PDA

View Full Version : 10" sub query

BIG`O
07-01-2007, 06:28 PM
ok, i have purchased 2x10" eclipse subs.

now in my boot install, it would look mean if i could mount on in reverse to the other (one face up, one face down)

now, after thinking about it i don't think it will work, so i tried, indeed - it sound like ass...

now what i'm wanting to know is there any other way i can wire it so that it will work like this? or do i just put them both the same way?

any help on this matter is appreciated..:thumbsup:

nugget666
07-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Your subs are actually colliding harmoniously by the sound of it, as one compresses the air in the chamber, the 2nd one sucks it back out, i'm guessing you have a shared chamber for both subs Smile Not a good idea to have one in phase and one out of phase, you'll ruin your accoustics and it'll sound like dribble. One sub will reduce the volme of the other sub, sound waves and all that, just invert both. They don't even need to be out of polarity if you invert them, i'm running mine 180 degrees out of phase as they match the music a little better like that since i've got side mounted ports.

Just match both subs up and you'll be right.

BIG`O
07-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Your subs are actually colliding harmoniously by the sound of it, as one compresses the air in the chamber, the 2nd one sucks it back out, i'm guessing you have a shared chamber for both subs Smile Not a good idea to have one in phase and one out of phase, you'll ruin your accoustics and it'll sound like dribble. One sub will reduce the volme of the other sub, sound waves and all that, just invert both. They don't even need to be out of polarity if you invert them, i'm running mine 180 degrees out of phase as they match the music a little better like that since i've got side mounted ports.

Just match both subs up and you'll be right.

cheers, would adding a airtight divider solve the problem?

ps. the speakers are in the truck and work fine:thumbsup: ;)

muhhan
07-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Adding an air tight divider will effectively create 2 separate boxes. So the phase shouldn't matter in that instance, but you just need to make sure that you'll still have the correct volume for each sub otherwise that will make it sound like a$$ too!

I think having the speaker reverse mounted changes the volume of the box too as you don't have the speaker displacing any volume in the box. Although the subs should come with dimension guidelines for all sorts of installation configurations.

rtsnoz
07-01-2007, 08:52 PM
As said. By putting one sub upside down, one up the other way you are making the waves opposite to each other. Making 2 seperate boxes will not effect this, as it is the waves OUTSIDE the box which you hear and these waves will still be effected.

integraz
07-01-2007, 08:53 PM
you can do one reverse and one normal, but that would mean the normal one, with normal polarity ie/ postive goes to positive, but the reverse mounted one, would also need to have reverse polarity, ie positive to negative

rtsnoz
07-01-2007, 09:12 PM
thats a good point. I believe that will work! :)

SPL77Civic
09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
you can do one reverse and one normal, but that would mean the normal one, with normal polarity ie/ postive goes to positive, but the reverse mounted one, would also need to have reverse polarity, ie positive to negative

This man is on the money.:thumbsup:

JasonGilholme
09-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Yep. Reverse the polarity of the second sub and it should solve your problem.

trism
09-01-2007, 05:09 PM
even if you have a divider, you still need to have one with reversed polarity, as teh sound will still cancell....

GRU53M
13-01-2007, 05:01 PM
The other way to do it is if your headunit has an option to reverse the phase on the sub you can still do that or if your amps have the same option you can do that as well.

Cheers Stephen

SPL77Civic
13-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Nah, won't work.

That will just reverse the phase of both woofers, not just the one that is inverted.

He has been told how to achieve it properly.

GRU53M
14-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Nah, won't work.

That will just reverse the phase of both woofers, not just the one that is inverted.

He has been told how to achieve it properly.

If he is using two amps then it can be done.

SPL77Civic
14-01-2007, 08:19 AM
The headunit would reverse the phase of both amps and from a thread of his on another forum he isn't using 2 sub amps and the ones that he has don't have phase switches.

BIG`O
14-01-2007, 01:43 PM
bought a 800 wrms monoblock. will wire it in and see how it goes, turning the gain on my speakers up also made some engine noise through tweeters :(:(