PDA

View Full Version : Prelude 3rd Gen S2 Questions

Petronas
09-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Well I'll be in the market for a 3rd Gen S2 really soon (The sooner the better :thumbsup: )

I just want to know a couple of questions (Have already visited Prelude Australia)...

#1 - What are the main differences between the S1 (1987-1989) and S2 (1990-1991) Preludes besides the cosmetic differences?
#2 - Do all S2 3rd Gen Preludes have the 4WS system?
#3 - What engines choices are available for the S2 Prelude?
#4 - How much difference does the 4WS system really make? Does the car handle better than the 4th Gen Si models because of this? (Just out of curiosity this one...)

Any input from owners of 3rd Gen Preludes are encouraged to write their opinions of the car :thumbsup:

destrukshn
09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
4th gens also have 4ws

rogue_mc
12-01-2007, 01:03 PM
There's no engine differences. Both have the AUDM B20A6 in them. I do believe all the AUDM S2s had 4WS. It's very handy especially during low speed manouevering like in carparks etc... smaller turning circle (9.2m)... you also get greater high speed stability.

Cita models came with leather and ALB (anti-lock brakes). TCVs also had traction control and an LSD in addition to other JDM goodies. They're JDM but there are a handful floating around Aus. The Cita is the top AUDM model.

IMO the s2s are nicer than the s1s... it's the little differences.

4th gens also have 4ws

IIRC 4WS was discontinued after 94 for AUDM ludes. It was also electronically controlled, not mechanical like the 3rd gens.

Petronas
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
IMO the s2s are nicer than the s1s... it's the little differences.

IIRC 4WS was discontinued after 94 for AUDM ludes. It was also electronically controlled, not mechanical like the 3rd gens.

One more thing, did all s2's come with a spoiler? or only the Cita Models?

Does anyone know why the 4ws was discontinued after the late 4th gens?

Yes it's the small differences, most notably the front and rear bumper bar sections... Gotta love that Ferrari Testarossa look (When Foggies are installed)

rogue_mc
12-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm pretty sure all s2's had a spoiler, 4 post kind.

There was no demand for 4WS on the 4th gen and i reckon the electronic version didn't work as well as the 3rd gens.

You'll notice other differences in the interior too, gauge cluster is different, side pockets are larger, steering wheel is different etc.

And yeah, the testerossa look is great... especially if you have a molded accord lip.

Petronas
13-01-2007, 11:09 AM
There was no demand for 4WS on the 4th gen and i reckon the electronic version didn't work as well as the 3rd gens.

Yeah I've heard really bad stories about the electronic version. If i'm not mistaken the 3rd gens had a mechanical version with less electronic interference? Dunno...

Oh well thanx fo the help guys...

rogue_mc
13-01-2007, 11:15 AM
3rd gens were purely mechanical, no electronics at all.

Hope you find a good one and come join prelude australia!