PDA

View Full Version : Worth getting a K&N panel filter?

Alpine
07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Did a search for "K&N" but came up nothing. Just wondering if getting a K&N panel filter to replace the stock panel filter in the airbox is worth the purchase price? Does it really do all it claims to do? Car is a 1999 1.6 Civic GLi and/or 2001 2.0 CR-V.

RyDC5S
07-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Need to use wildcard with vBulletin for strings less than 3 chars.

" K&N* "

EKVTIR-T
07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Honestly from my experience the gains if any are not worth $120.Personally I find the oem panel has better response and more torque down low but I expect alot of people will disagree.

aaronng
07-01-2007, 09:29 PM
You won't feel a dfference in power.

JaCe
07-01-2007, 09:31 PM
I thought it'd do nothing but it's definitely noticeable... not sure if it was worth my $90 or so... but it makes the car feel a little more responsive and also the car sounds a bit better :)

xtc.thai
07-01-2007, 09:39 PM
yeah wouldnt think it'd be worth the money u paid for it btw when u buy something from K&N its just like buying a BM your only paying for the badge name.

JaCe
07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
What I'm curious about is.. does the K&N filter really save you money? I mean like.. half the back of the box was explaining how you don't need to replace it like paper filters, so therefore you save heaps of money... but somehow I have my doubts.

An41
07-01-2007, 10:41 PM
What I'm curious about is.. does the K&N filter really save you money? I mean like.. half the back of the box was explaining how you don't need to replace it like paper filters, so therefore you save heaps of money... but somehow I have my doubts.

paper filters you just throw out and buy a new one which cost money, with the k&n you just clean and re oil it with a cleaning kit instead of having to throw it out, it will save you money in the long run.

EKVTIR-T
07-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Anyone keep and drive their car for 1million kms?Of course not.Perhaps Taxis should buy em lol......

Dylanamus
08-01-2007, 12:03 AM
I noticed more throttle response when I replaced my oem paper filter with a K&N panel. Power gains... minimal if any. Noise? Sounds a bit more beefier. Rip out the resonator and radiator warm air feed and replace with a CAI feed and you might notice a bit more torque - if you're as sensitive as a dyno.

My retrospective analysis is... just get a good dry pod and build a custom wall that isoloates it from engine heat and run a pipe from the bumper to it. Performs best. Sounds best. (In my experience.)

BiLL|z0r
08-01-2007, 06:48 AM
I have 1 in my Euro. No difference in power or noise for me but should last longer and no more paying $50 for a Honda OEM filter every 30K or so. I bought mine on Ebay new for $90 so worth it for me. (plus there's the K&N sticker you get, that's 10kw at least :))

schew
08-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Did a search for "K&N" but came up nothing. Just wondering if getting a K&N panel filter to replace the stock panel filter in the airbox is worth the purchase price? Does it really do all it claims to do? Car is a 1999 1.6 Civic GLi and/or 2001 2.0 CR-V.

I have a completely stock 1998 1.6 Civic GLi and i have found that the K&N panel filter has made the engine build revs a little smoother. I put in the K&N after using a brand new genuine Honda paper filter for about 1-2 weeks, so the improvement was not from replacing a dirty filter with a clean one.

I was sceptical about any improvements the K&N filter claimed to have, but i was able to get a 2nd hand one for $40. No real difference when it comes to extra power and my fuel economy has continued to be as good as it ever was - average of 7L per 100Kms.

Alpine
08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
It made it rev a little smoother, eh, but no difference in extra power or economy? Hmm. Might just keep using the stock ones I guess.

Cold Fusion
08-01-2007, 04:54 PM
i have one but i dont kno if i felt a difference or not, i think its not really THAT much worth it, but smeh i wish i got a pod with intake pipe but i just got stock pipe with K&N with resonator and s*** taken out

JaCe
08-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I noticed more throttle response when I replaced my oem paper filter with a K&N panel. Power gains... minimal if any. Noise? Sounds a bit more beefier. Rip out the resonator and radiator warm air feed and replace with a CAI feed and you might notice a bit more torque - if you're as sensitive as a dyno.

It feels alot smoother and more willing to accelerate; definitely no actual power gains... but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me. I'm pretty sure that it does sound a little bit different; at least in my 06 Civic. Rather than the silent "techno-whirl" noise which my car used to have, it's a little bit more meatier and noticeable...

(plus there's the K&N sticker you get, that's 10kw at least :))

Oh yeh, I still haven't installed the bumper sticker yet (only put the "Warning" sticker in). Do you reckno any ricers out there would be willing to pay top $$ for my GENUINE K&N sticker? LOL... jkjk.

Dylanamus
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Regarding the noise difference of the filter. If you keep the rest of your air intake completely stock (ie don't remove the resonator or anything), then you will probably notice zero change in the noise - maybe a slight change in tone?

However, if the area where the intake is sucking air in is closer to the driver than stock, you will hear the changes in noise that the higher flowing aftermarket filter influences.

I got a K&N because it was basically the only locally available panel filter around for my SiR and the stock paper filter looked like it had never been replaced. I stick by the K&N panel filter now - it is a clear improvement upon stock and it's only $100 that will last as long as you want pretty much...

V_tec 4 life
08-01-2007, 10:16 PM
you wont realy feel power to be honest but it makes the car raw feeling like it goes harder, id defo put 1 on for that throttle kind of sound :)

aimre
08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Even if it doesnt make more power, its still worth it as u dont have to replace your filter ever again

aaronng
08-01-2007, 11:03 PM
If you are after a change in noise, then remove the resonator rather than go for a K&N

egSi
08-01-2007, 11:16 PM
yes :thumbsup:

Alpine
09-01-2007, 07:20 AM
What about rumors I have heard in the past that using things like K&N filters actually allow more DIRT and CRAP into your engine compared to a stock filter?

aaronng
09-01-2007, 03:27 PM
What about rumors I have heard in the past that using things like K&N filters actually allow more DIRT and CRAP into your engine compared to a stock filter?
Nah, dirt and crap doesn't get in. But a little more fine dust or sand does get through. But I remember reading someone who had an oil analysis done on his TSX with K&N panel filter showed a slight increase in silicon levels, but not at an alarming level.

schew
09-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Check out the following test:
http://vettenet.org/knfilter.html