PDA

View Full Version : Tinting Windows !!!

asgr8
13-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi guys .. i got quoted 250 sumthing for tint for my car ... Well the thing is i can get the tinting material fromoverseas .. my friend is coming so he can bring in for me..

Is there any place or any one who can do the tinting for me .. a good one and charge sumthing for his services..
The material will be mine ..
What do u think of this .. Wil it worth it ? or what are ur suggestions...

Shimian
13-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Unless you can get your tint for like $10 and installed for $20 then its not worth it. I got mine done at tint professor a while back for around $250 with unconditional lifetime warranty (not intended to advertise them). Regardless of who you go with, Im sure they will have a lifetime warranty and if your not happy with the tint or maybe they didnt do it right properly the first time (accidental or whatever), they will redo it for you. I think for around $250, go local and get it done.

EuroDude
13-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Be aware that the cheap stuff u get online is usually dodgy and will bubble in a year or so.

imo its better to spend $250 and go with a reputable quality brand like SolarTint which should last the life of the car.

asgr8
13-01-2007, 08:26 PM
HMMMM .. thanks guys ...wwill think abt it .. \

Appreciate ur help

AsH_
13-01-2007, 08:31 PM
wats the darkest legal tint??

wen i was in china, the windows i swear were painted black... so dark

Shimian
13-01-2007, 09:39 PM
darkest legal is 35% for all windows (except for the front which u cant tint). You can get away with doing your rear window 20% aslong as your sides are 35%. I got mine 20% all over cos i thought the 35% looked weak :p

Boban
13-01-2007, 10:02 PM
i got 20% all round too, 35% is crap, it's like there's nothing there. I bought a mazda with it on and i swar you couldn't pick it unless you saw the little sticker in the corner that had the name and 35% on it :p, the tint was old and faded though, but still....35% = crap IMO.

Back on topic, hmmmm have you tried doing it yourself????? It's not as hard as many ppl believe especially if you've seen someone do it b4, but yeah you have to use good material othervise it bubbles as the adhesive is weak in some chaper brands. We did my friends ute with the film you can get from super cheap ($30 square metre i think) but he was selling his car so he didn't care much if it lasted or not. And $250 is reasonable price to pay

defect
14-01-2007, 11:17 AM
had 5% on the sides and 15% on the rear.
seem fine for me, just harder to reverse.

costed me $180 for my s13, life time warranty too.
if you get a mobile dude to come your place and do your tints
they usually charge no more than $250, shops usually charge more because your using their room.

ACTI0NMAN-1
14-01-2007, 11:22 AM
FYI removal of tint should be arrounf $70

Sensei
14-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Got mine done @ Instant Windscreen. Good service and lifetime warranty. Like others have suggested, don't take a risk, get it done locally with warranty.

Note: IF you get darker than legal tint then you can be defected and insurance might not cover you.

marcus
14-01-2007, 12:58 PM
wats the 20-30% stuff confusing...250 is cheap..i gt quoted 295 for solar and 265 for instant...but i do not know the %

Shimian
14-01-2007, 02:20 PM
wats the 20-30% stuff confusing...250 is cheap..i gt quoted 295 for solar and 265 for instant...but i do not know the %

Thats to do with how much light comes in. You can google it and read more about it. Tinting places usually supply you with the darkest legal tint which is 35%.

had 5% on the sides and 15% on the rear.
seem fine for me, just harder to reverse.

I could imagine your ride would look hot. But if you go that low, it may attract the police.

marcus
14-01-2007, 03:59 PM
wat abt the reflective ones??

Hullabaloo
14-01-2007, 04:59 PM
if you're wanting to stay legal, remember that your windows aren't 100% to begin with so if you get 35% tint applied to your windows they might not measure 35%.

Shimian
14-01-2007, 05:38 PM
wat abt the reflective ones??

Im not a fan of the reflective ones. They only work on dark coloured cars. Those attract attention big time :cool:

defect
15-01-2007, 02:59 AM
dark tints dont attract police, its the reflective ones (mirror tints) that do.
my car was a 91 model, there was some rule that if your car is older than an amount of years, its ok.

if you do get pulled over, just make sure both your front windows are down.

Bayani
15-01-2007, 03:57 AM
Mirror Tints : Defect.

