PDA

View Full Version : heat wrap

ekhybrid
15-01-2007, 11:10 PM
has any1 wrapped their radiator hose in heat wrap?
if so, have u come across any problems?
would this put more strain on the radiator since it will retain the heat in the hose?

Mr_will
15-01-2007, 11:18 PM
why are you thinking of doing this? the radiator hose is, as the name suggests, a HOSE, and thus made of rubber...

ekhybrid
15-01-2007, 11:22 PM
wtf u on about?
i want to do it so i can keep under bonnet temps down...

kn1ghtm4r3
15-01-2007, 11:24 PM
there are also silicon hoses =)

ekhybrid
15-01-2007, 11:25 PM
pwned

Mr_will
16-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I just dont see why you would bother - rubber is a pretty good insulator for heat as is, youre not going t o achieve much by heat wrapping them - if they were made of steel, sure, but theyre not.

better off getting a low temp thermostat. or even a scoop, despite the fact that it would look lame

Limbo
16-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't see any problem with your thought. Keeping heat down will always help. I think the main factor people don't do it is that there is minimal gain but greater costs.

ALso i think if you used something like insulator like the foil type with the roof insulator it would be cheaper and more effective. Just like how they wrap airconditioner pipes

Larger fan on the raditor would also help

ekhybrid
16-01-2007, 10:59 PM
thnx for ur input limbo
its just that i have spare heat wrap so i was considering the above

panda[cRx]
17-01-2007, 04:34 PM
i wouldnt bother
also i would think if you covered it in a foil type insulation that as the foil heats up on longish drives the foil would just radiate the temp more than it would with bare rubber.

if you are concerned with engine bay temps affecting your air intake your money would be better invested in the methods mentioned above or in custom airbox/heatshield for your intake.... or u could cut one of those gay intake holes in your front bumper :rolleyes: