PDA

View Full Version : air compressors

Rice_4_life
12-01-2007, 06:06 PM
ok before i go out tomolo shoppin for an air compressor i'd like sum advice from people who own and use their own air compressors at home. i dont wanna get ripped for sumthin tats overkill for my needs, just one tat can power my air tools and inflate tyres. kinda questions im lookin at is capacity, max pressure, power output and so fourth.

any advice would b great!! cheers in advance to posters

Slow96GSR
12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Well I will tell you now stay away from "pancake" compressors. Not enough volume for auto needs. I would suggest one with a large tank and around 150-180 psi. Other than that the HP and max PSI the pump delivers is dependant on how long you want to wait for it to fill up. Also get a name brand one. Nothing is worse then the pump going out and you only having a limited warranty that ended a week before the pump went out. Any good name brand compressor will have a 1-3 year warranty and some like Snap-On/Bluepoint or Sears have limited lifetime warranties.

aaronng
12-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I really wish we had sears here. It sounds like a place that stocks everything expensive and cheap, yet does not reek of sub-standard quality like Super Cheap Auto tools do.

Rice_4_life
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. As for the compressor I'll browse around tomorrow and see if I can get a good deal on one. I'll post up my findings for anyone interested or considering buying a compressor in the near future.

panda[cRx]
13-01-2007, 12:23 AM
dude just get hooked up thru your work supplier at a good price.
better than paying retail for some sub-par shit.

if u work at a dealer u shouldn't be paying full retail for things like that, u'll have connections at work so use em ;)

Rice_4_life
13-01-2007, 12:29 AM
ahhh so being a mechanic comes with connections aye :D i'll check in on monday and see if i can pull a few strings here and there :P

Slow96GSR
13-01-2007, 09:06 AM
I really wish we had sears here. It sounds like a place that stocks everything expensive and cheap, yet does not reek of sub-standard quality like Super Cheap Auto tools do.

They are just as good as Snap-On but you don't pay Snap-On prices. Like a Snap-On combination wrench set is $1400USD for an 8-piece set, yet a Sears set is like $400USD for a 14-piece set. They have their differences but when it comes to basic tools Sears always get my business. I only buy Snap-On for the specialty tools and scanners. I buy Ingersoll-Rand air tools and if I had the money would buy their compressors.