PDA

View Full Version : EM1 Exhaust.

Micko
12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Hey i went in to a shop, qouted 600+ to fit my itr headers/cat/muffler.
its mandrel bend stainless steel. does this sound right? or something smelling fishy?

its booked in for tuesday morning.

egSi
12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
seems ok mate :thumbsup:

Micko
12-01-2007, 09:28 PM
ta thanks for the heads up :D

egSi
12-01-2007, 09:30 PM
asked any other shops?

your system will kill when its on :thumbsup:

philBo
13-01-2007, 12:08 AM
custom exhaust?

Micko
13-01-2007, 12:48 AM
yeah, i went around, i got alot of peoples opinion on shops and this one did the best job afaik.
i was worried when he asked me if the itr headers will fit a b16 lol :S

czy_sol87
13-01-2007, 12:25 PM
wait are u suppying everything?
ie headers cat, and catback?

mrwillz
13-01-2007, 12:40 PM
wen i read that agen (after reading ur post crzy) it sounds like he is supplying the parts and getting it all fitted + new piping for 600

hmmmm
taht alot if its that way

czy_sol87
13-01-2007, 12:43 PM
wen i read that agen (after reading ur post crzy) it sounds like he is supplying the parts and getting it all fitted + new piping for 600

hmmmm
taht alot if its that way

yeh thats what i thought when reading it, thats a lot if u ask me

but if he his suppying u the cat and catback its a decent price
cause the quotes i've gotten for just a catback (mild steel) were around the $700 mark

JohnnyVtec
13-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Gday Micko,

M8 if you're going for the mandrel bends i'm wondering if you wish for them to purge the welds aswell? if they're rep is good then they will do this during the mendrel bent pipe welding and install it to your specs. $600 is close to what most people on ozhonda pay. It looks like you're not far off. What diameter pipe is being used, what thickness, #4 finish, Mirror? also does this include a flexi? lol you probably already got it done. M8 i'm sure it's a great deal and you'll be happy with it. upload some bytes or vids when you get the chance. I look forward to meeting up again. Your car is bada$$ anyways.

Take Care,

Micko
16-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Bah!~ its in the shop atm, and i just got a call sayin that they dont have 2.5' piping but all my parts are 2.5'... that just cuts me right up to the max. looks like it will never be the setup i wanted in the end..

VTi_b0i
16-01-2007, 10:17 AM
dont settle for something u dont want!!! if its 2.5inch u want, dont settle for anything less! take it somewhere else if need be....
if u dont get wat u want, ull end up doing it again and waisting more money...

Micko
16-01-2007, 10:21 AM
they already been working on it for 3 hours!
i cant go in and say nah guys stop un do what you did cos that would cost me 2

VTi_b0i
16-01-2007, 10:26 AM
damm man... wel i hope u like it :thumbsup:

Micko
16-01-2007, 10:38 AM
well i'll dyno it, rebuild my exhuast and dyno again/ i only loose 1300$ (including installtion)* for everythign i spent on my exhaust.

i just think its slack of the shop to call me up half way through it to tell me they didn have 2.5' piping,,,.... good game

VTi_b0i
16-01-2007, 10:40 AM
lol only 1300...think of wat you coulda done with it haha... yeahh that is pretty sly wat they did :thumbdwn:

Zdster
16-01-2007, 11:18 AM
well i'll dyno it, rebuild my exhuast and dyno again/ i only loose 1300$ (including installtion)* for everythign i spent on my exhaust.

i just think its slack of the shop to call me up half way through it to tell me they didn have 2.5' piping,,,.... good game

I would have told them to stop right away, go down there and tell them to do what you asked for originally. If they wernt prepared to return it to the way it was when you brought it in and go elsewhere.

I have had major exhaust dramas in the past and there is nothing worse than some of the dodgy guys out there who claim to be professionals. Cost me a heck of a lot and I am not just talking about financially.

Micko
16-01-2007, 11:33 AM
i did call and told them to stop or do it my way but he goes "nah these headers are 2.25" arent ITR 2.5 at the collector? but then they already wrecked my ITR mainifold by cutting the collector off the end,..

i just cant win.

Micko
16-01-2007, 05:29 PM
i got the car back, 2.25 from itr collector, flange to 2.5 cat 2.5 rest of the way mandrel bent. not what i asked for but i am pretty happy with it , although i think the xforce cat needs to be warn in, am i right?, vtec sounds beautiful with the s10 muffler :thumbsup:

philBo
16-01-2007, 09:21 PM
glad to hear things turned out 'alrite'

egSi
16-01-2007, 10:37 PM
wtf micko! ripped off? damn :thumbdwn:

Micko
17-01-2007, 09:11 AM
wtf indeed, i have a question now..
my exhaust has a massive tin can buzz in it. it sounds like the noise is from the cat or fexi pipe? its pretty loud buzz aswel i thought by getting the twinloop muffler i wouldnt have this problem?

noise is only there under acceleration, and i have no resignator is that my issue?