35% Tints on a private light vehicle is maximum legal tint.
You may be allowed a darker tint if you have a trade VAN, or you are able to prove that you require it.

Vehicles equipped with a darker tint before 1991 are exempted. Any new tint applied may be a maximum of 35%

mocchi
15-01-2007, 04:16 AM
(melb) i paid my tint for roughly $160.. %20 dark,
went n bought dominos while he was doing it.. took like half an hour or so.
but my car is a hatch though.. so its cheaper.
i can pm for details.

ps.no hes not my family, relative, friend or related to me in anyway (-__-).

thx.

DamienS
15-01-2007, 07:31 AM
I got mine done at Solartint recently, cos I paid cash it was $275. Awesome job with life time warranty. Oh i got the 35%.

Interesting point someone made before about the insurance and legality, cos if you were in an accident and they saw the illegal tint then you car could be deemed unroadworthy. Not sure how an insurance company would react to that, but it could cause additional hassles.

I dont see the point of putting illegal tint on as you could get a cop having a bad day and just decides to defect you for it, whats the point? plus if you go super dark its harder to see out of the car anyway:confused:

Shimian
15-01-2007, 07:52 AM
dark tints dont attract police, its the reflective ones (mirror tints) that do.
my car was a 91 model, there was some rule that if your car is older than an amount of years, its ok.

if you do get pulled over, just make sure both your front windows are down.

Lol, everytime theres a booze bus, i always open my sunroof and a few of my windows to let some light in. This helps it make it look not as dark. Thank god for the drivers side windows controls :angel:

The last time i checked (about 6 months ago), insurance companies will look into the tinting whether its at legal tint if you have an accident. They will screw u up if ur sides are not 35% cos their reason is that you did not see the other party due to the dark tint. It happenend to my friend :eek:

DamienS
15-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Shimian,

so was your friends claim knocked back as a result?

teaseR
15-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Legal tinting is front 75% and rear 35%

I got mine done all at 35% and if i get defect they will take them off and redo the fronts at no charge

Bayani
15-01-2007, 09:16 AM
LEGAL:

Front Windscreen:
You may ONLY have a band at the top, provided it is no more than 10% of the height of the front winscreen, and is not in an area swept by the Wipers.

If Vehicle was registered on or after August 1, 1994:
35% Visible Light Transmission (VLT) Minimum on rear, and sides.

If first registered before August 1, 1994:
35% Visible Light Transmission (VLT) Minimum, unless darker already fitted.

So TeaseR, No. it's is not 75% for the front, if you are refering to the driver and passenger side front door windows.

IndoStyler
15-01-2007, 09:52 AM
LEGAL:

Front Windscreen:
You may ONLY have a band at the top, provided it is no more than 10% of the height of the front winscreen, and is not in an area swept by the Wipers.

If Vehicle was registered on or after August 1, 1994:
35% Visible Light Transmission (VLT) Minimum on rear, and sides.

If first registered before August 1, 1994:
35% Visible Light Transmission (VLT) Minimum, unless darker already fitted.

So TeaseR, No. it's is not 75% for the front, if you are refering to the driver and passenger side front door windows.

hmmm, just wondering where u got this info from....i just wanna read it for myself coz i waqnt to get darker tints:D

Hullabaloo
15-01-2007, 10:28 AM
LEGAL:

unfortunately if you live in South Australia 35% for driver/passenger door is illegal. I assume you don't live in South Australia, but if you do the official wording is : "The driver and front passenger windows must have a luminous transmittance of at least 70%".

http://www.raa.net/page.asp?TerID=315
http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/reports/CASR002.pdf
http://www.iwfaa.com.au/

can't seem to find the Transport SA page that has it. Check with your local authority if you're not in SA.

Shimian
15-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Shimian,

so was your friends claim knocked back as a result?

He ended up paying extra. Something like 30% of the cost of damage since it wasnt his fault but the tint was a factor according to the insurance.

Boban
15-01-2007, 03:11 PM
You may be allowed a darker tint if you have a trade VAN, or you are able to prove that you require it.

So if i say i like to play with myself in the car, do you guys think i can get away with darker windows????:p

Shimian
15-01-2007, 03:21 PM
So if i say i like to play with myself in the car, do you guys think i can get away with darker windows????:p

Why would you need tinting then? Show everyone ur goods :p

asgr8
15-01-2007, 04:51 PM
maybe he doesnot have the goods to show offf..

