PDA

View Full Version : KN panel filter vs CAI

Shimian
09-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Looking to do the following on my Sport. Either replace the stock panel filter with a KN or remove it and use a CAI. Which would you recommend? Which brand of CAI would you recommend if you choose CAI? Has anyone used a CAI in a Sport model and finds it worth getting or a waste of money? Any info is appreciated to help kick start my car modding :)

aaronng
09-01-2007, 11:08 PM
CAI for the sound! K&N panel filter is worth it if you really want to stick to the stock airbox. Why don't you test by removing the resonator first. If you like the resonator-less sound, then go K&N panel filter or stick to OEM Honda filter.

If you don't like the sound, then go CAI.

Dylanamus
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Running a cold air feed from the bumper to the bottom of an airbox with a high flow filter has been proven to be the best intake solution power-wise for close to stock engines. So if you're stock or close enough, it's really like aarong says, a question of noise.

dyljoy
09-01-2007, 11:25 PM
aarong, so u meaning CAI just make bigger noice than normal panel filter or also gain more power? confusing~

Dylanamus
09-01-2007, 11:26 PM
pod makes more noise compared to an airbox (stock setup, irregardless of what brand or OEM panel filter you have)

Shimian
09-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Im more after performance rather than sound. In other posts, some say K&N filters work for them, e.g. extra km per tank and some say it doesnt. Since I couldnt find anything on CAI advantages from forum users and only for the KN panel filter, maybe ill just go with that and save my money for other mods.

aaronng
09-01-2007, 11:27 PM
aarong, so u meaning CAI just make bigger noice than normal panel filter or also gain more power? confusing~

Powerwise, panel is better at low RPM. At high rev above 5000rpm, the CAI makes more power.

I don't have the K20Z2, but the K24A3. My setup is an SRI in a sealed box with a cold air feed. So I have better power at low and high RPM compared to the stock panel filter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svB6onZb3-c

dyljoy
09-01-2007, 11:30 PM
How about gain power, not difference compare with stock one?

aaronng
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
How about gain power, not difference compare with stock one?

Gain in power IS the difference compared to the stock panel filter.

xiaohung
09-01-2007, 11:59 PM
does anyone know where can i get the k&n drop in filter?

aaronng: by removing the resonator does it make the difference on sound?

Dylanamus
10-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Autobarn etc. Removing the resonator alone shouldn't affect the sound much... the distance the end of the intake is from the driver and the size and concentration of the inlet is what makes the difference (ie stock inlet has multiple entry points, so tone is sparce and not loud).

xiaohung
10-01-2007, 12:09 AM
ok thanks i'll check with autobarn tomorrow

by doing such things will it improve at least a lil bit?

Shimian
10-01-2007, 12:22 AM
The resonator thing sounds too complex to me since im a noob in cars. Only started to learn about them about 8 months ago. I think ill just stick with KN panel. Funny thing, autobarn dont stock them. They have to order them in and its around $130-$150. Called up Rocket Industries and they said $64 ex delivery. I wonder if they are the same parts. I made sure they were, but such a big price diff? Still waiting for a reply in the other post on where to buy a KN panel for sport model in Melb. :(

Dylanamus
10-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Maybe a miniscule incriment in performance, but you'll have a new filter that will last a really long time...

As for the resonator. It's so simple it'd be ludicrous to not try and remove it.

Basically. Remove the stock airbox cover, then remove the airbox housing (what the cover was bolted onto). This will reveal a box underneath that usually has a "snorkel" leading to the radiator. Simply rip all that shit out. Job done. (You may find you need to take the front bumper off to do this .. varies from car to car.. this is again so easy you could get a baby to do it. Just undo nuts and bolts and screws that are in the way until it decides to fall off.. Simple).

aaronng
10-01-2007, 12:26 AM
does anyone know where can i get the k&n drop in filter?

aaronng: by removing the resonator does it make the difference on sound?

If you remove just the resonator box, it sounds similar but it has a slightly louder volume. If you remove both the box and the pipe which the box is connected to, leaving the air inlet at the bottom of the airbox, you should get a loud and booming sound. For my car, it was booming at 3500rpm at full throttle. I got tired of it and put the pipe back in but left the resonator box off.

Dylanamus
10-01-2007, 12:28 AM
The pipe that goes to the box is the warm air feed from the radiator... It's designed to help warm your engine up quicker. Unfortunately, once the engine is warm, the warm air is no longer an advantage... for this reason I removed mine... Just a matter of preference really... I kinda like the booming sound.

xiaohung
10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
ok i'll try :D thanks for that

aaronng
10-01-2007, 01:16 AM
The pipe that goes to the box is the warm air feed from the radiator... It's designed to help warm your engine up quicker. Unfortunately, once the engine is warm, the warm air is no longer an advantage... for this reason I removed mine... Just a matter of preference really... I kinda like the booming sound.

I eventually got rid of the piping to make way for my intake. Now I have a rexy sound. Haha.

Dylanamus
10-01-2007, 01:18 AM
As much as I love the sound of N/A Hondas... flat 4s take the cake.. what a sound!

Shimian
10-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Powerwise, panel is better at low RPM. At high rev above 5000rpm, the CAI makes more power.

I rarely rev my car over 5,000. So I think i have made up my mind and get a panel filter.

Dylanamus
10-01-2007, 10:13 PM
If you rarely rev above 5000, get a v8, mate... :p

aaronng
10-01-2007, 10:15 PM
If you rarely rev above 5000, get a v8, mate... :p

Drinks too much petrol. LOL

Shimian
10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Drinks too much petrol. LOL

lol, I have to save petrol money to buy the filter :p

Vidospace
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
CAI into the guard is the way to go. It will remain legal and acutally improve performance too. Get rid of that recirculating plastic garbage they put in the guard!

Vidospace

Shimian
11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
you will have to explain it more cos im a noob with cars. Are you saying to get rid of the filter and the box it sits in and put in a CAI? But according to aaronng, since i dont rev over 5,000 theres no point for me to get a CAI.

czy_sol87
11-01-2007, 05:23 PM
this thread will probly help abit
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42865