PDA

View Full Version : legal stud conversion

stanleym
09-01-2007, 07:30 AM
had a search not alot answered the q

just was told that in qld 5 stud cenversions are illegal and its a instant defect...

from any1's knowledge is it legal in syd or not???

and yes i kno i should spend money on more worthwhiel things ..i been through all that

destrukshn
09-01-2007, 08:08 AM
yes it is legal in sydney.

Menzy
09-01-2007, 08:09 AM
umm i know in sydney if some one was to throw in a b18c7, to get eng. cert. you would need the 5stud to pass with rta etc...

which makes it legal ..? some one correct me if im wrong?

[ Edit ] there you go, thanks destrukshn

stanleym
09-01-2007, 08:30 AM
thanks alot for that.. the project will be under way soon just need to source parts

AsH_
09-01-2007, 09:38 AM
wat about melb??

Boban
09-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Why is it illegal in qld. All the nissan boys do it here and none of them have been defected as far as i know. Well for that at least

bennjamin
09-01-2007, 10:53 AM
its 100% LEGAL once ENGINEERED.

*FYI
any modification will be legal , once passed by a authorized engineer.

AsH_
10-01-2007, 06:03 AM
how much would someone be looking at for a 5 stud conversion??

say dc2r's on a EG??

stanleym
10-01-2007, 07:22 AM
there plenty of info on how much it cost ... on average ull be look at about 1k after purhasing parts and labour may make it a bit more...

engineering cost like $500 so i guess its worth it if ukno ur gunna get defected for ova $500 lol

also benjamin u dont have any parts for the conversion do u i sent u a pm but u didn't reply :(:( lol

bennjamin
10-01-2007, 11:10 AM
also benjamin u dont have any parts for the conversion do u i sent u a pm but u didn't reply :(:( lol

sorry dude all gone atm :(

AsH_
10-01-2007, 01:51 PM
wat are the advantages for the conversion in terms of performance, etc?

Bodgy Racing Developments
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Stud conversions are something that definetly need to be engineered, i mean its like the main contact point between the tyre and the car, if the stud conversion isnt done properly then it can be very fatal.

In regards to going from 4stud to 5 stud, best way is to do something like a ITR swap where ur replacing pretty much the entire brake and stud package. Using those wheel spacer conversion kit things arent the best either as you cant really tell how strong the item is, swapping to something like ITR brake and stud is best as its already 5stud from factory, and since its not the hardest swap to do, its not hard to do the swap and also get it engineered.

Just remember though, (as you said) if you dont really need to do it, then stay 4stud as I have personally seen a fair few track cars that have kept the 4stud setup.

stanleym
10-01-2007, 02:55 PM
yea ... i did plan that i am gunna do the itr brake and rotor change..

all i need to work out is all the parts that i need to purchase...

so far i have worked out

rotor
hub assembly
calipers and pads
possible brake master cylinder

is the front brake setup different to the back and left and right???

cheers guys

please mention wat else i may have forgotton thanks

90LAN
10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
another thing is choice of wheels, because of the 5x114 is easier to get better jdm wheels in that offset.
in QLd you only need a mod plate(blue) which was only $110 (what i paid)
very good break upgrade, change also the master cylinder and booster to get the breaks working properly.
get the 96+ CTR 5 stud conversion for ease of getting 32m cv's instead of the dc2r 's 36m cv

20EG
10-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi All,

I recently read in a Honda Tuning Mag that you can use the Honda CRV Hubs on the front supposedly cheaper. Still need Teg Type R axles though.

For brakes you can use Honda Legend disks and calipers. They said disks are the same as Type R which I think is 282mm but the calipers have a greater clamping force than the Type R ones. It was also mentioned that if you want to fork the cash out NSX calipers will also work.

Maybe something to look into further!?

stanleym
10-01-2007, 10:46 PM
hmm i might stick to itr for the moment as i kno everythin will work....

is there a big prob if i just go with the dc2r's cv's ??? as i got adc4 shouldn't it be the same?

90LAN
11-01-2007, 04:41 PM
no probs if you go the itr's 5 stud conv as long as you get the 36mm cv's that goes with them. finding a b series 32mm cv will be easier than finding a itr cv thats all im am saying .
but if money isnt a issue than dont worry about it!

stanleym
11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
by cv's u mean hub assembly or should i add cv's to the list?