.. chill .. just kidding .

Boban
15-01-2007, 08:12 PM
hahahaha, i like to do it privately, not much for public exibitions

Bayani
15-01-2007, 11:54 PM
hmmm, just wondering where u got this info from....i just wanna read it for myself coz i waqnt to get darker tints:D

NSW Residents, Window Tinting regulations can be found here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi03_rev3.pdf

Bayani
16-01-2007, 12:00 AM
unfortunately if you live in South Australia 35% for driver/passenger door is illegal. I assume you don't live in South Australia, but if you do the official wording is : "The driver and front passenger windows must have a luminous transmittance of at least 70%".

can't seem to find the Transport SA page that has it. Check with your local authority if you're not in SA.

It would appear the SA is more strict on Window tinting than the rest of the nation, as all other Road authorities state 35% on windows all around, windscreen exempt.

There are other factors considered when these regulations come into play, such as Police safety. In the United states, tinting regulations were tighted as police were not able to view the cabin of the vehicle during the night.

Shimian
16-01-2007, 12:22 AM
hahahaha, i like to do it privately, not much for public exibitions

lol, i still promised my gf to makeout with her in my car cos she got the tint for me. :p Theres a possibility that the leather might get damaged during the makeout. Hmm, hard choice, makeout or protect the leather? :confused:

defect
16-01-2007, 01:05 AM
I dont see the point of putting illegal tint on as you could get a cop having a bad day and just decides to defect you for it, whats the point? plus if you go super dark its harder to see out of the car anyway:confused:

i've had no trouble with the police, they mention the tints were dark but didnt defect me for it, my previous car was all black too.
personal choice i guess, but more because 35% tints dont do anything for the car and the point is so people cant see you from the outside

i can see the point of keeping the car legal for insurance reasons too. alot of jap cars comes with redicuous dark tints, they only remove the front ones when they get registered, could be wrong though..

Bayani
16-01-2007, 02:35 AM
i've had no trouble with the police, they mention the tints were dark but didnt defect me for it, my previous car was all black too.
personal choice i guess, but more because 35% tints dont do anything for the car and the point is so people cant see you from the outside

i can see the point of keeping the car legal for insurance reasons too. alot of jap cars comes with redicuous dark tints, they only remove the front ones when they get registered, could be wrong though..

Police still hold discretion about writing out a defect. He obviously knows it's too dark. He's being nice and giving you a subtle hint. :)

Tinting provides glare protection from light, keeps the car cooler too. It's not just to keep people from looking inside.

It does work against the driver though, preventing the driver from a clear view of their environment during night-driving.

IndoStyler
16-01-2007, 09:25 AM
NSW Residents, Window Tinting regulations can be found here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi03_rev3.pdf

Thanks 4 the info Bayani:D

easybreezey
16-01-2007, 11:46 PM
anyone has pics of their 35% tints? looking to re-new my tinting very soon.

Shimian
16-01-2007, 11:59 PM
anyone has pics of their 35% tints? looking to re-new my tinting very soon.

I dont have a pic of 35% tint but just rock up to a tint professor and all their courtesy cars (Hyundai) are 35%. You can sit in one and see for yourself.

marcus
17-01-2007, 12:40 AM
any one gt 20% pics??do they do 25 or 30% or they juz do 35% and the next lowest is 20% ??

Shimian
17-01-2007, 07:20 AM
This is 20% taken in my garage at night with a light on. So its similar to when ur driving outdoors at night. When im driving at night, you cannot see into the back passenger at all. You can see very minimal of the front windows due to the lights coming from the console and the windshield. When I get a moment, ill take one outdoors during daytime.

http://members.optushome.com.au/~shimian8/11.JPG

marcus
17-01-2007, 09:22 AM
This is 20% taken in my garage at night with a light on. So its similar to when ur driving outdoors at night. When im driving at night, you cannot see into the back passenger at all. You can see very minimal of the front windows due to the lights coming from the console and the windshield. When I get a moment, ill take one outdoors during daytime.

http://members.optushome.com.au/~shimian8/11.JPG

do u get pull over by the police??or any probs??all round 20%??20% seems cool...i dun think i go beyond that..it be too much...are there anyone with 25% or 30% samples??

marabaan
17-01-2007, 01:29 PM
i had 15% metallic on my old car...
and im getting it done on my civic
it was well worth it
i have been pulled over so many times but they never said anything about the tint.
and the best thing about em is that no one can c in unless u go up really close and put ur head on the glass...

