PDA

View Full Version : tie rod ends..

EK Civic R
09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey..
can any one explain to me what tie rid ends are and what the prupose of them? I got eg civic is it better to have standard parts or aftermarket parts when replacing them (I am looking at tracking my car mid this year)? What are the differences and what brands are avaliable for my eg?

any info will be much appreciated..
thanks

doctamick
09-01-2007, 05:35 PM
As the name implies, the tie rode ends are the joints on the ends of the tie rod. The basic purpose of the tie rod is to connect the steering rack to the steering knuckle on the hub, allowing you to turn the wheels.

I do not have any experience with replacing standard tie rod ends with aftermarket items so I cannot comment directly on this. However, it is important to replace the standrad tie rods if they are worn, as this will produce excessive play in your steering, causing the steering to feel less precise thus reducing the handling response and even causing increased and uneven tyre wear. I imagine that in most cases, OEM replacement tie rods ends would be suitable.

Remember that when you replace the tie rod ends, you will also have to get a wheel alignment done, as the toe setting will change as a result of the new rod ends.

I hope this helps, Mick.

muhhan
11-01-2007, 10:50 PM
In addition to the tie rod ends there are probably other parts you can replace that will have a larger impact on the way your car's steering feels, particularly the bushes. Your car is at least 12 years old so it is probably worth replacing the bushes. Take a look at some polyurethane bushes as this will make your steering feel more precise and give you better feed back.

Then there's always the issue of handling that can be addressed by a myriad of parts.

xiaohung
11-01-2007, 10:55 PM
is it possible for the tie rods become loose or something, because i feel that my left tie rod making a clicking noise also feels a little bit vibration on my steering wheel.

SLOWEGG
12-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Take your car to a mechanic, they will tell you if it needs replacing. Also it doesnt matter if its OEM or aftermaket, alot of places use steering products such as pedders or whiteline but they all do they same thing.