PDA

View Full Version : Creating the right custom swaybar for EF8

Dylanamus
09-01-2007, 08:04 PM
So I am getting Whiteline to custom build me a front swaybar to suit my CRX SiR and I'm not sure what the best thickness would be.

The front sway Whiteline makes for ED CRXs that is ALMOST the exact same shape as my SiR stock sway is 22mm.

At first I thought, 22mm it is then, but then I went on to think... the SiR has a b16a, not a d16aX like the ED CRXs and is a bit heavier upfront. The difference between the two cars at stock in total is around 90kg, most of which has been from changes from the firewall forwards.

I've also noticed that SiRs lean towards oversteer even with a relatively neautral setup, so this is another aspect making me consider 23 or 24mm.

On another note, is it worth paying a bit extra to have the swaybar made "adjustable" and can someone explain exactly how this "adjustability" works?

Your help, opinions and rationalisations would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: Thanks

bennjamin
09-01-2007, 09:11 PM
"adjustable" swaybars , use different endlink mounting points to influence the overall rigidity of the bar IE the closer to the end, the less rigid.
As an example on my whiteline rear bar , there is to close points ~ one is for 20mm and the other is for 22mm (comparatively speaking)
Im not sure if a similar setup can work on a front swaybar due to the endlink design but hey prove us wrong

Dylanamus
09-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks bennjamin. I can't see adjustable endlinks being all that useful, considering on my SiR they mount onto a double ball joint stabilizer rod (in other words, making it stiffer will just force the balljoint to flex sideways).

So I'm thinking 24mm... my rear has Whiteline 18mm at this stage... What are people's thoughts?

bennjamin
09-01-2007, 11:36 PM
what was the stock front size ? From teh pictures you have shown it looks tiny
24mm or so is nice on EG/EK/DCs fronts , so i cant see why not on a ED/EF .
As long as you keep the rear 18mm or alittle bigger it should balance out nicely

MaskedAP1
09-01-2007, 11:46 PM
whats the car for? whats urs other suspension setup? why you worry about front sway bar on a FF car?

Dylanamus
10-01-2007, 12:08 AM
The car is for the track, but I just happen to be driving it day to day at the moment. Why stiffer sway on the front? Steering response and also to correct an inate tendency to oversteer...

Benn.. stock is "probably" 18mm... the rear at 18mm feels really solid and slidey compared to the front... so it's really between 23 and 24mm at the moment. Ek and DC2 are heavier cars with different suspension setups... so it's an awkward comparison.

One mistake I don't want to repeat is getting something less "hardcore" than I really want/need and having to replace it later on... and I can't think of too many negative side effects of 24mm front, even if it means I have to bump the rear up to 20mm later down the track... I definitely hate body roll... I could probably balance this out with stickier front tyres on the track anyway...

edit: my suspension setup is:

buddy club race spec 12/8 coilovers
front upper and lower struts
rear upper and lower struts
whiteline rear sway 18mm solid
full polyurethane bushing kit

Kawasaki
10-01-2007, 08:47 AM
have front swaybar larger. currently im using 22 front and 22 rear and it tends towards oversteer and my front coilovers are turned up to help fix the oversteer. if your running a 18 rear go for 22 front and it will be perfect or go itr 22 rear and get a 24 front

Dylanamus
10-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Well I got Autobarn to fax Whiteline my request which is for front 24mm and rear 22mm adjustable. Just waiting on a reply etc.

Kawasaki
10-01-2007, 02:05 PM
22 rear is nice and stiff so if your building it for a race car i think you'll be much happier with that verses the 18mm, just make sure u have some subframe re-enforcement