DamienS
17-01-2007, 02:56 PM
it was well worth it
i have been pulled over so many times but they never said anything about the tint.
and the best thing about em is that no one can c in unless u go up really close and put ur head on the glass...

Why risk it having a car that is not road worthy just cos of your tint??????

If you get in an accident and you need to look at insurance there is the possibility a claim could be denied due to the vehicle not be road worthy??
I just dont see why you would take that risk??

And if you think that any claim wont be much, here is an example.

One of our clients that I deal with has got a Bently Continental, someone has backed into it at a car park and owned up to it, fairly minor damage, repair bill $60,000 (rear wing on the bentley was damaged as well as paint work)

marcus
17-01-2007, 03:48 PM
it was well worth it

gosh tats cool..15% metallic same as the 15% tint ???

Shimian
17-01-2007, 04:52 PM
do u get pull over by the police??or any probs??all round 20%??20% seems cool...i dun think i go beyond that..it be too much...are there anyone with 25% or 30% samples??

Nah, police say nothing cos mine isnt that dark. I think it should be the norm, cos 35% doesnt block out jack. Ive compared both by parking my car and my gf who has 35% with one side facing the sun. Sat in it and looked at the sun. I found it hard to stare at the sun in my gf but mine i could watch it all night. I get pulled over by the booze bus and nothing happens. 20% is acceptable during the day, but at night, its almost black. You can do naughty things in the back seat and no one will see u :p

DamienS
17-01-2007, 09:17 PM
gosh tats cool..15% metallic same as the 15% tint ???

Yep both illegal when on the street :confused:

Vinnie
17-01-2007, 09:27 PM
another pretty obvious thing i guess but i was looking at gettin a darker tink last year but then noticed my car already had a faint tint on it (i dont know if its factory or not) so then i wooda had to have paid quite a bit more to have it completely removed first... i know its a pretty dumb point but i hadnt even bothered to look or consider it. :(

Bayani
18-01-2007, 04:48 PM
They usually do removal free, vinnie.

marcus
18-01-2007, 06:14 PM

not all ...i was quoted $100 for removals...

Shimian
18-01-2007, 06:42 PM
a stock car has very minimal tinting. Save the $100. You will not a problem if you go with 35% tint.

Dash
19-01-2007, 11:56 AM
take off ya door trim...and remove ya window...not dat hard to do...

its not hard to scrape off tint...jus use a spatular...and a damp cloth...

Vinnie
20-01-2007, 02:31 AM

i was quoted $100+ for removal when i was making enquires at well known tinting places here in bris. if u know of one that does it for free ide like to get their name :)

edw-R
20-01-2007, 04:39 AM
Where can i do the tinting in Brisbane? I want some have reflection. Like mirror.

Bayani
20-01-2007, 04:46 AM
i was quoted $100+ for removal when i was making enquires at well known tinting places here in bris. if u know of one that does it for free ide like to get their name :)

I'm down in Syd, sorry bud.
I was getting quotes back in 2004 for tinting, asked about removals too. Just a matter of finding someone who won't. :)

Bayani
20-01-2007, 04:47 AM
Where can i do the tinting in Brisbane? I want some have reflection. Like mirror.

Defect.

defect
20-01-2007, 11:21 AM
everybody's cars a defect but it looks good and maybe we arent insured.

Bayani
21-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Not everyones, lol :)

You may not be insured, but after you change langs, and because of your 15% tint, you fail to see a car in your blind spot, you kill a father, make a vegetable out of the mother, and leave the girl and son in critical conditions.. you'd want to have deep pockets for medical & court costs.

Defect for a reason.

Shimian
21-01-2007, 05:50 PM
In my opinion, 20% is the lowest i would go. You can see very well at night. I have no probs. Anything lower would probably be something like driving a 35% tinted car at night wearing sunnies.

marcus
21-01-2007, 05:52 PM
i think i may go for 25% or 30%...went down to shop on fri...35% nt much diff with weather like 40degrees and the hot sun rays glaring

teaseR
25-01-2007, 10:55 AM

thanks buddy
ur the man

suspicious1
06-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I had metallic / mirror tints. 15% all round (except front) on my old car.

