PDA

View Full Version : DIY: SRS ECU Reset y0!

SiReal
06-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

SRS Light always on? Could be attributed to the following:

1. Disconnection of SRS Circuit then ignition on
2. SRS bits n pieces are focked - you're focked $$

Most likely its no.1. I.e. do an audio AMP install, take your SRS enabled front seats out, disconnect SRS connector under the seat, turn the ignition on BEFORE reconnecting the SRS connector. Thats what I did :o

Performing a standard ECU reset WILL NOT get rid of the SRS Light, hence SRS ECU Reset is needed.

This was performed on a 1998 - 2002 CG/CK Accord. I've heard it works on other Hondas as well. But not 100% certain.

Aim: To reset the SRS ECU
Required: Loose scrap wire to short the ECU
Steps:

1. Find the SRS connector under your dash. In the case of the CG/CK Accord (and probably for most other Hondas), its yellow with green wires. Look for the small yellow one (~1.5cm x 1cm).

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/5402/miniimg5779smallsp6.jpg

2. Get two pieces of scrap sexeh wires and strip all ends. Insert into connector as such
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6618/miniimg5782smalluf5.jpg

3. Hold wires together and turn the ignition on to 2 clicks (the one before the engine turns on)
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/4030/miniimg5784smallbm8.jpg

At this point, the SRS light will come on as standard
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9890/miniimg5786smallld3.jpg

4. The SRS light will then turn off - KAZAMM!:
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9171/miniimg5787smallox2.jpg

Take wires apart as such (SCHWING!):
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/4697/miniimg5785smallli8.jpg

5. The SRS light will come on AGAIN. Connect wires again.
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9890/miniimg5786smallld3.jpg

KAPOW!
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/4030/miniimg5784smallbm8.jpg

6. The SRS light will go off AGAIN. Disconnect wires.
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9171/miniimg5787smallox2.jpg

BAM!
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/4697/miniimg5785smallli8.jpg

7. AT this point, the SRS light should flash twice - signalling completion of this SRS ECU Reset ;)

8. You can plug the connector back in* and turn the ignition off.

Other comments
This procedure took less than 10 seconds, cost me nothing and would normally cost $$ at a Honda dealer to do an initial reading then action.

*I was told by a Honda mechanic that this plug itself leads to nothing. I have kept it hanging loose - all good since then.

Reason for this DIY: Hasn't been properly documented yet and I had this problem. Good to have in DIY section for ppl who need this (like me)

Hope that helps boys and girls

Jeff aka SiReal

P.S. If your SRS light comes on again, ensure all SRS component connectors are 'connected', then do this again. If it comes on again after that, go straight to your Honda dealer. It could mean something in the system is focked = $$$$$ :( SAFETY FIRST!!

egSi
11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
nice work Jeff :thumbsup:

u do the diys other ppl wont :)

EK4R
11-01-2007, 09:39 PM
yea i did this last week. worked a charm. cant believe honda charges $200 to do this at a dealer....

SiReal
11-01-2007, 09:45 PM
exactly! its the simplest procedure but it wasnt even documented properly. for the noob it would seem confusing. but its not really.

ECU-MAN
16-01-2007, 08:18 AM
nice work.

this one will come handy.

VTi_b0i
16-01-2007, 08:34 AM
awsome write-up man! now ill go see if it works on my mates EM and let ya know hah...not sure if it will work cause the light stays on ever since his engine conversion

SiReal
16-01-2007, 08:36 AM
thanks for the comments. do try it. if hes connected all the srs components like stock again, then i dont see why it shouldnt. its always worth a try before spending a couple of hundred at a honda dealer.

Zdster
16-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Sexy fingers Jeff :p. Good idea for a write up :thumbsup:.

Rasputin
11-02-2007, 09:10 PM
could you not also just use a paperclip to complete the circuit, instead of stripping wires etc?

ECU-MAN
11-02-2007, 09:23 PM
yes you could

just make sure it doesnt touch anyting,

VTi_b0i
14-02-2007, 05:18 PM
thanks for the comments. do try it. if hes connected all the srs components like stock again, then i dont see why it shouldnt. its always worth a try before spending a couple of hundred at a honda dealer.

lol stoopid me, it wasnt the Airbag light, it was the engine light that stays on permanantly lol

22-02-2007, 10:20 AM
blardy legend! been waiting for this one for ages..

has anyone had the problem over and over again?.. wat did they do?

SiReal
23-02-2007, 03:15 PM
it may mean you've got a break in the SRS circuitry. might have to get a pro to look into that one.

