PDA

View Full Version : EG SI and VTI same clutch and fly wheel ?

EG5[KRT]
15-01-2007, 12:58 PM
is the clutch and fly wheel from an EG VTI same as a EG SI ??

VTi_b0i
15-01-2007, 01:07 PM
it indeed is...

bennjamin
15-01-2007, 03:32 PM
No , its not the same.

Si flywheel / clutch dimensions = 200 X 22 X 20

vti flywheel / clutch dimensions = 212 x 22 x 20

Mostly compatible, but to answer the question they are NOT the same.

VTi_b0i
15-01-2007, 03:34 PM
:O ohh sorry my bad but i was told that they were the same :S

simonk
09-02-2007, 06:03 PM
No , its not the same.

Ben - is that just the clutch face, or is the ring gear a different diameter too?

JasonGilholme
09-02-2007, 06:30 PM
How about finding the engine numbers for these cars. It makes life soo much easier

simonk
09-02-2007, 06:48 PM
How about finding the engine numbers for these cars. It makes life soo much easier

OK :)

I've got D16A8 2001212 and D15B4 1003241

I want to know if a DTM lightweight flywheel will work on both of them, I'm told that the gearbox is compatible...

I'm transplanting the D16A8 in place of the D15B4, using the D15 (AWD) gearbox, and hopefully this lightweight flywheel

is that enough info? I'm a bit of a honda virgin, so be gentle

JasonGilholme
09-02-2007, 06:52 PM
ahh ok.

Have a search because, if i remember rightly, you need to use the fly wheel from the engine and the clutch from teh gearbox. providing that the clutch as a smaller circumference then the flywheel?

might be wrong but have a search. i remember it coming up somewhere. Wasn't too long ago either.

Good luck man.

simonk
09-02-2007, 07:53 PM
ahh ok.

Have a search because, if i remember rightly, you need to use the fly wheel from the engine and the clutch from teh gearbox. providing that the clutch as a smaller circumference then the flywheel?

might be wrong but have a search. i remember it coming up somewhere. Wasn't too long ago either.

Good luck man.

good idea.... I think I found the thread you were talking about... it's this one:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55577&highlight=gearbox+flywheel+engine

then looking at the Exedy site, it tells me what clutch I should use, and decodes that sizing for me, the clutch to suit my gearbox is 200X22X21, being the size, the spline OD, and the number of teeth.... but what I'm still not sure of is if any D series flywheel will go on any D series motor

unfortunately I didn't get a flywheel with my D16, but I have the one for my D15, still with the gearbox attached to it - maybe I'm just gonna have to split the box off and swap the flywheel over to the D16 see for myself

PS: here's my clutch kit
http://www.exedy.com.au/catalogue-details.asp?id=38998646

bennjamin
09-02-2007, 10:31 PM
simon , ive been led to believe Any D series flywheel will suit any D series gearbox application. Its the clutch kits (as i described above) that are different in size / dimensions.
Also , the ealier cable clutched D series have different sized clutch + pressure plate too but again the same flywheel.

sivic
09-02-2007, 10:37 PM
No , its not the same.

I used 212x22x20 toda flywheel on my Si.
was the same part number for all hydro tranny D-series for both the clutch and flywheel.
wouldn't the inner splines of the flywheel have to match the engine and the outer to match the clutch/gearbox?

bennjamin
09-02-2007, 10:39 PM
I used 212x22x20 toda flywheel on my Si.
was the same part number for all hydro tranny D-series for both the clutch and flywheel.
wouldn't the inner splines of the flywheel have to match the engine and the outer to match the clutch/gearbox?

There are no splines on the flywheel. Its a small hole where the pilot bearing (flywheel bearing) sits in , then the input shaft sits in.
The flywheel is held to the crank end , via 6 17mm star spoked bolts :)

simonk
09-02-2007, 10:42 PM
simon , ive been led to believe Any D series flywheel will suit any D series gearbox application. Its the clutch kits (as i described above) that are different in size / dimensions.
Also , the ealier cable clutched D series have different sized clutch + pressure plate too but again the same flywheel.

yeah, it's you who led me to believe the same thing Ben.... I just split the box off the D15 and took the flywheel off and put it on the D16, mounts up the same, doesn't foul anything so I think it's a goer - and my back is now killing me cos those bolts must be done up to 90ft/lb - bastard things, I'm gonna be sore in the morning :(

next thing is ditching the cable clutch for a hydraulic one, but that's a different topic ;)

thanks all :)