PDA

View Full Version : recaro seats in a civic

mlv11n
15-01-2007, 07:17 AM
i have a friend who has a 99 civic hatch and has recently bought recaro seats, i think off an integra. we had problems putting it in coz the rails wouldn't match. is there anybody here that could help me with this problem?

Zdster
15-01-2007, 08:02 AM
He will need to get ek9 recaro rails or alternatively modify the dc2 rails to fit the ek (however you need to get a engineers certificate for this).

mlv11n
15-01-2007, 08:24 AM
He will need to get ek9 recaro rails or alternatively modify the dc2 rails to fit the ek (however you need to get a engineers certificate for this).

rityo thanks heaps

muhhan
15-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Other alternatives are to purchase aftermarket rails specifically for EK from companies like Bride or to get a place to fabricate rails for you using Recaro sliders and customs mounts, although this will also need to be certified so that it meets standards and can be quite costly.

You can try wreckers for the EK9 rails. Btw, EK9 is the Civic Type R (in case you didn't know). The holes on the bottom of the Recaros are the same for both cars.

mlv11n
15-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Other alternatives are to purchase aftermarket rails specifically for EK from companies like Bride or to get a place to fabricate rails for you using Recaro sliders and customs mounts, although this will also need to be certified so that it meets standards and can be quite costly.

You can try wreckers for the EK9 rails. Btw, EK9 is the Civic Type R (in case you didn't know). The holes on the bottom of the Recaros are the same for both cars.

yeah i have looked into getting ones custom made but im too busy to go around places so i thought id buy one already made. thanks for clearing up the ek9 model too by the way! was about to go google it :thumbsup:

JasonGilholme
15-01-2007, 08:39 AM
If the seats originally came out of a honda, you may be able to swap the seat pan from the civic seat on the integra recaros and then you won't have to spend any money at all.

This is the method people use to get s2000 seats into a crx.

Jase

mlv11n
15-01-2007, 08:43 AM
ok... wats a seat pan? if u have reference that i could look at thatd be much appreciated...

sivic
15-01-2007, 10:57 AM
i'm not sure that would work. pretty sure it only applies with actual honda seats, not recaros
finding a place to make/modify rails can be hard nowadays due to the ever increasing legal issues surrounding liability if the rails fail.
easiest option is just to get some EK9 rails or other specific ones. BRIDE do very nice solid rails to suit recaros. usually looking at about $500ish a pair

tRipitaka
15-01-2007, 05:32 PM
If the seats originally came out of a honda, you may be able to swap the seat pan from the civic seat on the integra recaros and then you won't have to spend any money at all.

This is the method people use to get s2000 seats into a crx.

Jase

i don't think recaros come with a seat pan..

JasonGilholme
15-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Well usually the seat pan goes between the seat and the rails.

If its got one give it a try, it it doesn't your up for some new rails. Don't skimp out on them either, you don't wanna go flying through the windscreen in a crash.

sivic
15-01-2007, 07:57 PM
only thing is the recaros weren't made specifically for honda, they were retrofitted. all recaros of a certain model eg. SRx are the same regardless of what car they go into (ITR, EVO's etc). they need car specific rails

eitherway as metioned they don't have a seatpan. they have a frame which has a rubber mat strung between it. so the seatpan swap is a no go.

going to have to get new rails

rivergod
16-01-2007, 11:36 AM
you guys make it sound so easy

... all this time i thought that youd have to get custom made rails [not necessarily bride or recaro etc...] but that youd have to go somewhere to get them custom fitted, welded and fitted again.

i could be wrong but if im right, you're looking at about $350-400 per seat.

Leprechaun
16-01-2007, 12:43 PM
is it the same story for egs?

sivic
16-01-2007, 12:45 PM
well, if you decide to get some new rails - lets say a pair of BRIDE RO rails to suit an EK (these are what i would recommend as they are a single unit - each slider is attached to a single frame - per seat rather than a separate rail for each side of the seat and are very solid). you should be able to get a pair for about $600. so will be about $300 per seat and this will be a bolt on affair which will be done within an hour with no fabrication and stuffing around needed.
other options are of course OEM recaro rails (nearly $400 per side when i checked with honda), vision rails and i'm sure some others

sivic
16-01-2007, 12:45 PM
EG's can use the DC2R rails as DC2's and EG's have same floor pan

muhhan
16-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I have a pair of Bride rails that are quite a bit lower than stock (came with the seats) and I find that they are quite stiff, especially once they are bolted into the car. I had to put washers between the rails and the floorpan to space out the mounts otherwise I couldn't even move the seat back and forth. Not sure why this is the case as the mounting holes match up with the stock rails. Maybe they just need to be broken in?!?

Btw, you may need to do slight modification to the seat belt clasp. The stock ones have a little hook where they sit into a slot on the stock rails. My Bride rails didn't accommodate for this so I had to bend it off and tidy up the jagged edge with a file.

I was quoted $390 per seat for custom fabrication and that was using Recaro runners, so $780 for both unless your passenger has to ride in a crappy stock seat.

roar
16-01-2007, 10:50 PM
you're all being ridiculous...

jdmyard can get you in vision seat rails for ek civics for about $200 up

don't go retrofitting this and that...just get a rail that was made for the job

roar
16-01-2007, 10:51 PM
oh wait yer...thats already been said...my bad

tRipitaka
16-01-2007, 11:07 PM
you're all being ridiculous...

jdmyard can get you in vision seat rails for ek civics for about $200 up

don't go retrofitting this and that...just get a rail that was made for the job

200 per side, so 400 all up

mlv11n
17-01-2007, 07:02 AM
i'm not sure that would work. pretty sure it only applies with actual honda seats, not recaros
finding a place to make/modify rails can be hard nowadays due to the ever increasing legal issues surrounding liability if the rails fail.
easiest option is just to get some EK9 rails or other specific ones. BRIDE do very nice solid rails to suit recaros. usually looking at about $500ish a pair

yeah that was the quote I got for two rails. he got the seats cheap anyway so i'm sure he'll go with it... really he's got no choice anyway...

thanks for all your input guys

mlv11n
17-01-2007, 07:03 AM
200 per side, so 400 all up

how do i find this jdmyard?

bennjamin
17-01-2007, 07:06 AM
how do i find this jdmyard?

click " yonas@jdmyard.com " to send JDM yard a email.
Ask "Yonas" for what you need ~ he will sort you out

mlv11n
17-01-2007, 07:30 AM
click " yonas@jdmyard.com " to send JDM yard a email.
Ask "Yonas" for what you need ~ he will sort you out

much appreciated buddy