PDA

View Full Version : Higher red line

chunky
12-01-2007, 12:12 AM
wuts the advantage of having a higher red line?

SLOWEGG
12-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Nothing on a stock motor, unless you have supporting mods such as aftermarket cams and valve springs to make power to the higher red line and having the proper tune.

string
12-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Claymore hit it in one. All else equal, higher rpm = more power.

However simply increasing redline will probably not help you. Any given cam/head combination will have a peak efficiency and drop off afterwards. Unless you are moving this peak to a higher rpm, you're not going to be doing much good revving a bit higher.

Take for example the B18A non-vtec motor from a GSI Integra. Peak torque (effectively capacity efficiency) is at around 5500 rpm. From then on, torque drops off rapidly due to small ports, and low lift and duration cams; i.e. air just can't get in fast enough to fill the space. The rate at which torque drops off is minorly counteracted by the increase in revs creating more power strokes (but at less energy per stroke), such that the engines total power output will increase up to around 6300rpm then drop off after that. Take a look at a dyno graph to see what I mean. Revving one of these engines higher will just strain all components without gain.

Now we'll look at a vtec motor. They peak torque at a much higher rpm. The VTi-R motor makes nearly the same peak torqe as the GSI, however, since it is considerably higher up in the rev range (can't remember numbers off my head, but it's probably in the 7000's somewhere), you are making the same sized 'bangs' per power stroke, but far more of them, creating more over-all power.

The Type-R takes this one step further by pushing peak torque even higher.

The same logic applies to big V8's for example. They may only rev to 5500 rpm, however due to the fact they have such a high capacity, their torque is very high, so to make twice the power of a 4 cyl honda motor, at three times the capacity, they only need to rev 2/3 as high.

In terms of unlimited budget motorsport, you'll always go with whatever weighs less. A 900hp n/a 3 litre motor is always going to be better than a 900hp n/a 6 litre motor; there's half as much metal to lug around!

Hope that helps.

chunky
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
thx guys

dc2dc2dc2
12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
too much nfs for u kid :p

string
12-01-2007, 11:48 AM
too much nfs for u kid :p
Lol I don't know who that was directed at, nor what it means :D

chunky