PDA

View Full Version : sub -> amp + wiring questions..

BIG`O
08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
in update of the previous thread, i now have some other questions..

ok.

my ice setup includes the following:

ALPINE CVA-1014RB motorized monitor
ALPINE DVA-5120 DIN DVD player
KICKER K6.2 6.5" front splits
KICKER EX60 6" co-axial rear fill
CADENCE Q3000 (powering front splits)
KICKER CVR comp sub in 12" box
CADENCE Q3000 (powering sub)

now, just recently i did a complete boot install, involving the two amps and two new ECLIPSE SW6000's 10" woofers replacing the kicker comp woofer..

just wondering how i should wire them up.
1) will they work well enough off the Q3000 non bridged?
2) do i wire them in series or parallel?
3) they are dual voice coil so there is one +/- remaining on each woofer, what do i do about this?
4) can i have one reverse up and face up in the same chamber and just reverse the polarity of the inverted one?

i really have no idea on this topic..

Shane O

Fr3aKi3
08-01-2007, 08:13 PM
What impedance are the subs?

Looking at the specs on the cadence site the Q3000 doesn't look like it's 1 or 2 ohm stable when bridged. If the new subs are dual 4ohm then you'd be able to parallel them down to a 2ohm load and run one sub per channel.

Take a look at the link below, it's a good guide to wiring subs:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

Cadence claims 2x150wrms at 2ohm, I don't really know the quality of Cadence gear so I would'nt have a clue if that figure is under-rated or over-rated. Let's just say that their ratings are spot on, then in that case each VC would be only be getting 75wrms. 75wrms per VC maybe enough for daily listening but I wouldn't be pumping it up all that loud as it'd probably be pushing the amp to it's limit.

There shouldn't be a problem with mounting one sub inverted and the other normally, just as long as the phases are correct. The only thing I'd be worried about is the box. Since the sub is going to be inverted the volume of the box is now increased, if it's a sealed box it probably won't make that much of a difference. For a ported box, i'm not to sure what the effects would be since i've ever only been using sealed boxes.

SPL77Civic
09-01-2007, 03:48 PM
As per post on Boost, get yourself a 1 ohm stable amp.

That amp wont run both of those subs properly and chances are ýou'll end up breaking something.

trism
09-01-2007, 05:10 PM
yes, get a monoblock. as the amp wont work when bridged with those subs, and wont be putting out a decent amount of power for those subs...

BIG`O
09-01-2007, 05:37 PM
ok, what if i buy another amp for the fronts/rear speakers, and just bridge each sub individually? will that work? what are my options? i need to keep both the Q3000's due to the install..

trism
09-01-2007, 06:39 PM
multi channel amps arent designed to run subs. monoblocks are. as such, they have beefier power supplies, all the internal goodies are tougher, stronger, and designed to pump out subbass frequencies...

BIG`O
09-01-2007, 06:43 PM
ok sweet. so anyone else wanna get a group buy of the following:

we all get it cheaper :P

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0428&CATID=24&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595

trism
09-01-2007, 07:26 PM
you should be able to talk them down anyways....i dont know anybody who pays retail for audio gear.....

ask em to knock 50 off the price...