PDA

View Full Version : Left Wheel Hub Problem

Twincam16
10-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Had my car up on the hoist the other day and the whole left wheel had a fair bit of tolerance when shaken left/right.

So anyway, can anybody confirm could this just needs a bearing, or would it definetly be the whole hub needing a change? As there is a fair bit of play, and now there is a knocking sound coming from the left hand side (ie same area as hub)

If so how much am I looking at for this as a second hand part and what compatibility is there (and any upgrades - ie DC2R)?

destrukshn
10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
hub nut could be loose.
but the dc2r hub won't work, unless you have a 5 stud conversion.

Twincam16
10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Ahh yeah didnt think about that...

How about compatibility... Are all EG front hubs same as one another? Ie EG Civic Si same as EG2 Crx?

JasonGilholme
10-01-2007, 06:48 PM
EG2 and EG Civic are the same man

Just make sure all the bolts in the suspension are done up as well. i had to loosen some bolts while i was working on the suspension so i could move the hub a little bit just to get it outta the way.

destrukshn
10-01-2007, 06:48 PM
should be okay to do.
front or rear?

ECU-MAN
10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
all depends how you shook the wheel

if you had your hands at 12 and 6 Oclock then its either the wheel bearing or the lower or upper ball joint.

if you had your hands at 9 and 3 Oclock then its either the wheel bearing or the tie rod end

you can rule out the wheel bearing if you dont get the slop in both directions

also you didnt mention if its front or rear

destrukshn
10-01-2007, 10:02 PM
all depends how you shook the wheel

if you had your hands at 12 and 6 Oclock then its either the wheel bearing or the lower or upper ball joint.

if you had your hands at 9 and 3 Oclock then its either the wheel bearing or the tie rod end

also you didnt mention if its front or rear
but what if it's the rear?

ECU-MAN
10-01-2007, 10:04 PM
12 and 6 either the wheel bearing or the upper joint bush

9 and 3 either the wheel bearing or the trailaing arm bush or lower arm bushes

destrukshn
10-01-2007, 10:06 PM
sounds good.
=)

Twincam16
10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Its the front passenger wheel...

Had hands at 9 & 3, didnt notice it shake when was 12 & 6... will jack it up again and give it another hit. If there is slop in both directions does this indicate that the upper/lower ball & the tie-rods are both done? Or something else?

ECU-MAN
10-01-2007, 10:42 PM
If in both directions it more than likely the wheel bearing.

Pretty unlucky to have a ball joint and tie rod go at the same time unless you pounded a curb big time

Twincam16
10-01-2007, 10:51 PM
If in both directions it more than likely the wheel bearing.

Pretty unlucky to have a ball joint and tie rod go at the same time unless you pounded a curb big time

Just remembered that about 2 weeks ago landed in a monster pothole which caused a large welt on the tyre and pinched the inside of my mag. Completely forgot about that.

If they are both stuffed can just go to a wrecker im guessing...

ECU-MAN
10-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I would replace them with new parts.

if its the tie rod or ball joint you will be able to see it move

also make sure your wheel nuts are tight

Twincam16
12-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Went past mates place yesterday, jacked up wheel and had good look around the sussy & lca's. Noticed the majority of movement was coming from around the chassis side of the LCA & then realised that all the rubber bushings had been worn right down, to barely anything.

Nolathane bushings time? Anybody know where to get these for decent price or just go and get OEM replacements?