07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
yea i did this last week. worked a charm. cant believe honda charges $200 to do this at a dealer....

i can only found a few yellow connectors with light purple wires...what colour are the wires with the SRS connector in EK?
and is it behind the dash or just under the steering wheel?

drated
31-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I have tried this on my car exactly the way you guys have mentioned it but it still wont go away

and also at the same time my horn doesnt work

egpowargh
30-11-2008, 04:26 PM
is anything actually really affected with the light staying on? i dont mind it too much or anything just wondering if it will cause any problems with it staying on...

anywho since im at work atm, i decided to go do it during my lunch break...my cars street parked while i had my head under the dash some vigilante neighbourhood people thought i was jacking someones car...i now have grazed legs cause the dude dragged me out of the car without a single word..wasnt too happy but the guy offered me a vb so all is forgiven epic work day

vinnY
30-11-2008, 10:48 PM
well if theres a problem with a safety feature it should be addressed asap
would you want the airbag deploying randomly or not deploying at all in an accident?

fingers cross neither of them happen but please have it addressed asap for your own safety

egpowargh
01-12-2008, 12:15 AM
lol tried to address during my lunch break umm..yeah phailed..
had at look at it when i got home i think i found it but everything is so neatly packed and hard to get to it was the only yellow plug so im assuming that was it

DEMON83
01-12-2008, 06:12 AM
go to Honda service centre and pay $35 and its take about 10min and NO RISK to car electrics...! I did and totally worth it!

egpowargh
01-12-2008, 02:42 PM
whoa so cheap? someone was saying before like $200 thats why everyones doing this diy thing

iainnash
15-02-2009, 03:10 AM
This is fantastic. I didn't think it was going to work - I wasn't even sure that I had the right connector! I tried it with wire but found it tricky to maintain a good connection - using a paperclip to short the terminals worked a treat.
Make sure you wait for the SRS light to blink twice or it won't work.
My car's an old '96 Civic V-Tec E and I chose the connector that looked like it didn't connect to anything important (used the comment at the bottom of the instructions to guide me) - FANTASTIC, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

iainnash
15-02-2009, 03:15 AM
I have tried this on my car exactly the way you guys have mentioned it but it still wont go away

and also at the same time my horn doesnt work

If your horn doesn't work either, it suggests there's a problem with your clock spring which connects the wires for the horn and the wires for the airbag to the wiring looms of the car. This procedure will only work as a reset - if there is actually a problem with the wiring of the airbag, the fault will recurr - and yoiur light will come back on. :(

Best advice to you is to go to a breakers yard and get a "new" clock spring - once you've fitted it, use this procedure to reset the SRS light. :D

Good luck!

iainnash
15-02-2009, 03:19 AM
i can only found a few yellow connectors with light purple wires...what colour are the wires with the SRS connector in EK?
and is it behind the dash or just under the steering wheel?

Look for a yellow connector that doesn't look like it actually does anything more than secure the end of the wire to stop it flapping around - my wires were orange and red I think & it took me a while to work out which wire I needed.

The connector should come loose fairly easily by pressing the little release catch on the side. It's one of the two smaller yellow connectors and should be relatively accessible. :)

Hooman
21-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Nice write up, but Honda does not charge $200 to do this.......try $33.

iainnash
21-02-2009, 03:52 AM
$200 = money & time
$35 = money & time
$33 = money & time
Going to a Honda dealership involves ringing up to book, turning up, waiting, letting them diagnose the fault and probably look for half a million other things to charge for or get you to consider forking out for at the same time and then giving you the jkeys back potentially an hour later.
This = 10 mins if done right first time and free! :-D
That's why everyone's doing it - or at least, that's why I did it.

ECU-MAN
21-02-2009, 12:57 PM
$200 = money & time
$35 = money & time
$33 = money & time
Going to a Honda dealership involves ringing up to book, turning up, waiting, letting them diagnose the fault and probably look for half a million other things to charge for or get you to consider forking out for at the same time and then giving you the jkeys back potentially an hour later.
This = 10 mins if done right first time and free! :-D
That's why everyone's doing it - or at least, that's why I did it.

you need to ask your self why does the srs ecu need to be reset.

you can reset the ecu but that only fixes the symptom. not the problem

dcnl
21-02-2009, 10:55 PM
hey which srs yellow connector is it? the one that plugs behind your cluster? or the one that plugs into the steering wheel where the airbag is?

iainnash
22-02-2009, 12:05 AM
you need to ask your self why does the srs ecu need to be reset.

you can reset the ecu but that only fixes the symptom. not the problem

My light came on when the battery went flat. It didn't go off after I fitted a new battery so I'm fairly confident with mine that it's not an SRS Unit fault but just an electrical glitch that is now cleared. But thanks for the advice - good advice to other users. :angel:

iainnash
22-02-2009, 12:40 AM
hey which srs yellow connector is it? the one that plugs behind your cluster? or the one that plugs into the steering wheel where the airbag is?

I tried to upload/attach/insert a photo of my fusebox but failed miserably and after 10 attempts with resaving the file smaller, bigger & in different formats, I've given up.

There are 3 yellow connectors on mine. The big one by the steering column actually connects two wires together so is not correct. There's a middle-sized one that plugs into the fuse-box (and I think the SRS unit) which is also incorrect. It's the smallest connector that simply plugs into a retaining point that you need to carry out this operation. I hope this helps...

dcnl
22-02-2009, 09:00 PM
is it the one that connects to the cluster though?

