PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of lightened flywheel

simbadda54
13-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Hey guys, my gearbox needs to be removed to get to some gay oil leak on the crankshaft or something and i was thinking of upgrading the flywheel since the gearbox is coming out anyways.

Firstly i was wondering if there are any disadvantages in having a lightened flywheel eg. wearing clutch faster etc. Also, would i need to upgrade anything else such as a new clutch

Cheers

roar
13-01-2007, 01:36 AM
revs will decrease quicker with lighter flywheel
with a typical lightened flywheel, throttling off at higher revs will feel like 30% braking...

your up and downshifts will have to be alot quicker, possibly putting more strain on the synchros...

lightened flywheels are also related to high flywheel noise (point in case...check out a supra with a lighter flywheel...sounds gross)

however, for most lightened flywheels on the market for street/wannabe racer cars, the benefits far outweigh the negatives

czy_sol87
13-01-2007, 12:33 PM
i got a spoon flywheel, there isnt much differnce i've noticed, it is a little more rev happy though

if u gonna change the flywheel, u might as well do the clutch, as it will be cheaper cause the box is already out
theres no point of changing the flywheel, the in a couple of months u need to do the clutch, might as well do everthing at once, and save a bit of $$$

Zilli
13-01-2007, 01:18 PM
i agree, you might as well do the clutch since its out, I recently got the TOda flywheel and exedy organic clutch and i love th way it feels. Nice and responsive... wasnt earth moving stuff, but the car feels really nice

and yes, they are noisy

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Dont forget that if your going up a hill, and your in the wrong gear.. the car will decelerate very quickly

aaronng
13-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Dont forget that if your going up a hill, and your in the wrong gear.. the car will decelerate very quickly

Not if you are applying throttle. If you apply throttle, the car with a lightened flywheel will accelerate up the hill quicker.

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 02:05 PM
only if ur in the right rev range.. if ur not... the engine will not have enough momentum to continue going up the hill

Drop a gear and its a different story

aaronng
13-01-2007, 02:36 PM
only if ur in the right rev range.. if ur not... the engine will not have enough momentum to continue going up the hill

Drop a gear and its a different story

Oh yeah. But even with the stock flywheel and you are in the wrong gear, you'll still lug the engine and not accelerate.

simbadda54
13-01-2007, 02:41 PM
I actually got the clutch changed about a month ago so im kinda pissed off that the gearbox needs to be taken out again. I was also thinking of getting some extractors but people are telling me a new flywheel is better. Im getting the fidanza one off yonas at JDM Yard

czy_sol87
13-01-2007, 02:58 PM
i agree, you might as well do the clutch since its out, I recently got the TOda flywheel and exedy organic clutch and i love th way it feels. Nice and responsive... wasnt earth moving stuff, but the car feels really nice

and yes, they are noisy

what kind of noises are u getting cause, im getting weird sounds out of mine as well
kind of like a scraping or squealing sound when taking off
or is that my ceramic clutch???

dude its not that bad
a light weight flywheel doesnt mean that every time u tap the accelerator its gonna redline or when u let go of the accelerator ur gonna slow down to zero in a second

VTi_b0i
13-01-2007, 03:04 PM
you slow down less when u let off the accelerator...it REDUCES compression braking...

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 03:17 PM
yes but because the flywheel has less weight, it carries less energy. Momentum is what keeps a car rolling after you finished accelerating..

its harder to slow down a heavier flywheel than it is a lighter one, hence why u decel quicker.

As for aaronng, with a stock wheel u may still lug the engine but it will carry on further due to its great weight.. cmon man u should know already!! its simple physics!

aaronng
13-01-2007, 03:58 PM
As for aaronng, with a stock wheel u may still lug the engine but it will carry on further due to its great weight.. cmon man u should know already!! its simple physics!

The heavier fly will take more energy to increase its RPM. So it will take longer to get up to the same speed as a lightweight fly (i.e. slower up hill). So a car with a lightweight flywheel will still get uphill quicker than an identical car with a stock flywheel, in both correct gear and wrong gear situations.

But once you let go of the accelerator, the heavier fly will take you further because it reduces the effects of engine braking.

dudeling7
13-01-2007, 04:14 PM
what is the noise that you guys are hearing? does this noise come with all lightweight flywheels? also the fidanza one is only 3.? kg which is VERY light, do u think this will offer fair gains an still be streetable?

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 04:24 PM
That is correct and exactly what i was saying :)

aaronng
13-01-2007, 04:31 PM
That is correct and exactly what i was saying :)

LOL, I've been hoodwinked..... Anyway, my point was just that if you have 2 cars, one with a lightweight fly and both were going up hill in the wrong gear while accelerating, then 3 situations can arise.

1) Not enough torque to maintain speed at full throttle.
Then it is as you described, the lightweight fly decelerates quicker.

2) Just enough torque to maintain speed of the stock flywheel
The stock car will only maintain its speed going uphill, but the car with the lightweight flywheel will be accelerating.

3) More than enough torque to accelerate uphill
The car with the lightweight flywheel will accelerate quicker.

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 04:41 PM
si senor :)

aaronng
13-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Pienso que mantendré mi boca cerrada. :)

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 04:48 PM
hahah buena idea!!!

i didnt know u spoke spanish?

aaronng
13-01-2007, 04:54 PM
hahah buena idea!!!

i didnt know u spoke spanish?

