PDA

View Full Version : Bullbar / Nudgebar Q's

FelixR31
07-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey all,

Just got a 2003 CR-V Sport and I'm looking at making up a smallish nudgebar out of 50mm pipe for roadkill damage reduction and mounting highpower driving lights.

My only concern is the airbags. If I mount my nudgebar where Honda mounts factory units, will it affect the operation of the airbags if the need ever arises.

If anybody can help, please do. I don't want to ask my local Honda dealer because I know they will feed me the corperate crap about factory parts, but why spent $600ish when I can make it myself for under $20!

Cheers, Greg.

Zilli
30-01-2007, 10:25 AM
airbags dont activate below 60km/h (most of them dont anyway). At an impact of that speed it wont make a difference...

however, im sure that ones that are prefab and made specifically to your car would have designed crumple zones, and made of alloy which will bend easier

dunno, id recommend you just buy one rather than make one, think of your insurance

Zdster
30-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I personally think this is one of the worst ideas ever. Standard bars can do terrible things to pedestrians and some of those are designed with crumple zones (as mentioned). A home made one (with no testing/standards) would not only be very questionable in an accident, but could also be illegal.

FelixR31
30-01-2007, 06:01 PM
I was going to make this nudgebar out of aluminium pipe (I'm an aluminium welder by trade) so it would be "softer" than one made from steel.

It'll have no sharp edges, unlike the factory style ones that have rolled flatbar to provide the strength.

Personally, if a pedestrian is worried about if a nudgebar is made from alloy rather than steel, they shouldn't walk out infront of my car, should they?

I can see the point regarding insurence though. I'll ring up and ask what the go is.

Cheers, Greg.

Drew
06-02-2007, 08:03 AM
People don't intentionally walk out in front of cars...

If you want to make your own nudge bars then go and make them
But if you have doubts buy the genuine Honda ones