I've had it for 3 years and never had a problem with cops.

--Edit--

Below is a pic of my old car with the 15% tints. I think it looks great with mirror/metallic tints...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/98653239_08f3711def.jpg?v=0

defect
07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
yea I got 5% on my sides, 15% on the rear and thats how I've done every car.

I have been pulled over many times and they never mention anything about my tints. in the sense where your changing lanes and you cant see the car on the other lane, you gotta be pretty damn blind not to see their headlights while driving.

yes for insurance reasons, probably wise to keep it 35% (and get baked).

easybreezey
07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Nice suspicious1, how much did it cost to do yours and where from? Did you have to pay extra for removal?

suspicious1
07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Nice suspicious1, how much did it cost to do yours and where from? Did you have to pay extra for removal?

Hey mate, thanks!

yeah the tints.. They have lifetime warrenty, garunteed to never fade or bubble.

I got them from Premier Tint at Elizabeth Dr, Liverpool (SYD). A lot of people recommended I go there...

I paid $320 for it.. Thought it was a bit pricey, but hey you pay for quality. I can look directly into the sun in it without squinting, and the car interior stays so cool when parked out in the sun. :cool:

I think I made the right choice with these tints :thumbsup:

nugget1
14-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi Guys,
Just pricing tinting in Perth, Instant windscreens $335 for 35%, $375 for 20%, he'd do 35% front 20% rear for $350, come's with lifetime warranty and they also have a $25. off voucher on there website. Tint-a-car was $375 and would only do 35%. I've only got a coupe so prices would be a little more for a 4 door maybe. The sample 35% they gave me looks like it'll be dark enough so I'll go with that.
Nugget1

kazam
15-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Hay buddy if your in sydney i no this guy that does 35% for only $180 and he gives lifetime warranty and comes to your home, i have 35% on a white car and it actually doesnt look that bad, they also do 20% (which is defect) for $200, and also 5% for a little more, so if anyone is interested in that fling me a pm and i let u no the number..

but 35% which is the legal limit doesn't really look that bad, but if your getting full insurance then watchout because they might not accept it if u have defect tints.

nugget1
15-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Kazam,
Someone told me Perth is one of the most expensive cities in the world, it wouldn't suprise me! With the $25 off from Instant it's $315 which is $50 cheaper than the other 2 quotes I got so I'm getting it done tomorrow. I got no tint on there at the moment so should be a big improvement.
Nugget1

Riviera
15-02-2007, 07:48 PM
mioght get some cheap tint and do it myself cant be too hard... gotta be similar to laying vinyl, and ive laid alot of vinyl :thumbdwn:

defect
15-02-2007, 08:18 PM
yeh just make sure you mould the tint on the glass before before trying to stick it on. and a real good clean to prevent any dust from collecting.

Riviera
15-02-2007, 09:17 PM
i know all too well about dust collection lol i do signage fkin happens on light boxes sumtimes gotta take it off and start again

nugget1
16-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty happy with the tint, 35% is not a bad look, here's a before and after pic.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/nugget-2007/ej8.jpg

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/nugget-2007/ejtint.jpg

JasonGilholme
16-02-2007, 05:18 PM
its definately possible to DIY your own tinting. Just make sure you know how its done and you know the methods that the pro's use. Also make sure you don't get crappy materials. Buy some proper professional grade tint and do ya car. Then with the left overs, do ya mates for cheap and make your money back on the roll :thumbsup:

kazam
16-02-2007, 06:51 PM
hay nugget the tint looks hot man, well up

Riviera
16-02-2007, 07:17 PM
haha i saw some real dodgey gold tints in a forester today was like homebrand hard out it was like 20mm from the edge of the window cut back and it looks like the blade was blunt by the end cause it was all crinkled shiz... :thumbdwn:

are coloured mirror tints legal? how does it work, ive seen plenty of vehicles with em....

are u allowed em as long as its not the front windows or front windows have to be down when driving with them ???

EGchick
16-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Anyone know anywhere in Melb who will do 15% all round? I found someone to do mirror tintin in Gtown I guess I coulda asked them..

sthum
17-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I got 35% (side and rear) done for my car at like $330. I was expecting the 35% to be darker but still pretty happy with it, but i think i'd go with 20% next time.