PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Overfill

ian
16-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Are there any detrimental effects of having more oil in your engine? ie oil level noticeable above dipstick line.

SLOWEGG
16-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Im not to sure but it isnt very good. If the oil splashes and hits your crank, it will wreck your crank bearings or something along those lines. But ive been told not to overfill.

fatboyz39
16-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Yes you could damage motor. You'll notice the excess oil coming out of breather lines.

aaronng
16-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Up to 5 mm above maximum is fine. Worst I've had was 10mm above max in the K-series, and it was still not burning/foaming nor did I experience loss of power.

aaronng
16-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Im not to sure but it isnt very good. If the oil splashes and hits your crank, it will wreck your crank bearings or something along those lines. But ive been told not to overfill.

There is a splash shield between the crank and the oil in the sump.

EuroDude
16-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I had 8 Litres in my EG Civic once, drove home blowing white smoke and the car performed really bad.

Cleaned the spark plugs and drained the excess oil, good as new :p

SLOWEGG
16-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I had 8 Litres in my EG Civic once, drove home blowing white smoke and the car performed really bad.

Cleaned the spark plugs and drained the excess oil, good as new :p

LOL my friend did the same with his dc2, he kept topping it up then one day it kept blowing heaps of white smoke. Then when he did a service it had like almost a bucket full of oil (7Lish).

Slow96GSR
16-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Had a guy here who was at the Army post tell me a good one. He was working at the motor pool and had a guy working with him. He had his minion go out and top off all the tanks oil so they were ready for that weeks exercises. Well he toped off all the tanks and it took all day. My friend was like, "Why'd it take so long?" The other guy replied, "I had to go load up with new oil barrels." Well when they checked the "dip sticks" they noticed something... he FILLED the motors and was about to over flow out of the filler neck. He put about 1.5 drums in each motor. Moral of the story is, going over a little is ok, but if you over fill you could have a long week ahead of you draining it. He should of used some comon sense.

aaronng
16-01-2007, 10:29 PM
8 litres....... OMG.... that is totally bad and on the level on the dipstick should be at half the length! My 1cm over the max was only 100-200 ml extra.

roar
16-01-2007, 10:53 PM
from the bottom hole to the top hole indicator is roughly 1 quart (1 litre)

muhhan
16-01-2007, 10:55 PM
aaronng, is the splash shield only in the K-series or is it found in the D, B, and everything else?

Zilli
17-01-2007, 07:41 AM
furthermore, if your motor is old then you might blow seals

bennjamin
17-01-2007, 07:46 AM
furthermore, if your motor is old then you might blow seals

ditto. Older cars will blow seals - when excess oil reaches normal operating pressure etc. The engine will slowly burn off the excess oil but its obviously recommended to get the right level in

aaronng
17-01-2007, 09:26 AM
aaronng, is the splash shield only in the K-series or is it found in the D, B, and everything else?

I think all of them have it. This is a pic of the underside of the b18c. Underneath that shield is the crank.

Remember that the shield protects against splashes. If someone fills the engine with 8 litres of oil, the oil level could get high enough, even higher than the shield and will come into contact with the crank (which is what causes foaming).

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6274/gsr88nf5.jpg

ECU-MAN
17-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Had a guy here who was at the Army post tell me a good one. He was working at the motor pool and had a guy working with him. He had his minion go out and top off all the tanks oil so they were ready for that weeks exercises. Well he toped off all the tanks and it took all day. My friend was like, "Why'd it take so long?" The other guy replied, "I had to go load up with new oil barrels." Well when they checked the "dip sticks" they noticed something... he FILLED the motors and was about to over flow out of the filler neck. He put about 1.5 drums in each motor. Moral of the story is, going over a little is ok, but if you over fill you could have a long week ahead of you draining it. He should of used some comon sense.

LOL thats some funny shit :)

Mr_will
17-01-2007, 05:08 PM
i have been lead to believe it puts more pressure on the main bearing.

ian
17-01-2007, 08:53 PM
thanks for the input fellas.

.........aaron always full of knowledge.

green_machine
11-02-2007, 08:24 PM
8 litres into an eg!!suprised it didnt hydraulic lock it self!
alittle bit over is ok as it will probaly burn off as ur drivin till ur next service but not 8 litres.

BlitZ
12-02-2007, 02:35 PM
how soon u boys check your oil after u swithch it off.. this makes a big difference as to how much oil u will have..

Rasputin
12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah, you should wait 10-15mins, for the oil to drain back into the sump.
Try and make sure the car is as level as possible, too.

TODA AU
12-02-2007, 09:05 PM
More oil is not so bad...
It's moving around the engine when it's running...
1cm even 2cm over will have little ill effect when engine is stopped...
The correct level on the dip stick when it's running is about as over full as you'd want to go.
(Gotta be quick with the stick)
This is an old trick to help stop oil surge on the track... ;)

ACTI0NMAN-1
12-02-2007, 09:15 PM
that reminds me, do people actually get their rods knife edged? or is it all a bunch of wank?

bennjamin
12-02-2007, 09:20 PM
knife edged rods are to reduce friction to TDC and the combustion cycle ~ that isnt relevant about over filling oil. Have look at the US patent HERE (http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5398652-description.html) and learn abit more or make a thread about it

TODA AU
12-02-2007, 09:28 PM
that reminds me, do people actually get their rods knife edged? or is it all a bunch of wank?

The tern knife edge generally refers to the change in shape of the counter weight of the crankshaft.
The idea is to help it both spin through the crankcase air (aerodynamics) and to help flick oil off.
Polishing and or oil dispersant coatings work well also.
(Albeit prohibitivly expensive for a road engine)
Re rods..
It's normal to shot peen, balance, lighten, polish & coat rods...
+ the usual overhaul practices (close & hone etc)
Adding a knife edge is not at all normal as the potential to introduce a stress raiser is high.