PDA

View Full Version : The Classic Window Rattle

corn_flakes
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
now i'm sure most of you here have this rattle...seems like most people do...

this faint rattle, coming from the front windows....i myself in particular have it on my front passenger side window...

what i want to know is what is causing this damn rattle?????

WHY does it only rattle when the window is ALL the way up....why does it stop when we put the window down a few millimetres???

has anyone removed their door trim to try to work out why or wat causes this? when i have some free time in a few weeks, i might take off my door trim and try to fix this damn friggin problem....

:confused:

kenbo
05-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Are you sure its coming from the windows? Mine's a classic glovebox rattle problem. I've tried almost everything ;
1. Replace Glovebox
2. Retape all wiring behind the glovebox
3. Tightening all the moving joints
Still rattling away on all coarse roads, it drives me mad as If I'm taking a client in a car with the radio/CD player off, you can hear it and its annoying. Any suggestions? I know this has been talked about b4.

Regards

Kenbo

corn_flakes
05-01-2007, 09:26 PM
i'm sure it's the window...because when i put the window down like 2mm, it stops...

i've heard of people using dynamat to sound deaden their doors...does this get rid of the rattle? or just minimise other noise?

yfin
05-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Are you sure its coming from the windows? Mine's a classic glovebox rattle problem. I've tried almost everything ;
1. Replace Glovebox
2. Retape all wiring behind the glovebox
3. Tightening all the moving joints
Still rattling away on all coarse roads, it drives me mad as If I'm taking a client in a car with the radio/CD player off, you can hear it and its annoying. Any suggestions? I know this has been talked about b4.

Regards

Kenbo

If you have replaced the glovebox and it didn't solve it - it could be the windscreen cowl rattle. Does it sound like a crack over rough roads?

Pumped
07-01-2007, 02:34 PM
i'm sure it's the window...because when i put the window down like 2mm, it stops...

i've heard of people using dynamat to sound deaden their doors...does this get rid of the rattle? or just minimise other noise?

I had a rattle that sounds very similar to yours and after adding dynamat the rattles gone!
not exactly sure where the rattle was coming from but its certainly non existant now

09-01-2007, 07:55 AM
sorry for the noobness of this question,

but whats dynamat and how is it applied?

BiLL|z0r
09-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Dynamat is a sound deadner usually used for car audio applications to keep the rattles away when the the car is doofing and gives better quality audio inside the car.

EuroDude
09-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Dynamat is basically a square cuttable metallic+compound mat that you stick on to car panels

http://www.b-quiet.com/images/dynamat.gif

U can also get cheaper "Brown Bread" mats which is virtually the same stuff. Got mine from Jaycar or StratfieldCarRadios

I cant see how deadening the door panels would solve the window rattle though. Sems like the rattle is coming from another metallic part in the door or roof area somewhere.

tony1234
09-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Dynamat is a sound deadner usually used for car audio applications to keep the rattles away when the the car is doofing and gives better quality audio inside the car.
My front doors have dynamat installed and i agree with BiLLz0r its good stuff.:thumbsup:

09-01-2007, 09:34 AM
thanks for the details guys,

much appreciated

corn_flakes
09-01-2007, 01:35 PM
I cant see how deadening the door panels would solve the window rattle though. Sems like the rattle is coming from another metallic part in the door or roof area somewhere.

that's what i thought...

my rattle sounds like it's coming from a loose bolt or screw or somethin in the door...

Pumped
09-01-2007, 01:37 PM
thats what mine sounded like to, may be caused due to some part of the door trim being fitted right or a loose screw which has fallen out when i removed the trim!

Either way it definately seems to be gone after removing and replacing the trim, might be worth a shot for you guys to have a look inside, see if anythings loose

09-01-2007, 02:27 PM
my car is 2 weeks old, and i only notice a slight noise over certain size bumps, its wierd i cant replicate it when i want, if it gets worst i'll get the dealer to look over it. i just wanted to know what dynamat was, has any one with the problem seen the dealer about it??

corn_flakes
09-01-2007, 03:39 PM
thats what mine sounded like to, may be caused due to some part of the door trim being fitted right or a loose screw which has fallen out when i removed the trim!

Either way it definately seems to be gone after removing and replacing the trim, might be worth a shot for you guys to have a look inside, see if anythings loose

i just hate taking door trims off...

i hate how cars have clips...and plastic...both of which love to break so easily...:(

EuroDude
09-01-2007, 05:37 PM
^ yep ive broken a few plastic clips here and there, and damn they are hard to remove sometimes lol
Maybe Honda can sell us a clip pack or something.

corn_flakes
10-01-2007, 12:56 AM
i must say, the biggest pain in the arse is taking the side skirts off...

my god so many clips!

EuroDude
10-01-2007, 08:39 AM
i must say, the biggest pain in the arse is taking the side skirts off...

my god so many clips!

