PDA

View Full Version : CR-V got rear-ended, then repaired, but now this...

Alpine
13-01-2007, 03:30 PM
My wife's Honda CR-V got rear-ended in late November last year. This was the result:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4863/accident004largeai0.jpg

Took it to a panel shop who fixed it all up in the week before Christmas. I was abit concerned about the timing of the repair coz staff would be in party mode leading up to Christmas in the final week of work but was assured it would be done properly as it is a "small job". The repair job looked OK:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8277/accidentrepairedmediumkg4.jpg

Then there was quite abit of rain on and off for about a week between Christmas and New Year, and then when I washed the car recently I noticed this in the right rear corner of the bumper! Looks like the new paint has flaked off!

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5818/macro001largeqm8.jpg

Not happy... how could this happen??? Was it a dodgy job? Were my fears about doing this work in the week before Christmas justified?

AsH_
13-01-2007, 03:38 PM
farrrked

Ru$kI
13-01-2007, 03:42 PM
dude, that's your clearcoat chipping away...its a giveaway sign of a dodgy repair...did the price they quote you seem less than in other places or they seemed legit?

Alpine
13-01-2007, 03:43 PM
$1550 was the total repair cost paid by insurance.

aaronng
13-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Was it through your repairer or through the insurance's repairer? If it was through a repairer that the insurance company selected, there should be some sort of 6 month to lifetime warranty on the repairs.

Alpine
13-01-2007, 03:50 PM
The insurance's repairer is a mob I do not like so I was recommended this other mob around the corner by someone who swears by them. In any case, the shop has a lifetime warranty on the repair so I will deal with them myself. Not having much luck with bloody cars lately... :(

aaronng
13-01-2007, 04:03 PM
The insurance's repairer is a mob I do not like so I was recommended this other mob around the corner by someone who swears by them. In any case, the shop has a lifetime warranty on the repair so I will deal with them myself. Not having much luck with bloody cars lately... :(

Mob as in mobile repairer? Or mob as in ripoff?

Alpine
13-01-2007, 04:08 PM
mob as in a shop, or group.

aaronng
13-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Ahh, well, if you have lifetime warranty, get them to fix it properly, since it is already after the holidays.

mrwillz
13-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Was it through your repairer or through the insurance's repairer? If it was through a repairer that the insurance company selected, there should be some sort of 6 month to lifetime warranty on the repairs.

if its insruance companies repair centre
it must haf lifetime warranty
at least wif aami its like that

aaronng
13-01-2007, 04:52 PM
if its insruance companies repair centre
it must haf lifetime warranty
at least wif aami its like that

They give you lifetime warranty, otherwise you wouldn't want to repair through the insurance's supercheap discounted repairer. The insurance company has calculated that it's cheaper for them in the long term to send all repairs to a cheap repairer and offer lifetime warranty to fix those few cases where a bodgy job was done, rather than to send all jobs to an expensive, get-it-right-the-first-time repairer.

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 04:53 PM
thats just the clear flaking off.. thats easy to fix :)

mrwillz
13-01-2007, 06:27 PM
well so far wif my first repair wif insurance repairer.. tip top job.
dependant on panel beater itself

Ru$kI
13-01-2007, 07:37 PM
thats just the clear flaking off.. thats easy to fix :)

I thought you had to respray the whole panel + clear all over again to fix it. How much you reckon it'd cost just 4 the clear...coz the same is happening on my drivers side door...but its nowhere near as noticable as that

aaronng
13-01-2007, 07:57 PM
I thought you had to respray the whole panel + clear all over again to fix it. How much you reckon it'd cost just 4 the clear...coz the same is happening on my drivers side door...but its nowhere near as noticable as that
I've seen a spot respray on an arctic blue pearl Euro that was so good that I couldn't tell where the respray met the original paint when in direct sunlight.

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 11:45 PM
there u go :) i gotta do a few spot sprays on my rx7.. got damaged putting it back together :(

Clear isnt expensive... if u go 2pak your lookin at around the 200-300 mark depending on the brands. That includes 4lts of clear (which u wont need.. even 1lt is too much) + your hardener and something else.. forgot what it was called... or u could go acrylic for around 40 bucks a litre

Aaronng: its not hard to do that :) i sprayed my rx7 myself and i shall be sprayin my civic when the rotors finished too :)

Alpine
24-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Remember just before Christmas some ****head reversed into the CRV, then I had a huge battle with the insurance company and lost, and was forced to pay the excess even though it wasn't my fault? Well, the Smash repairs shop fixed up the car but then over New Years the paint started peeling off so I had to take the car back again to get redone, which they did, and then it was finally perfect. This was last week. Now this morning, my bloody wife goes and screws the newly repaired bumper by reversing into a concrete pillar. For ****s sake. More ****ing wasted money on totally unnecessary things!!!!!! And just when I manage to get the car perfect again. I give up