PDA

View Full Version : J's racing intake (whale penis)

xtc.thai
15-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, i recently installed one of these and im very happy with the sound it makes and the throttle response is so much better, but there is one thing im very concerned about..the pod sits next to both radiator hoses and the headers..

i been searching multiple forums about how to reduce the heat around the intake but none of them show how to make a custom box for it in a dc2 vtir

ive thought about wrapping my headers and radiator hoses but i dont know where to get them..and also a pipe thats used for ducted heating which you can get from bunnings and run it from under the car facing forwards behind my grill on the bumper and straight through under the pod..

whats the best way to get cold air into this thing?

ekhybrid
15-01-2007, 11:16 PM
u can pick up heat wrap from rare spares

xtc.thai
16-01-2007, 04:03 PM
nvm im just gonna make a custom box n piping

Limbo
16-01-2007, 08:27 PM
i believe the Carbon fibre of the J's orignal will protect the whale penis itself from heat but i would create a box for the filter or try blocking it from the rest of the engine bay at the least

muhhan
16-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Have you ever fibreglassed before? If not search this forum and the net for fibreglassing tutorials. It's generally a matter of creating a template out of cardboard then once you have a mock up of your box you basically lay down the fibreglass. It you want a smooth finish then use body filler to fill in the rough fibreglass surface.

With an air box you'll have to make consideration as to how you'll mount it in the engine bay, how you'll seal the lid, and how you'll plump in a cold air feed.

xtc.thai
16-01-2007, 11:02 PM
hmm so fibre glass is really good to rid heat from the headers n all ? if so then i might get a friend to help me make a custom box for it .. for the cold air feed ill use a piping like i mentioned in my first post

muhhan
16-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Aluminium should reflect the heat as the heat in the engine bay is radiated heat, but then having a fibreglass middle layer will help prevent the heat transferring into the box as it doesn't conduct the heat. You can get even fancier and line the inside with an insulating foam to insulate the box further.