PDA

View Full Version : wat makes brakes noisy

tengsta
11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
hi

i am wondering... when i press brakes... it makes the squeeky sound.. why does that happen??

sorry i feel bit stoopid asking :p

bennjamin
11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
its the contact between the pads and the discs.
Either due to uneven surface on pads or discs , or the pad material (different when cold / heated up) etc.

JasonGilholme
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
if its a squeeking sound it could mean your pads are low.

Most pads have a piece in them that rubs up agains the disc to let you know that the pads are getting low.

might need to change the pads.

Good luck.

aaronng
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
if its a squeeking sound it could mean your pads are low.

Most pads have a piece in them that rubs up agains the disc to let you know that the pads are getting low.

might need to change the pads.

Good luck.
That's a SCREEEEEEEEEECHing sound.

Squeaking is just vibration caused by the contact between the pad and disc.

EuroDude
11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Buy some AnitSqueal compound from an Auto Shop and apply it to the back of the brake pad where the Piston sits. Also apply some between the Brake pad and the metal plate that sits on brake bad (if it has one).

If its a loud constant squeak, the metal safety pin in the worn brake pad is touching the brake rotor. change the pads asap.

stanleym
11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
i remember the first time i heard that sounds i sh*t my pants

odell
11-01-2007, 02:51 PM
from the sounds of it you might actually have to get your brake pads replaced. is this "squeeky" sound only audible when the brake is pressed?

egSi
11-01-2007, 02:52 PM
noise and heat are side effects of friction

shinji112
11-01-2007, 02:59 PM
i get this weird noise wen i brake.. its a sound that happens once with every revolution of the brake disc... but it only happens wen i brake.. coz if i let the car roll for ages to slow down it doesnt happen, only happens wen i start braking. i had a look at the disc rotors and i cant see anything in one part of the disc for it to make a sound everytime the pad goes over it.. but theres a approx 1cm radius inner circle where it seems the pad isnt in contact with the disc, it looks the same as wen it was freshly machined. anyone ever had such a weird prob?

Zdster
11-01-2007, 03:02 PM
As I was once told, either you are going to get a lot of brake dust from your brakes (as the pads break down) or your brakes are going to squeel from the friction of pad on disc (the pad being stronger in this instance and not breaking down as quickly as in the first instance).

There is a difference however between squeel and screech as have been mentioned, as pad manufacturers place material in the pad so once the pad wears down you hear them and have a chance to replace them. Think of it this way - if they didnt screech when they were getting low how else would you know that your pads were gone other than when you put your foot on the break and you dont stop due to lack of material on the pad.

Zdster
11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
i get this weird noise wen i brake.. its a sound that happens once with every revolution of the brake disc... but it only happens wen i brake.. coz if i let the car roll for ages to slow down it doesnt happen, only happens wen i start braking. i had a look at the disc rotors and i cant see anything in one part of the disc for it to make a sound everytime the pad goes over it.. but theres a approx 1cm radius inner circle where it seems the pad isnt in contact with the disc, it looks the same as wen it was freshly machined. anyone ever had such a weird prob?

What sort of noise is it? A clicking sound or metal on metal?

shinji112
11-01-2007, 03:07 PM
more of a clicking/creaking sound.. wouldnt be worn CVs would it? and its only on the right side, and that lil inner circle is on the right disc only too. the left side is evenly worn

aaronng
11-01-2007, 03:40 PM
more of a clicking/creaking sound.. wouldnt be worn CVs would it? and its only on the right side, and that lil inner circle is on the right disc only too. the left side is evenly worn

Is the clicking sound increasing with speed? I'd say CV. As for the inner circle on your right disc, you should take your pads off to inspect if you lost a chuck of material on the inner circle area.

mrwillz
11-01-2007, 03:47 PM
after new pads went in
i oddly get a screech from one side
only at certain speeds slowing down
come n goes?
shud i take it apart(pad) sand it down a bit

b4dnuf
11-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but my brakes got me worried. i just changed and machined the rear brakes. got new pads bout a month ago. but everyonce in a while it makes a squealing noise when driving but no noise when i press the brake. and it only make it out of one side. is this because of the change or temp or do i jsut have to put compound to the pad... ???

shinji112
11-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Is the clicking sound increasing with speed? I'd say CV. As for the inner circle on your right disc, you should take your pads off to inspect if you lost a chuck of material on the inner circle area.

theres no noise wen im accelerating.. only when im on the brakes.. like i said earlier.. if the car rolls to a stop it doesnt make a sound.. only if i step on the brakes.. it freaks me out a bit.. but brakes still stop the car.. fluid is all topped up

xtc.thai
11-01-2007, 10:44 PM
after new pads went in
i oddly get a screech from one side
only at certain speeds slowing down
come n goes?
shud i take it apart(pad) sand it down a bit

yeah if its squealin abit then take the pads out n de-glaze them, you might find that your pads are shiny (glazed) so just get some sand paper and sand it abit untill u get rid of the glaze and sad abit of your brake disc too. hope that helps ya

mrwillz
12-01-2007, 08:57 AM
yea i will try agen thai thx
i sanded a bit off b4 putting it on to help bedding process but mayb not good enuff

EuroDude
12-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Hows the condition of the brake pad clips? (those two metal clips that sit on the brake pad notches). If they are in bad condition, bent, or broken, you should change them.
If the notches are loose, they can cause the pad to vibrate side to side and cause noise.

This is how you should apply the anti-squeal compound:
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy/front_brake_pads/21.jpg

Have a read of this guide:
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_front_brake_pads.shtml

panda[cRx]
13-01-2007, 12:20 AM
gangsta orange!!
i'm not gonna repeat what others have said but u will also find alot of cheapo pads can cause excessive noise compared to oem...excessive brake dust too.

oem pads are pretty good unless u plan on doing a huge amount of 'spirited driving', then u might wanna look a pad that performs better under higher temperatures

chunky
13-01-2007, 12:41 AM
i feel u bro
my echo could deafen u
the pads are brand new though but my mum wun get em rembeded

AsH_
13-01-2007, 08:09 AM
on my dads car it had no pads left and when i was driving it would sound like metal grinding very very loudly...

wen i would park every1 would turn their heads...

it was like listening to nails on a chalk board with twisted metal...

wen we got the brakes fixed, or i should say replaced, we had to replace everything... the discs were all scratched and warped too...