PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard lights '98 civic

steve88
15-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey guys i got a 98 civic and i notice my fuel light doesnt switch on when low on petrol (i even ran it dry no luck).. so obviously lights probably blown, any idea how too take out my dashboard and replace the globe?

TypeRice
21-01-2007, 09:34 AM
unscrew the screws.

it might also not be the globe.. it could be that the wire for the fuel warning light is loose or not connected under the dash..

steve88
21-01-2007, 05:40 PM
but which ones release the actual speedo etc. ones quickest? i for example ripped out half my dashboard too replace my deck only too realise u can get nearby ones.

blk_shadow
21-01-2007, 06:43 PM
but which ones release the actual speedo etc. ones quickest? i for example ripped out half my dashboard too replace my deck only too realise u can get nearby ones.

there are 2 screws on the top that you need to unscrew first and take out the plastic surround, before getting the other 4 screws that holds the cluster

gxiang
21-01-2007, 06:55 PM
its probably not your bulb but your wires not connected properly...i get the same thing but my bulb is fine. let me know how you fix it

Yasakani
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
there are 2 screws on the top that you need to unscrew first and take out the plastic surround, before getting the other 4 screws that holds the cluster

Hi, I see that this is an oldish thread, just want to know:
I'm assuming that the 98 civic dash is same as a vti-r civic coupe.
After you unscrew the first 2 screws (the ones where you have to look up from underneath), when you take out the GREY plastic surround, does it come straight out? Or is it attached to the CLEAR plastic cover. I'm asking because somebody told me in another thread that there are tabs on the clear cover, and could easily break in the process.
If so, how would you advise to remove them without breaking the tabs?

Cheers.

blk_shadow
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi, I see that this is an oldish thread, just want to know:
I'm assuming that the 98 civic dash is same as a vti-r civic coupe.
After you unscrew the first 2 screws (the ones where you have to look up from underneath), when you take out the GREY plastic surround, does it come straight out? Or is it attached to the CLEAR plastic cover. I'm asking because somebody told me in another thread that there are tabs on the clear cover, and could easily break in the process.

Cheers.

yep, they are the same.
the way to take out the grey plastic surround is by gently press the top bit first and pull it out slowly (again, from the top first). don't do it from the bottom.

the clear plastic is attached to the actual speedo itself. Once you've removed the grey surround, you'll see 2 screws at the top and 2 screws at the bottom holding the speedo in place.

after the speedo's out (after unplugging the 3 plugs behind it as well), if you still want to remove the clear plastic, be gentle, cos yes, the tab is easily snap.

hope this helps

blk_shadow
09-05-2007, 10:11 PM

the tabs are like snap-lock tabs, to remove it, just gently push the tabs out of the plastic brackets one by one and at the same time. Don't pull it with just one or two tabs out of the brackets.

Yasakani
10-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Cheers blk_shadow. Might change the colour of the lights once i get some time.

Oh yeah, I found a guide with several pictures on honda-acura.net, seemed pretty thorough. Was for the USDM VTI-R coupe (Civic Si). Although that thread is more aimed for people who want to change the colour of the cluster, it did show how to disassemble the gauge etc so could still be useful.

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257980&referrerid=49097
scroll down about 1/3 of the way.

blk_shadow
10-05-2007, 11:12 PM
have fun with it.

post some photos after changing the light's colour :)