Edit: im just so hoping that sound just needs to be worn in *fingers crossed*

Micko
17-01-2007, 09:26 AM
here is a video of a similar buzz to mine. same sound but the buzz is there from about 2-3k rpm acceleration except i have a twinloop and not a fart cannon :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVEKntuNUFw

egSi
17-01-2007, 09:59 AM
u have no resonator man? if u dont THATS the problem, the only noise the cat should make is meow :thumbsup:

Zdster
17-01-2007, 10:04 AM
u have no resonator man? if u dont THATS the problem, the only noise the cat should make is meow :thumbsup:

Solid advice. Put a resonator in :thumbsup:.

Micko
17-01-2007, 10:05 AM
done and done, i'll ring up now and book it back in.
best have advice then me guessing it on my own thank you guys :D

egSi
17-01-2007, 10:26 AM
micko, man i wish i gave u more info when u picked it all up. sorry :o

a good quality resonator will fix that buzz bullshit up quick smart.

Off the shelf cat backs, ie A'PEXi, Tanabe always come with one :thumbsup:

Micko
17-01-2007, 10:37 AM
ahahaa you bastard! :P just kiddin. yeah no worrys then we know what has to be done ^_^

long resi or shortish one? the guy at the shop recons it wont get rid of the noise but take alot of it off the top? that worries me becuase it is an unforgiving sound

Zdster
17-01-2007, 10:41 AM
ahahaa you bastard! :P just kiddin. yeah no worrys then we know what has to be done ^_^

long resi or shortish one? the guy at the shop recons it wont get rid of the noise but take alot of it off the top? that worries me becuase it is an unforgiving sound

Get him to just tack weld it in place and then turn over the engine. That way at least you will get an idea of what it will sound like.

The longer the resonator the softer quieter the final sound, so it is up to you about length.

Micko
17-01-2007, 10:45 AM
oh ok, well that buzz sound is only happening under acceleration, idle sound is beautiful deep note/down shifting is a beautiful note.

egSi
17-01-2007, 10:52 AM
imo get the same size as your oem resonator. im surprised he didnt re use it?

man im never goin to this shop again, i should of just sold u a complete catback :mad: i suck :thumbdwn:

Micko
17-01-2007, 11:00 AM
oi trav dont be hard on yourself, there isnt anythign wrong with the muffler, if anything it sounds like it is the XF cat..
so i'll put a resi on it and if that doesnt solve anything i'll change the cat to a 2 1/4...
(apparently the downgrade to 2 1/4 cat helped out an OH member on the noise)

Micko
17-01-2007, 11:05 AM
i just think the noise is because from my extracotrs the collector was cut off and a fexi pipe was installed at 2.25' and piping all the way then flanged at the 2.5' cat - from there the piping from the cat is 2.5' all the way to the twinloop with no resi installed. once again a setup i never asked for...
i think by installing a a resi will help but not alot, i should just rebuild my exhaust down to 2.25 from the cat back....

Zdster
17-01-2007, 11:07 AM
imo get the same size as your oem resonator. im surprised he didnt re use it?

man im never goin to this shop again, i should of just sold u a complete catback :mad: i suck :thumbdwn:

Yeah - Trav sucks :p. Just kidding ;).

I wouldnt have thought using the oem one would be best as the inlet/outlet size could be to small. As I said earlier, get him to just tack one into place and get someone to rev the engine. Sit in the car and stand behind the car and make sure you are happy with the sound before they build it. If you were in Victoria I would recommend you a place, but goodluck with it all.

Micko
17-01-2007, 03:41 PM
ok i got it back into the shop, got a 18" resi on it, killed some buzz but not all of it, the buzzing is actually comming out of my twinloop muffler, how unlucky :( *i know i said it wasnt the muffler until they got it up on the lift and showed me

philBo
17-01-2007, 04:29 PM
ok i got it back into the shop, got a 18" resi on it, killed some buzz but not all of it, the buzzing is actually comming out of my twinloop muffler, how unlucky :( *i know i said it wasnt the muffler until they got it up on the lift and showed me

perhaps the buzzing sound will go away after the zorst has been used a bit more. you can only hope mate. :)

Micko
17-01-2007, 04:31 PM
i know ive been thrashing it hard as getting the wear in, but fingers crossed hey ^_^