Hehe, the power of:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2374/babelfishny9.gif

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 04:56 PM
*shakes his head*

aaronng
13-01-2007, 05:05 PM
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7825/pen172fastgt2.gif

simbadda54
13-01-2007, 05:16 PM
what is the noise that you guys are hearing? does this noise come with all lightweight flywheels? also the fidanza one is only 3.? kg which is VERY light, do u think this will offer fair gains an still be streetable?

Can someone answer this plz lol

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 05:33 PM
ive never known a flywheel to be noisey...???
I had a light flywheel in my 180sx but i also ran a twin plate clutch..
The clutch was noisey... not the flywheel.. I think it should be fairly streetable
Im thinking about buy that DTM flywheel which is apparently 3.7kg :)

simbadda54
13-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys, cheers

xtercii
14-01-2007, 02:42 AM
I've got a toda flywheel, and I honestly can't think of any disadvantges. It gives you more control at any time because it decelerates and accelerates faster, you use your brake less and the whole driving experience just feels better.

czy_sol87
14-01-2007, 09:00 AM
ive never known a flywheel to be noisey...???
I had a light flywheel in my 180sx but i also ran a twin plate clutch..
The clutch was noisey... not the flywheel.. I think it should be fairly streetable
Im thinking about buy that DTM flywheel which is apparently 3.7kg :)

yeh thats what i've been told about mine as well
the scraping or squealing sound when taking off is my ceramic clutch

wlan-11g
14-01-2007, 09:42 AM

I have a 4.9kg flywheel on a DC2R, and if i were given the choice, i'd go lighter :thumbsup:

bennjamin
14-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I have a 4.9kg flywheel on a DC2R, and if i were given the choice, i'd go lighter :thumbsup:

any lighter would hardly make a difference.

Its the difference between your current (4.9kg) and the stock (6+kg) that made the initial difference :)
BTW for the record i have the exedy race flywheel in my b18c7 , and i love it :)

egSi
14-01-2007, 09:50 AM
i was under the impression that lightened flywheel in a stockish dseries is a bad idea? not enough torque.

is this baloney?

bennjamin
14-01-2007, 09:53 AM
i was under the impression that lightened flywheel in a stockish dseries is a bad idea? not enough torque.

is this baloney?

baloney IMO I had the toda lightweight ~ 3.9kg ~ on a compete stock d16a8. Worked wonders :)
A flywheel does not take away torque. A flywheel is like a giant spring - less weight is quicker to accel. and quicker to decel.It also means you must be more reliant on throttle and correct gear to keep you moving rather than coast along in gear
Think of it as the same as going from 17 inch rims to 14 inch rims.

Hipowerracing
14-01-2007, 10:31 AM
i dont know what you guys are talking about ?? there is no such thing as torque loss with lighten flywheel.. if your car rev faster ...isnt that increase torque??

lighten flywheel is always an excellent upgrade... it will not make you car slower!!

dont believe what you read in forumns or magazine.. try it and feel it for your self..

none of the cars i modify go backwards with a lighten flywheel.. done like 5 cars with jun or ogura lightwieght flywheel.. not once has a customer say it has gone backwards(hondas)

3~5 sr20det with lighten flywheel.. they rev way quicker...

aaronng
14-01-2007, 10:40 AM
These guys just play too much video games. The only place I've seen where it states that you lose torque when going uphill with a lightweight fly is in Gran Turismo. LOL

Zilli
14-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Can someone answer this plz lol

Hey mate

i made some posts in the thread linked below, have a geez at that and if you have any questions let me know

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57797

The noise is basic a buzzing sound which occurs when i am off the gas. This is with a Today fly and sport organix exedy clutch. Kinda sounds like a racing gearbox when i get off the gas compression braking

simbadda54
14-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh cool thanks man, i dun mind having a whiney noise, more noise to cover up my rattles also would make it sound like i got a dogbox haha :)

Zilli
14-01-2007, 02:11 PM
no worries bro

Kazaf
16-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I need my clutch replaced VERY soon.
Looking to get a new lightened flywheel as well.

What would be a good combination?
How much do they roughly cost?

VTi_b0i
16-01-2007, 10:01 AM
bout 400-600 for flywheel depending on brand...i have an Exedy flywheel and im happy with it...

Zilli
16-01-2007, 10:07 AM
kazaf i got the today fly and exedy sports organic from JDM Yard, hit them up for a price, the fly was 550, cant remember the clutch, but it is a great combo

simbadda54
16-01-2007, 12:06 PM
haha hey kazaf, got urself a dc2r now aye. I just bought the fidanza one off JDM Yard, ill let ya know how it goes.

Kazaf
16-01-2007, 04:07 PM
haha hey kazaf, got urself a dc2r now aye. I just bought the fidanza one off JDM Yard, ill let ya know how it goes.

Heya, yeh owned it for a few months now.
Please do let me know how it goes.

Kazaf
17-01-2007, 11:39 AM
What does it mean when it's dynamically balanced?

bennjamin
18-01-2007, 02:58 PM
What does it mean when it's dynamically balanced?

same as a tyre on a wheel is balanced ~ on a lave type device and all imperfections are worked out as the flywheel gains momentum.
I

Zilli
18-01-2007, 05:04 PM
u mean lathe right bennjamin?