PDA

View Full Version : my dc2 vtir playing up

CL455
15-01-2007, 09:56 PM
hey guys... need some help again.... a few months ago i had a starting issue and turned out to be the coil that needed to be replaced... anyways i replaced it and it ran perfect like a dream again...

anyways i dont drive the car much ... so every now and again i start it and run it around the block .. in mid dec i had the car on the road for a week and i went for about a 20 min drive .. came back stopped at a friends house .. went to start it and it started .. idle'd for about a sec and it died .. didn't wanna start again...

anyways i left it towed it back to my house and haven't touched it again till today i went to start it .. perfect started then as it started to idle 2 secs later it immediatly stopped ... just died then as again wouldn't start again..

i haven't had any problems with my car up untill i had to replace the coil ... any idea's ?? i checked spark it's sparking so that's fine... seems to be getting fuel but not 100% sure any help would be great

thanks in advance

Mr_will
15-01-2007, 10:19 PM
well if you are getting spark, it could be a fuel issue?

fuel lines, fuel filter.
throttle position sensor
idle adjustment maybe?

CL455
16-01-2007, 06:06 AM
i'll check the fuel lines and see if it's getting any fuel ... but i just found it very strange that if i leave it for a while ... it'll start 1st go then after idleing for about 2 secs it'll stop and die in the ass...

bennjamin
16-01-2007, 06:22 AM
sounds like main relay. When this is faulty it gives a similar situation ~
OR could be the igniter unit or igniter coil ( inside the distributor)

CL455
16-01-2007, 06:53 AM
i changed the ignitor coil a few months ago and i checked it this time to ... looked fine... and it's getting spark.. so i dont think it's anything to do with that this time ...

Mr_will
16-01-2007, 09:14 AM
sounds like main relay. When this is faulty it gives a similar situation

not sure if its the same here, but in da9's, when the main relay is ****ed, you arent usually able to get it started at all, and its characterised by one click (start of priming) then lack of the second click, which would normally indicate that it had finished priming - i guess im saying if it was main relay i dont think it would start at all?

bennjamin
16-01-2007, 09:16 AM
i guess im saying if it was main relay i dont think it would start at all?

the main relay gets faulty , before getting "FCKED" :)
The solder points wear down , and when heated up fail etc. Giving the "start , stop" syndrome.
Its an idea ! Since the car is turning over but not starting , and this controls fuel + spark , i say check it out atleast :thumbsup:

CL455
16-01-2007, 10:15 AM
cool main rely looks like the 1st place i'm gonna have a look at...

just now for the stupid question where abouts would i find the main rely.. lol

TheSaint
16-01-2007, 02:31 PM
mine did this the other day after i put fuel in =/

after a few goes it jumped back to life and its never done it again scince hrm...

hondaracermd
30-01-2007, 02:15 PM
ive replaced the main fuel relay on a 92 teg, and when it gets faulty, from my understanding, the problem is with starting the car, not having the car die after getting started. mine was going bad and on hot days would not start until the interior temps cooled down. not sure if there is a difference between gen 2 and gen 3 in this regard. just my 2 cents worth.

xtc.thai
30-01-2007, 04:05 PM
there u go this might help ya mate =]

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31796

CL455
30-01-2007, 04:58 PM
nice... i might actually give this a go now that i have a guide... but would like to know can u actually buy a new main rely to replace the hole thing rather then re-soldering it

TheSaint
31-01-2007, 01:19 AM
wierd mine did this again the other day a few times... third time it took almost 5min to start and get running without falling out on me... =/

Mugen boy
31-01-2007, 11:34 AM
This may sound like a weird fix, but i had the same issue with my gsi a couple months ago , turned out it was a faulty ignition barrel( where you put the key) the connections in it had worn out , causing the car to start fine then die in the ass shortly after the key returned to the on position from the start position.

dont know but you may have the same issue

bal
31-01-2007, 12:40 PM
are you getting any error codes on your ECU? this will help you to check that
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218

what petrol are you using??

i had a similar problem with my eg turned out to be bad petrol.
try syphoning the petrol and using a different petrol, dont do what i did and spend all soughts of cash replacing different bits when it could be something so simple and cheap.

if thats all good then do what the others have said start at the main relay and go from there.

CL455
31-01-2007, 08:12 PM
yea me and a mate have tried the error codes and nothing comes up which is strange :S

qstoria
31-01-2007, 10:42 PM
when u get it fixed try using a diffent petrol i have been using BP ultimate for ages but lately the car has been playing up with it i switched to Caltex and Mobil and now car runs fine, i took my car to mechanic when it just died one day and he said that bad petrol can casue starting issues worked for me.

good luck on getting it fixed.

TheSaint
31-01-2007, 11:14 PM
i use caltex vortex - seems to be ok stuff

CL455
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
i've never had any problems with bad petrol b4 .... only bad thing is that the car has like half a tank in there at the moment i can't remember wat i filled it up with last cause i dont drive the car alot lol

rtype
01-02-2007, 12:43 PM
So how did you go???? did you check the FUEL FILTER, how old is it (kms)? it could be clogged too .

CL455
08-02-2007, 02:33 AM
just a update.... had a mate come over tonight and tried a few more things... tested the spark again.. bit weak but that's prolly cause the battery is not charged properly cause i had the power pack on it...

took the fuel line off.... no pressure in it tried to start it with the line off... nothing at all.... no fuel ... :(

took apart the back seat tested the power to the fuel pump and there was power going to it ... so only thing we could think of is the fuel pump is dead... so going to replace it and try again...

i dont think it's anything electrical cause i tried to start it again this time and it didn't even start like the last time i tried....

well i'm gonna get a stock fuel pump.. new one and we'll see how we go .. anyone else have or heard of a similar problem happening????

CL455
09-02-2007, 02:44 PM
got the new fuel pump in this afternoon and turned the key ... bang it fired up like it was new :D

i love the car again LOL ...

thanks everyone for the suggestions and help with the car.... ended up being a completely dead fuel pump