I found the side skirts to be easy actually. Maybe u didnt do it the easy way by sliding the skirt sideways to remove it.

The hardest clips imo are the ones that hold the boot lining fabric in place, broke/snapped two of the bastards lol

Pumped
10-01-2007, 08:50 AM
lol yea the boot ones are a bitch! the surrounds of them snap so easily too!!

corn_flakes
10-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I found the side skirts to be easy actually. Maybe u didnt do it the easy way by sliding the skirt sideways to remove it.

The hardest clips imo are the ones that hold the boot lining fabric in place, broke/snapped two of the bastards lol

i did pull it sideways to remove it...i think it was the part of putting it back in....

couldn't really slide it back on...it'd get jammed with about 1-2cm left to slide...

so i had to remove the clips from the car...put it onto the skirt first....and then line it up and push it into place...

Kiwi
11-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I have the same problem with my front windows and by just lowering the windows even 1mm.. it stops it. Watch the window seal closely next time and as the window is closed tightly you can see the rubber seal compressing. To me its as if the windows close soo tightly that they build up pressure and can rattle easily. Lowering the window a fraction seems to release the pressure and the rattles go away. LOL Has Honda built the doors/windows too well ?? :D

EuroDude
11-01-2007, 02:11 PM
i did pull it sideways to remove it...i think it was the part of putting it back in....

couldn't really slide it back on...it'd get jammed with about 1-2cm left to slide...

so i had to remove the clips from the car...put it onto the skirt first....and then line it up and push it into place...

There is a seperate black plastic thing that sits at the end of the side skirt. U need to remove that first then slide it ;)

Butso
18-01-2007, 11:01 PM
if you take it to the dealers the moron of a mechanic will say he can't hear it and thrash ur car. waste of time unless u sit there and drive with the dude.

tron07
19-01-2007, 08:27 AM
My passenger door windows starts to rattle now.... 2mth old car... glove box does indeed rattles once a while. I am thinking of puting some sponge tape on the part where the glovebox contact to the dash to stop the rattles. The door and windows, thinking of opening up the door panel and dynamat it.

Its driving me nuts.

19-01-2007, 08:34 AM
if you take it to the dealers the moron of a mechanic will say he can't hear it and thrash ur car. waste of time unless u sit there and drive with the dude.

i wouldnt let a mechanic drive by car without me in it, but saying that they probably thrash it when the test drive it after they service it anyway.

if mine gets worse i will take it back, i've taken or the loose things out of my glove box, so i will see it i can hear the rattle again.

boleh
19-01-2007, 09:14 AM
now i'm sure most of you here have this rattle...seems like most people do...

this faint rattle, coming from the front windows....i myself in particular have it on my front passenger side window...

what i want to know is what is causing this damn rattle?????

WHY does it only rattle when the window is ALL the way up....why does it stop when we put the window down a few millimetres???

has anyone removed their door trim to try to work out why or wat causes this? when i have some free time in a few weeks, i might take off my door trim and try to fix this damn friggin problem....

:confused:

Do you have your windows tinted?? I'm just thinking if someone did a bad job during the tinting process that requires removing the door panels and not fitting it back properly.. that could cause ratttling

tony1234
19-01-2007, 09:27 AM
My car is 7mth old,no rattles at all!BUT,ft doors had dynamat installed when i had speakers amps etc.installed from new.I also have tint.There seems to be a pattern here!I think dynamat in ft.doors=no rattles from window.:confused:

shailesh
19-01-2007, 11:00 AM
My euro (2 months old) has a slight "rattle" noise on the front two door windows. The car is stock (I dont have any tinting as yet).
Dont know if I would classify mine as a rattle but it has a rattle like behaviour but at a lower volume.

CIGXM
19-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I have the same rattle in both front windows. If I drop them a bit, it stops. However, if I open and then immediately close the window again, the rattle stops for a while as well. Anyone else got that?

Euro1011
19-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah i've got the same rattling sound ever since I got the tinting done. At first i thought it could be the door panels but maybe not as I had splits installed later (no dynamat) and the rattling is still there. Maybe the panel was not clipped back again properly or it's a window problem some of you are having. Maybe I should try to get some dynamat for the doors.
The rattling is very annoying especially with other people in the car. It makes the Euro sound like my old ferret (Corolla).

EuroDude
19-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I have the same rattle in both front windows. If I drop them a bit, it stops. However, if I open and then immediately close the window again, the rattle stops for a while as well. Anyone else got that?

Yep thats exactly what happens.
Honda should really look into it and release a fix.

