PDA

View Full Version : 95 vti gearbox problems

fxr
07-01-2007, 02:23 AM
hey guys, just wondering if you honda pro's could give me some advice on what to do about my gearbox.

i've had a search through the forums and found some helpful advice that suggests my problem is probly my synchro's but i couldn't find much info on what options there are to fix such a thing..

My car makes a weird sort of... rattling wurring noise when in neutral with the clutch out.... clutch in and it goes away... apparently that could be a bearing of some form?

Besides that, when driving along in mainly the first 4 gears (cant notice it in 5th anyway) the gearbox makes a loud noise... its like... hmm.. a rattle? i guess it sort of sounds like a metal plate rattling against another metal plate... damn thats hard to describe... Either way, my mechanic told me if it gets any louder i gotta stop driving it, and to bring the car in asap (after new year break) so he could have a better look at it... but i'm impatient and wanna know now :P

So ughhh... what are my options?

New gearbox? if so which??! i'm so confused
Gearbox recondition? how much does that cost generally?
stop worrying because its not a major problem?

not sure if it helps but i've got a D16Y1, and i just had the clutch replaced (last week) with an Exedy so its not that >.> i hope lol

any help is greatly appreciated

SLOWEGG
07-01-2007, 03:55 AM
Theres a few threads on here about this, apparently its one of your clutch bearings.

fxr
07-01-2007, 04:04 AM
Theres a few threads on here about this, apparently its one of your clutch bearings.

just had the clutch replaced, including bearings.. :confused:

EGBenny
07-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Input shaft bearing most likely, I had the same noise on my d15b7 so i pulled my gearbox out and pulled it apart. When i spun the input shaft bearing i could feel a slight roughness compared to the other bearings. So i replaced the bearing and the noise was gone

EG5[KRT]
07-01-2007, 11:07 AM
i would check if they put in the right amount of gearbox fluid...

bennjamin
07-01-2007, 11:58 AM
if you had the clutch replaced , they would of replaced only pilot bearing ( on flywheel) and release bearing ( on clutch pressure plate)

the problem , is the bearings INSIDE the gearbox are gone.
Might be input shaft bearing or mainshaft bearing etc...$$$

EGBenny
07-01-2007, 01:28 PM
it sucks that u didn't get the bearings replaced while the gearbox was out

fxr
08-01-2007, 03:38 AM
it sucks that u didn't get the bearings replaced while the gearbox was out

tell me about it... unfortunately there was no choice. i needed the clutch asap coz mine was slipping like crazy (but only until vtec strangely, which was amusing :p) and it was between christmas and new years... so i was damn lucky to find the mechanic really... and he couldn't find a gearbox guy until the 8th or 9th of Jan apparently. I'm gonna call him today and ask what i'm looking at.

if you had the clutch replaced , they would of replaced only pilot bearing ( on flywheel) and release bearing ( on clutch pressure plate)

the problem , is the bearings INSIDE the gearbox are gone.
Might be input shaft bearing or mainshaft bearing etc...$$$

oh yeah and the other thing i forgot to mention was, i got the clutch kit from a place in Rocklea.. K&A? eh someone recommended it on here actually when i first joined (thats why i joined :p) and the guy said i might need a spigot(?) bearing along with the usual 2 (pilot and release - thanks bennjamin) so for the extra $9 or whatever it was i just got it and told the mechanic to use it if it needed it :p.

So, you say $$$.... how much are we talking?

so many of you guys talk of 'just' dropping out your gearboxes and taking a look for yourself... exactly how much mechanical prowess does that require?

sorry if i'm talking too much but it's late :P

EG5[KRT]
08-01-2007, 07:18 AM
might b cheaper to just get a 2nd hand box off barefootbanzai ...

and when u haev time to slwoly rebuild ur other box.

EGBenny
08-01-2007, 05:44 PM
im 19 and have NO experience with gearboxes when i fixed mine up. As long as you have a little confidence with your hands and some patience theres no reason you can't do it yourself.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873&page=1
this link used to have photos and it sounds harder than it is

bennjamin
08-01-2007, 06:22 PM
So, you say $$$.... how much are we talking?

so many of you guys talk of 'just' dropping out your gearboxes and taking a look for yourself... exactly how much mechanical prowess does that require?

sorry if i'm talking too much but it's late :P

ok...to start...

to "take off a gearbox" is about $250-300 labour at most workshops.
Add about $20-300 depending on the amount of bearings to replace
Add another $300 or so labour , to take it apart and install new bearings.
you get the idea