of its design/ www.weapon-r.com, there about 400aus delivered off ebay

n4903676
27-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Guys,

Weapon R is approaching us to be their master dealer in OZ, do you think their products is good enough?

Any comments are welcome.

aimre
27-02-2007, 08:19 PM
by the way just called up auto barn and they said the K&N apollo is $249 but has to be ordered in..

www.modyourcar.com mate its aussie

votek
27-02-2007, 10:40 PM
does anyone know where to get a 3A Racing pod.. its the only pod i think that fits in the stock box. im in melb ( east side )