Here's an interesting quote from TSXClub:

I've had the driver side door panel rattling on my 05 TSX for a long time and was never able to find a permanent fix until today. Prior to today, I've been leaving the window just a tad down as a quick fix which someone posted on this forum before. However, I found the root of the problem today. It turned out that some parts of the door was screwed in too tight, causing the metal inside the car to resonate with road or audio system vibrations. To fix the problem, I opened up the driver door interior panel and loosened (just a little) the hexagonal screw located about 1/3 way from the bottom and near the end of the driverside door. To my surprise, the rattling is gone permanently, even with the windows all the way up.
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13639

snajper
19-01-2007, 07:37 PM
My car is 7 weeks old and it had front windows rattling and noise from the front right tyre. I have taken it back to honda and they can see anything wrong with . So i will just put up with it.

aaronng
19-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I plan to dynamat my front doors one day.

corn_flakes
22-01-2007, 04:47 PM
i was driving an 06/07 civic today...heard the same gay rattle...window down a bit gets rid of it too...

GAYNESS

unity
27-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Just wondering if anyone in Melbourne has had their window rattle problem permanently fixed by the dealer? My dealer has had 3 attempts now and it is worse than before. It's time to try another dealer.

chikaboom
27-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi guys. As my accord euro is just weeks old, I didn't expect to have rattles.
But, it did and I found out where the rattle was coming from.
At first, I thought it was the front passenger window, but it wasn't in my case.
The door trim was completely pulled off for window tinting at the dealership.
When they put it back, they didn't do a good job and some hooks in the door trim were broken and they didn't tell me.
After driving me car for a 1 week, the tweeter side of the front passenger door trim was coming off.
Check your door trim as it may be the problem, at least in my case it was.

MiSloVic
29-09-2008, 05:24 PM
my pax side front window rattles only when it is half way opened. will be getting the dealer to look into it in the next service.

otherwise, the dash squeaks whenever i turn the steering wheel. a bit irritating, but i've gotten used to it.

EuroDude
29-09-2008, 09:00 PM
There is a fix to solve the window rattle.

Remove the plastic holder that hold the four power window buttons, and apply some electrical tape around the edge of the holder.

The problem is that the holder vibrates within the arm rest when the window is completely closed.

http://media.automotive.com/evox/stilllib/acura/tsx/2008/4sa/40.jpg

DR HONDA
30-09-2008, 08:48 AM
To permanetly fix this common issue with window rattles on accord euros when closed is to open your doors get a good quality silicone spray and spray the door rubbers. Then with a clean cloth towel massage and wipe off excess spray from the rubber as if you where moisturising your hands. 100% fix rate. Good luck. Same goes with CM accords.

Dr :honda:

tony1234
30-09-2008, 09:17 AM
To permanetly fix this common issue with window rattles on accord euros when closed is to open your doors get a good quality silicone spray and spray the door rubbers. Then with a clean cloth towel massage and wipe off excess spray from the rubber as if you where moisturising your hands. 100% fix rate. Good luck. Same goes with CM accords.

Dr :honda:
Thanks for the tip Phill.I'll try it and report back.

unity
30-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi guys. As my accord euro is just weeks old, I didn't expect to have rattles.
But, it did and I found out where the rattle was coming from.
At first, I thought it was the front passenger window, but it wasn't in my case.
The door trim was completely pulled off for window tinting at the dealership.
When they put it back, they didn't do a good job and some hooks in the door trim were broken and they didn't tell me.
After driving me car for a 1 week, the tweeter side of the front passenger door trim was coming off.
Check your door trim as it may be the problem, at least in my case it was.

I think this time it is my door trim. The rattle is a different type of rattle now. When I gently press on the window trim it makes a clicking type sound. It is possibly a broken or loose clip.

unity
14-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Went to my dealer to have the window rattle looked at again. The foreman took my car for a run on super smooth residential back streets (50km/hr) around the dealership. Surprise surprise no rattle was heard. I didn't even waste my time trying to argue the point. I thought this was the most pathetic attempt to duplicate my window rattle problem. It's now three stikes and out for this particular dealer.

MiSloVic
14-10-2008, 10:59 PM
let me guess ... Does that dealer happen to deal with the other 2 'h' brands as well? Had some unpleasant encounters with that one as well.

unity
15-10-2008, 12:30 AM
That's the one. Have you found a better alternative? You can PM me if you like. I sit there amazed by the number of young kids (young men) working there. They could not possibly have much experience or knowledge up their sleeves. They are all probably computer geniuses but wouldn't have developed manual diagnosis skills. I reckon they just hook up the computer and if it doesn't show any codes then the car must be fine. However, a car can have problems that the computer can't pick up. It's just like going to the Dr. The Dr can't diagnose every problem using a test or scan. Sometimes you just have to rely on a good eye or ear and a wealth of knowledge and experience.

unity
23-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi guys just want to let you know that my window rattle has singificantly improved since a had an alignment done on my car today. My front tyres were a bit out and now there is no rattle on roads that I could previously hear the rattle. There is still one road that I can hear the rattle but it is a very very rough road. So I am happy with that outcome.

drated
07-11-2008, 09:55 AM
The funny thing is with my window i have that rattle whether the window is up or down . So do you believe there is a bolt too tight or too lose within the door or holding the window ?