ECU-MAN
23-02-2009, 08:52 AM
My light came on when the battery went flat. It didn't go off after I fitted a new battery so I'm fairly confident with mine that it's not an SRS Unit fault but just an electrical glitch that is now cleared. But thanks for the advice - good advice to other users. :angel:

that one is an easy one reset the ECU and its gone for good.

longers
21-04-2009, 12:48 AM
does anyone know if this would work for a side airbag light?

nikiol22
24-01-2010, 09:52 AM
i tried this method but my srs light doesnt go off - it still stays on.

im also confused with 3 yellow plug under the dash. I also tried on the 'smallest' yellow plug - still .. the srs light still stays on. Why is that?

tru3_k177
04-02-2010, 04:56 PM
any1 know where i can find it in the 95 accord?
spent about 20 mins looking for it but couldnt find it... unless its different colour as what people said in their car...

tru3_k177
05-02-2010, 10:51 PM
is there any1 who still maintain this topic???

misteR_bilzz
01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
any1 know where i can find it in the 95 accord?
spent about 20 mins looking for it but couldnt find it... unless its different colour as what people said in their car...

SRS lines are always yellow, try looking near your fuses under the drivers side.

Maybe the below topic might help a bit?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?69095-Reseting-your-SRS-light.&highlight=srs

butter
01-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I know where it is. I'll try to upload some photos by the end of the week. Is the problem still there considering you posted it 5 months ago tru3_k177.

Locate your fuse box on the right hand side of your accelerator pedal. The yellow plug should be stuck onto the wall inside the wiring a bit higher from the fuse box, but closer to the chair. Its a bit hard to describe going off the top of my head. So i'll do the best i can to post photos for you Monday night.

Let me know if you still want the photos.

*added*
Ahh shit! Sorry tru3_k177, i just went to my car to snap up the photos. I went to my boot to get my D-slr , took it out of its carry bag only to find it soaking wet. My boot has a leak and with melbournes rain lately, it must have soaked up my camera .. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU!!

I'll get the pics another time!

whitecomet07
24-11-2010, 11:01 AM
sorry to jack the thread. but when i had the same problem with my ek9 SRS warning light, i took it to Honda dealer and it costed me $75 for the reset and they also tuned and reset a few ecu settings for me too. i think its worth the money. but its a good diy for the advance users. :D

chauster
17-12-2010, 06:41 PM
how does this work for EGs? As the SRS ecu is in the airbag

misteR_bilzz
19-12-2010, 09:03 PM
your jumping the plug that goes back to the fuse box not the ecu.

ThEbLaCk
13-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi, I followed this procedure right through but the SRS light is still on. May I ask what else I can do before going to dealer please?

misteR_bilzz
13-02-2011, 08:57 PM
It took ages for me to get mine to reset, just keep at it dude.

ECU-MAN
15-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Hi, I followed this procedure right through but the SRS light is still on. May I ask what else I can do before going to dealer please?

what sort of car do you have

This DIY is not for all SRS Systems

integragsi96
15-02-2011, 08:52 AM
im gonna try it on my dc4 today/tonight and ill post wether it works or not

integragsi96
16-02-2011, 09:49 AM
couldnt find my srs short connector in my 96 gsi

leok
12-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Attempted this the other day on my EK4. I removed the trim from under my steering wheel, only to find the connector is pretty hard to get to as there is a whole bunch of wiring in front of it which I can't move out of the way. Hence nothing was done. Has anyone tried this yet in their EK?

ECU-MAN
12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
EK4 has the yellow SCS that plugs into the uder dash fues box

you should not be messing around with the connector in the steering wheel.

leok
12-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi ECU-MAN

The trim i was referring to was the under dash trim, not the steering wheel and yes i'm referring to the yellow connector on the fuse box, but it is really hard to get to in the EK4 as there is a whole bunch of wires tied up and in the way. I'll give it another try this weekend. At the moment i'm using a bosskit with airbag bypass and a nardi steering wheel. What would've caused the the SRS light to come on? When I installed the steering wheel, light never came on till like a few months later.

EK4 has the yellow SCS that plugs into the uder dash fues box

you should not be messing around with the connector in the steering wheel.

ECU-MAN
13-07-2011, 09:15 AM
its possible that is the cause

with out diagnosing the problem, it could be anything

integraJDM
11-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Great DIY. Honestly say this is the best out there.

Changed to an ITR steering wheel today and I did the exact same thing - forgot to plug in the SRS connector and switched car on (-.-)

I can confirm that this works with 1996 Integra GSI (unsure of other years, but i assume it would).

For those of you who are unsure of which connector to jump, here's a pic:
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee508/bunthaung/IMG_0615.jpg
-two grey wires (most cases i think there's only 2 wires connecting)

I found it hard to stick the speaker wires to the connector so i used paper clips like so:
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee508/bunthaung/IMG_0614.jpg

Hope this helps others!
Happy resetting :)