PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems?

Breezy
06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey ppl, i've noticed that when i apply the brakes, i can hear like a clunk-metal sort of sound on the front brakes, it doesnt happen all the time though. It happens normaly when i step on the brake padel quickly. What could the problem be?

Slow96GSR
06-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Warped rotor, loose caliper, unrelated to brake system problem, or 100 other things. Check the bolts on and around the caliper. I had the same sound from a loose caliper but also from a improperly machined rotor from my brake manufacture. I use aftermarket brakes so my issues are a little different from yours. Just check for wear and tear that shouldn't be there also clean them with cleaner and make sure the bolts are tight.

EuroDude
06-01-2007, 06:11 PM
My Civic had the same problem, it turned out that the new brake pads notches were a tiny bit too small for the pad housing, so they were shifting sideways when braking, causing a clunk sound.

I think they were bendix pads from memory, the clunk went away when I replaced them with OEM honda pads.

bennjamin
06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
IMO its the outer shims...not enough lube so they stick and "clunk" when you hit the pads (like in reverse or quickly jab it)

Or as said , pad could be worn down and piston has a small gap which makes the noise when jabbing the brakes

Breezy
07-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Will i run into major problems later down the track, if i leave it as it is?

bennjamin
07-01-2007, 11:55 AM
possibly. Because you dont know 100% what the problem is :)

Something might fall off , or fail etc so get it CHECKED OUT !

Nervegas
07-01-2007, 01:18 PM
1 other thing you might want to try, go thru a hard corner in lower gear with a bit of speed with no brakes, see if it clunks then as well. i found my car doing that some 12 months ago. Turned out to be the CV joints needed replacing.

xtc.thai
07-01-2007, 09:44 PM
i think its the pads being a tab bit small where it holds in the pad housing. i remember servicing a car that had this problem

EuroDude
08-01-2007, 05:39 PM
imo just reseat the pads, make sure they fit snug, and apply antisqueal compound to the metal<->metal parts and see how that goes.

If it still happens, get a mech to check it out or get some genuine honda pads